PDA

View Full Version : Over 50

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SANDYININD
Thu, Mar-06-03, 08:42
HI,

I am over 50!!

I would like to talk with others over 50 that are on the
low-carb diet....

thank you...

:wave:

tofi
Thu, Mar-06-03, 13:10
Some of the over-50's here won't admit to it :p , and after LCing, they don't LOOK like it either. ;)

Of the ones who will admit their ages, you can click on the profile icon of anyone who interests you (at the bottom of all their messages) and get in touch. Their birthday is in the Profile but not always the year.

Kayceecan
Thu, Mar-06-03, 14:40

Hi Sandy,

I'm one of those baby boomers too.... :D Welcome back to the forum. Looks like the last time you were here was in September. I am also a returnee.......Re-started 2/24/03. Hopefully I'll stick with it! But age and medications really make it difficult! But the sad story is all in my journal! :p How are you doing so far? How long have you been doing it this time? Sure hope you see lots of progress. :thup:

Well, good luck...come visit my journal sometime.......

RCFletcher
Thu, Mar-06-03, 15:57
Hi SANDY!

I'm 52 and I've been low carbing for about 18 months. Lost about 40lbs - several health complaints gone away and feel great!

Good luck with this way of eating

Robert (a Brit in Belarus)

jers52
Thu, Mar-06-03, 18:32
I am 51 - don't feel old at all and am planning that this LCing lifestyle will help me so I don't look older either!

Have been at it for just 2 months (as of yesterday)

Jan

rustpot
Thu, Mar-06-03, 19:19
If I said that my avatar picture was taken exactly 50 years ago......

And i don't feel a day over 45! ;)

purnois
Thu, Mar-06-03, 20:13
Hi Sandy!

I'll be 53 next month. Been on Atkins for over a year now and am off all of the digestive medications that I was guzzling.

I live about two hours west of you and come to Indianapolis frequently. Last time we were there we ate at CiCi's on 38th Street. The manager saw us eating the tops off of our pizza and came over to tell us they make crustless "pizzas" for all of their Atkins customers. Hubby and I just looked at each other in amazement (what, are we wearing signs on our heads!?!?). We were thrilled. Where else can you get a buffet meal for $2.99 made special to order? WOW!!

Kathy

Rosebud
Thu, Mar-06-03, 21:22
Hi Sandy,

Not sure what I'm doing in this thread - I'm only 39! (With quite a few years experience...) :p

And yes, age, menopause and medications may have slowed me down, but there is certainly less of me now than this time last year - and fewer medications too, come to think of it.
Had I not chosen low carbing, I would almost certainly have been bigger, not to mention unhealthier, by now.

Cheers!

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

lucyr
Sun, Mar-09-03, 05:13
Hello Sandy.

Didn't you know, 50 is the new 40??

I am 52, feel 42 and will look it in a few months time. I don't intend to give in to the 'inevitable' decline in energy and health. I used to pop indigestion tablets all the time. No longer. I take glucosamine and chondriatin to prevent aches and pains, and soy isoflavones to get rid of any hormonal symptoms. Very effective.

So, onwards and upwards I say. It can only get better!!

Auntie J
Sun, Mar-09-03, 06:50
This is how I feel about it---I'm 56 & I think the old adage of "you can't learn any younger" can be applied to me. I have tried every "diet" in the world, some twice. This seems to be a WOL I can deal with, besides I've spent a fortune on "supplies"! :eek: IMHO it is a learning process, I'm weeding out the icky products (eg: KETO BREAD MIX), trying to find an acceptable bread recipe that I can make. Physically, I really do feel better, mentally I'm doing better too, This is no different that having a medical condition that needs special attention, it is a medical condition that needs LOTS of special attention! In a couple weeks I have to go for a yearly physical, I'm anxious to see my lab values after about 3 months of low carbing. Hang in there, I know I'm going to "keep hanging". Marla

janetkind
Sun, Mar-09-03, 13:30
:wave: :daze: :wave: :roll: :wave:

I just turned 53. Dont look it or feel it. Pretty good shape for the shape am in. ha
Lets email to help us young folks, i started atkins Feb1-03.
janet

pbaxle1
Sun, Mar-09-03, 16:48
I must be the "senior" of this senior group. I just turned 65, but look at least 10 years younger. Healthy, except I have high blood pressure, and I'm hoping losing 25-30 lbs will help lower it and take me off some meds.

Let me know how all of you are doing...this darn weight just crept up on me gradually since age 50. As a young woman I could eat and drink anything :exclm:

Magicslr
Sun, Mar-09-03, 17:18
Hey Pat,

I used to wish I could have eaten anything when I was younger, but I couldn't and now I've found my new WOL. LC beats all the diets I've been on all my life.

I was totally addicted to sugar, ate it in some form from morning to night, someday I'll have to put my addiction into my journal.

Now, no cravings (never had that before), if I'm hungry I eat and am committed to this WOL and WOE. I feel so good physically - never could say that before either.

Wishing the same for you.

Magic :wave:

Lesle
Sun, Mar-09-03, 21:46
Just turned 51 here. Feeling pretty good except for the effect of the extra weight on achy knees and joints.
Hoping atkins will help with that soon!
Nice to see a group my own age
Lesle

GrammaDeni
Sun, Mar-09-03, 22:04
Hi girls, I am 56, I combine somersize and Atkins and it works great. Hubby has lost 12 lbs and I have lost all the weight I gained over the holidays, 8 lbs. I am only 5 feet tall so I need to keep my weight down to avoid looking very round. I can stay at 117 eaisly on this way of eating. I am also on HRT, Prempro, I know I should prob get off of it, but can't stand those night sweats. And I worry about my bones too. I should try soy--Lucyr, did you get the soy icoflavones over the counter? Does it help with bone loose too? Thanks,
Denise

lucyr
Mon, Mar-10-03, 02:32
Hello denise, No I didn't. I buy them from a company in Guernsey, one of the Channel Isles. The company is called HEALTHSPAN. I have never looked for them in a health food shop. I expect you can get them.
I think they would be good for whatever ails you, as they have an oestrogen-like efect on the body and stabilise hormones. Apparently Japanese women do not suffer much from the menopause because of the high levels of soy they eat. I do not find it easy to get through a lot of soy, and these pills are the answer. A neighbour was having hot flushes every hour or so, and that stopped totally when she started the soy pills. I did try hrt, because of worries about bones (my mum is quite frail now) but got panic attacks and migraines. These pills appear to be side effect free and I have been taking them for 2 years.

And I can't reccomend glucosamine and chondriatin highly enough for aches and pains. My arthritic mum is down to one prescription pill a day (from about 10). A friend was waiting for a hip replacement and took them. She was virtually pain free while she waited. I find that I do not have any stiffness or pain after long walks as I used to. I have a dodgy knee, following a bad accident and I have no trouble from that either.

Sorry to sound like a snake oil saleswoman! I am a bit enthusiastic about these supplements as they have really helped me and many I know.

ewinpa
Mon, Mar-10-03, 11:08
:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
Hi, yes we are out here LOL!!!
Newbie to this forum, I am 54, I have fibromyalgia -some days feel like 39, some days feel like 112. Nice to have some company on the LC journey!

LOL Mom
Mon, Mar-10-03, 11:41
I hear you with those night sweats!!!! AWFUL! I'm only 46 but had a hysterectomy 5 years ago. I've been on Premarin ever since. However, since I found Estroven I've been able to cut my Premarin in half (I take .625 mg). Each night before going to bed I take one tablet of Estroven and the 1/2 tablet of Premarin. I haven't experienced any nightsweats at all. At one time I had tried to just cut the Premarin in half but I had such hotflashes all the time I had to go back to the full pill. So anyway, it must be the Estroven that is giving me enough to help ease the pain! Try it, give it a month, and let me know what you think!!!

Deb

Isa
Mon, Mar-10-03, 12:11
I'm going to be 50 this year. The next day I'll be over 50. Can I come and play too?

I saw a stick-thin young woman slouching down the street yesterday, shoulders curled forward, sullen and self-absorbed. And I saw a trim, well dressed woman with beautiful posture and lots of grey hair striding alongside who I guess might be her teenaged sons or grandsons...I couldn't tell. Well she looked fabulous. Guess who my new role model is?

We're fifty
We're nifty
We like our sportscars shifty

Isa

pegm
Mon, Mar-10-03, 12:36
Glad to join! I'm 51 and am also having the night sweats and hot flashes (yuk). I don't feel like 51, and people tell me that I don't look it either (not sure if they're just being polite or not -- but it's still nice to hear).

I just tell the younger ones at work that being 50 is great -- it's that much closer to retirement!

Magicslr
Mon, Mar-10-03, 13:35
Peg,

I used to tell the other women at work the same thing, and now I am retired - sort of. I like working but now do what I want when I want and no more driving thru traffic to get to the office at 7:30 am. :)

And Isa, I love sport cars. Years ago when I bought my first one, a much younger woman commented "it's so youthful". My reply was yes it is and so am I. I was probably around 50 at the time.

Magic :wave:

Teuthis
Mon, Mar-10-03, 16:59
And doing well:) What problems are you experiencing? I find that I am not able to do as much exercise as I did when I was younger. Otherwise I'm fine.

jackrabbit
Sat, Mar-15-03, 11:46
Hello everybody. Just joined up with you yesterday. I am 62 years old. I did Stillman in the early 70's. I lost 125 pounds, kept it off until about eight years ago when I went into menopause. Last fall I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. Am on a lot of medication and vitimans. I am feeling really good now. Went through a lot of pain before the diagnoses. Want to get this weight off my bones. If I could lose 80 pounds I would be happy. That is where I was before I gained. I weigh 250 now. Lo carb is better for me. I have been counting calories since the first of the year and the weight doesn't come off for me. I know this works as I have lo carbed before.

Nice to have some fellow over 50 dieters to talk to.

Jackrabbit :wave:

I come from a heavy family, have never been thin.

jeanyyy
Sat, Mar-15-03, 13:53
Hi, folks! I too am over 50 - 53 to be precise. Well into menopause, tried HRT, didn't like it, so now I'm off it. Yes, I get hot flashes but nothing I can't handle. No night sweats, though.

Harder to handle is the fatigue and the low libido - wish there was something safe to take for those things. Anyway, I am LC'ing to get rid of some of this excess poundage - I feel very uncomfortable at this size. Nice to know I'm not the only one feeling the need to DO something :)

haleyju
Sat, Mar-15-03, 21:29
I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. I'm 51. Somedays I feel great,and somedays are not as good. However, the good days are happening more since there is less of me to carry around. As for night sweats -- got em, arthritis -- looks like the elbow is in for that one, but otherwise, I'm OK. I teach school and thank heavens the kids (12th gr.) don't guess my real age.... So I guess I still look less than 50. Thank Heavens! :clap:

haleyju
180/160/140

Atrsy
Sun, Mar-16-03, 00:03
I was beginning to think I was the oldest one on this thread until I got to Pat (thanks Pat). I am 58.

I also find it very difficult to lose weight with my age. I'm in a bit of a carb fest for the past several weeks and can't seem to get my act together.

As for the Prempro and soy--don't do it! My doctor has me on Estrodial and Prometrium because Prempro was found to be dangerous. He says it's not the Premarin, but the progestin that is in it that is harmful. But adding soy is really dangerous. He told me that one soy shake can have as much estrogen in it as one Prempro pill.

If you take the soy in place of HRT, you run the risk of getting endometrial cancer (unless you have had a hysterectomy). My gyno told me that last year he had 5 cases of women with cancer because they thought they were doing the "healthy" thing by using soy instead of HRT because it was natural. He said that soy is dangerous.

I think the reason the Japanese don't have problems with soy is because they eat it in it's natural state--tofu, ect. But the soy isolates are really dangerous.

Anyway, as I said I'm over 50 also.

Carol

RoseTattoo
Sun, Jul-20-03, 07:13
Hi, everyone. I'm 53, been low-carbing for a couple of months. My problems are very high cholesterol and triglycerides, plus a lot of body fat around my middle. I'm very, very short and small boned, so can't carry any extra weight healthfully. Going through menopause right now (it's very late in my family), horrible, almost constant hot flashes, but I'm not taking anything for them, just change clothing frequently. :lol: I exercise daily, and some days feel great, and others--well, a tad like a senior citizen in the making. :lol:

Very glad to meet you all!

jude
Sun, Jul-20-03, 07:59
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to drop in and say "Hi!". I'm 61, been low carbing for about a year, down 54 lbs so far and feel great that I've finally found a "diet" that works. No health problems so far (knock on whatever).

My Mom, who is 82, started lowcarbing about a month ago and has lost 13 lbs to-date. She has arthritis and high blood pressure, so I'm hoping this woe will help in those areas as well.

BTW, I'm not sure I like the name of this group--"The Elder Lounge"? Give me a break!

judy

di52
Sun, Jul-20-03, 08:33
Hi - I'll be 51 in Oct. I'm lucky because I had my kids a little later than most of my contemoraries. My kids are now 7 and 10 which is a lot of fun. They still like to hang with me so we do a lot of swimming and biking together. My life-long goal is to always be able to keep up with the kids - or at least not lag too much behind. I just gave my son my mountain bike, which is a perfect size for him. I rollerblade while the kids ride their bikes, and the pace has been perfect for all of us. Now that Brian's got my 18-speed, he'll probably leave me in the dust. DH just got his bike tuned up, so he can join us too. My Atkins experience has been very positive so far. I loose pretty slowly - it's been 6 monthe and I'm down 15 - another 5 (or maybe 10) to go. I know why it's slow - I eat too many nuts.
Diane

Fat
Wed, Jul-23-03, 14:16
:Party: This is a great place to have a party :lol: Everyone is so friendly.

Hello everyone, I am 55 and keep thinking I am still 54, so my 15 yr old DD keeps telling me my age. Sometimes I can be so forget full it scares me. I know my mom has Dementa and she does that all the time and so I think no, not me.

Diane, love your cat... I have one just like it. He is a fat cat, and finicky......O man....won't eat anything but his favorite cat food. Neighbor shot him in the eye with a pelet gun and now he is blind in his right eye. Vet said he can't take the pelet out without taking out his eye. He healed up just fine. His tear duc is no good and his eye waters a lot. He is our house cat now.

Arie
Wed, Jul-23-03, 15:14
I am new to the category. I turned 50 this past March. I am LCing in general for 2 years, and Atkins specific since May this year.

Take a peek at my before/now pictures (link in my sig). This diet made me look and feel younger, and I am planning to eat this way for the rest of my life....

Fat
Thu, Jul-24-03, 12:01
:cry: Diane, I sent you PM but you are too full to recieve it.

TxTruker
Mon, Jul-28-03, 05:44
Hi I am new here. I am 57 and just started lcing about the first of the month.
I am trying atkins. I did not know anything about carbs until I started reading about them. It is amazing how bad to many carbs are for you and I was addicted to carbs. I find even now that if I eat the wrong carbs my body starts craving carbs again.
I hope to be able to stick with this new life style and lose the many lbs that I have gained over the years.
JJ

joizienew
Mon, Jul-28-03, 10:33
Hi there, well, I'm over 60, is that a problem? :) Anyway, I really began to fall into that pit of dispair that says, "you must accept your body will fall apart and look like lumps of mashed ptoatos because of your age". I am now beginning to say "pooo" to that stuff and whatever happens, I will not lie down and take it! I intend to low carb, body build, walk in the park and think positive loving thoughts, and I will accept however I look and love it as long as I stick to my healthy and wholistic life style program. So let's all support each other as often as possible :yay: "Learn to find places of healing. Learn to find people, places, events, and rituals that work for you. Don't worry about how to find them, they'll call to you, or you'll call them into your life." Melody Beattie

joizienew
Mon, Jul-28-03, 10:40
Hey Aire, Your'e workout program is impressive. I just started weights with a personal trainer and go to the fitness center on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Sometimes I throw in Fridays if it works. I was afraid of the weights at first, I just wasn't sure what would happen to my body, but my trainer has loaned me motivational tapes and now I am getting excited about it. I also walk in the park about every other day. I'm just starting out so I don't want to over do it and then burn out. I checked you b and a pics. Congratulations, great job. I hope to see muscles soon.

Suni
Mon, Jul-28-03, 12:39
Hi Everybody

I am 56 years old, have been low-carbing for about a year. Initially I lost 17 pounds but gained 5 or 6 back now I am battling like mad to loose those again. Before low-carbing I was on a low-fat diet for years and years and years ...

I really love this way of eating and have never felt so good. I work out at the gym 3 times a week, a combination of aerobic & weight bearing exercises. I am fairly slim everywhere except thru the middle. I am finding it difficult to loose this "roll" around my belly, which I find frustrating.

I am in the midst of menopause and am on HRT - a natural one made of a combination of soy and yam estrogen + Prometrium (progesterone). Dr. Christina Northrup has an excellent website with valuable information on it about HRT if anybody wants to check it out.
I am very happy I found a forum with people my own age.

Tanna
Mon, Jul-28-03, 13:31
I am 52 just started induction today. I too take losts of medication. High BP, heartburn pills,and hrts I guess I will see what happens I hope the meds don't keep me from getting skinnyLOL.

MsMonty
Mon, Jul-28-03, 16:13
I am 53 with 4 kids ages 33 to 14, two step-children, 3 grand children and a very neurotic Yorky-Poo and of course, a DH. I have a small business and work at home for the most part with a little bit of travel.

I used Atkins for the first time in the 80's to get rid of the weight I gained with my older kids. After I got to my goal weight of 130, I did not diet but kinda watched what I ate a little bit and if my weight went to 140 I did Atkins until I got it back under 135. That worked so well even with the birth of my two younger kids, I was able to get back to 130 easily. Then ... 2 1/2 years ago I quit smoking and promptly put on 30 pounds.

I was on HRT for a while and struggled and lost nothing and could not seem to even get into ketosis so I gave up. I feel so much better off the HRT except for the hot flashes and night sweats. Strangely enough I totally eliminated my hot flashes and night sweats with Vit C/E until Atkins....they came back... I am guessing it’s because of Atkins but its bearable and I have lost 16 pounds since Jun 1.

Anyway, I am happy as a clam to be here :)

MsMonty

Fat
Mon, Jul-28-03, 16:43
Hello to all the newcomers. It is wonderful for you to be here. Great place to learn from all the other Low Carbers that have doing this for a long time. I myself have only been here since April 17th and still learning myself. I too am going through menopause since 6 yrs ago. I cannot take anything for it because of blood clots that I have had in the past. I have high blood pressure and Thyroid problems. But hey, I get to eat myself thin...so why should I worry. I am having the time of my life.....
Happy LCing........

MizSteaks
Mon, Jul-28-03, 22:14
Welcome everybody! It is so good to see so many new faces here. :D It was a little lonely before with just four or five of us here, hence the 'remodeling' idea. Hope you all feel free to jump in and help us create a comfortable home here for low carbers who have 'lived' a little. LOL! Share you dieting tips, complaints, problems, ideas, rants, challenges....ask questions.

Check out the thread Penelope started about HRT and hysterectomy. She could use some support over there on it

Don't forget to give us your idea of a good name for this sub-forum so we can vote on it. Rosebud is our Moderator Mistress and is being kind enough to keep an eye on us and help us get started. She's also "one of us", but don't tell...ssshhhhhh. :D

Happy low carbing!
Nance

Isa
Tue, Jul-29-03, 08:43
Hi all you fabulous 50s (and over). I've been LCing and exercising since mid-January, ever since I went to a friend's 50th birthday party where I felt dumpy and matronly next to this group of friends who were all trim and athletic. To date I've lost 21 pounds and gained self-respect. But I've discovered that the weight just doesn't fly off like it used to, does it!? I have to exercise at least 5 days a week (running and Pilates three, walking two) just to maintain!

I've always felt younger inside, and now I look younger outside.

I'm turning 50 this year and I've got the hot flashes to prove it. But at least I don't have my extra padding anymore.

Is there anyone out there who is not taking HRT for hot flashes? I'd love to hear how you cope with it.

Best regards and keep up the great work!

Isa

Suni
Tue, Jul-29-03, 08:54
Good Morning Everyone

I am sending along a website that I found valuable information about menopause. Dr. Christine Northrup is "our" age and she specializes in women's health. With the confliction opinions from the health field about HRT I wanted to learn as much as I could so I could take HRT (horrendous hot flashes, inability to sleep, mood swings - UGH!) but remain healthy (not worry about developing cancer(s)). She discusses the benefits of HRT plus she supplies information onhow to control the symptoms of menopause without taking HRT. I found it useful and informative and I hope others will also. This is the link below.
http://www.drnorthrup.com/hc_menopause.php

Have GREAT day!

MizSteaks
Tue, Jul-29-03, 11:00
Good morning folks!

Hope everybody has a successful day of resisting the bad carbs today! I was a bad girl yesterday and have to get back on track. :(

Suni, thanks for the web site! That is interesting information and it's nice to learn from a 'peer' instead of a male who has no idea what we go through! :) Could you post it over on Penelope's 'Mature Goddess' thread too? She's interested in hearing from ladies who have had hysterectomies and are on HRT. Perfect fit! Thanks so much!

It's so hot here in Oregon today (100+) I can't tell a hot flash from just the terrible heat. We're used to rain not heat! :D

Have a terrific Tuesday!
Nance

Suni
Tue, Jul-29-03, 11:09
Hi Nance - I'll be glad to post this but you'll have to give me some help as I don't know how to get to Penelope's "Mature Goddess" thread.

Even on low-dose HRT, I find that I am more sensitive to the heat and it has been unseasonably hot and sunny in Vancouver. However, we're not complaining as this sunshine is wonderful and a welcome break from the rain we usually experience.

I am doing fairly well sticking to my low-carb WOE. Seldom do I have terrible cravings for sweets like I used to have - I used to be like an alcholic after alcohol - "had" to have it (sugar) but thank goodness, for the most part, the carvings have almost stopped. And if I do have one, I try and make myself wait about 10 minutes. I also use this trick. I know this sounds strange but it works for me and possibly it may work or somebody else.

I miss the "chewing" - I enjoyed chewy candy and loved to chomp on chocolate. When I need something sweet - usually for me it is right after dinner, I keep a bag of pitted prunes on the countertop. When I feel the "need" for something sweet I eat 3 - 4 prunes directly from the bag. I get the chewing satisfaction I want, the sweet taste I am craving and I feel satisfied without doing any damage. I don't know if anybody else wants to try it, but for me, it works!

Chow for now.

Fat
Tue, Jul-29-03, 12:10
Afternoon all,

Hello Isa, I can't take anything for hot flashes because I have had blood clots in my leg before. I know how you feel about feeling out of place in a group of fit and trim people. I feel like hiding in a corner, or just leaving. I always have a feeling they are secretly talking about me being fat. Of course I am sure they have better things to talk about, but that is how I feel. At my age everyone is younger, thinner...but then I remember so was I at that age, and these others are the new generation that will some day have my same problem with their diet of eating junk food and getting fat, just because no one tells them what they eat is going to turn on them one day and they won't even see it coming. I have got my 15 yr old DD to read labels and watch what she eats...and to learn from my mistakes. She say's she is my Health Cop...She bugs me until I exercise with her...LOL

Hello Suni. Site is great.I can't take a thing for my hot flashes and I make my family miserable keeping the air conditioner on high, to the point were they have to cover up or leave the room. And at night I only use a sheet, with a huge fan on right in my face with the air going too. Everyone thinks it is winter time.

Hello Steaks...speaking of hot...we have alot of that here too. we have 5 dogs and guess who takes them all out to potty.......Would like to just stay as close as I can to the cool air inside.

MsMonty
Tue, Jul-29-03, 16:45
Here are the links to a few 'menopause' sites I frequent.

http://www.menopause-online.com/
http://www.earlymenopause.com/
http://www.power-surge.com/intro.htm

All three have bullentin boards and tons of information. I found it very useful :thup:

MsMonty

Fat
Tue, Jul-29-03, 18:28
MzMonty.....Thank you for the sites

joizienew
Tue, Jul-29-03, 19:16
Hey Isa, I'm 63, and started my hot flashes when I had a complete hysterectomy to get rid of cancer way back in 1989. I took estrogen therapy for years, but since I moved to Tennessee (9/2002) I don't have medical insurance, so I stopped all medications. The happy news is tht the side effects from the estrogen are gone, i.e. migraine headaches and weight gain to mention just two. Now the hot flashes are a bother, but I try to embrace them as something my body does once in a while. I no longer fight them and get upset. I noticed that they come on when I am the slightest bit stressed, so I remind myself to calm down and take a couple deep breaths. I also read that in some cultures, women don't get hot flashes. I wish there was more research on this subject. I bought a couple of fans and when one starts I grab a fan. I even announce to anyone watching that I am having a hot flash. This seems to amuse people, and it helps me to feel that I'm ok. One thing about a hot flash, it makes you pay attention to your body! I can live with them...

MizSteaks
Tue, Jul-29-03, 19:35
Suni, wwich Vancouver are you in? The Washington one or the Canadian one? If it's the Washington one, we are almost neighbors!
To find the thread on HRT the Penelope posted, scroll down under the text on this thread until you come to 'FORUM JUMP...and it shows Elders Lounge. Hit 'go' and it will show all of the threads posted on this sub-forum. Penelope's is the one called Mature Goddess.

Joyce, you have such a good attitude! I am going to learn a ton from you I can tell. I've already learned from Fat (Fit and Trim!) and from chiqui and Pattie and everybody else here. Isn't it exciting to have this place to come to? I feel like I've 'come home'.

I have been off my HRT for about 2 months now. Not because the doctor said I could, I just ran out and didn't tell him. :( Me bad! I don't mind the hot flashes too much...been going through them since my hysto some 29 years ago. They just remind me that I am ALL female! LOL!

Happy LC'ing everybody!!
Nance

Suni
Wed, Jul-30-03, 08:47
Happy Wednesday Morning

Nance: I will try and find the Mature Goddess post and send along info. I saw Dr. Christina Northrup on a PBS Special and was most impressed with her. She specializes in women's health and menopause because when she began going thru the Big M she could not find enough information or a doctor to go to herself. I was so happy to find a female doctor our age even if it was on TV. I really like our family physician but when I try and describe the hot flashes, mood swings and sleepleness he just "looks" at me - like I'm exaggerating (or lying) or over-reacting. I take HRT to keep me "normal" at work. I work in a mostly male environment and I was embarassed by the hot flashes and HRT helps control them.

I live in Vancouver, Canada, for the past 10 years. Before we moved here I lived in southern Ontario.

If/when I am able to stop working full-time I am going to try and go off of HRT and try to control the symptoms naturally as Dr. Northrup has suggested. But until that time they help me cope.

Good news: I weighed myself today (every Wed.) and I am down 1.2 lbs. YEAH!!!

MizSteaks
Thu, Jul-31-03, 08:17
WOOHOO Suni! Another weight loss for you...that's great!

I'll have to check out some of Dr. Northrup's books. You sound completely sold on her and that's a terrific recommendation. :)

I am not on HRT right now...trying it without. I had a complete hysto 29 years ago and decided that was long enough to take stuff for it. I have hot flashes occasionally, but not too bad. I was on Menest which is a soy based formula I believe and will go back on it if the doc says I need to. I am trying to get off as many prescriptions as I can. I'm down from 13 to 7 now so I'm gaining!

Giving Thursday thanks for this WOE!
Nance

Isa
Thu, Jul-31-03, 11:36
Hey Joyce...I enjoyed reading your wisdom about hot flashes. I can't know if mine are strong or weak in comparison with another woman's, but since I seem to be able to get through them without too much fuss and bother I think I'll just embrace them, as you say, and know that I'm doing all I can to stay healthy and fit. My ob/gyn and I are going to monitor my health and see if avoiding HRT will work for me. My mom got through her menopause just fine (she says). Perhaps embracing my hot flashes will help me to watch my mood swings, too. My family will love that!

And...er...does anyone want to talk about libido? Or lack thereof? I'm married to the coolest guy...so sweet and handsome and funny and slim and stylish. All those things that make me swoon. But I'd rather curl up next to him and purr than tear him limb from limb with passion. He'd much prefer the latter. But he's patient. Good thing, too. I could go for weeks without "it" and feel just dandy. Can't say the same for him. And it makes me feel guilty about myself.

Any words of wisdom?

Isa (purring)

Suni
Thu, Jul-31-03, 11:59
Hi (purring) Isa

Dr. Christina Northrup discusses this on her website so you may want to take a look. I believe I read somewhere that women who loose their libido have low testosterone levels. This apparently can be remedied easily with an application of topical testosterone cream. So maybe because your in the Big M and estrogen is diminishing, so are your testosterone hormones. The link to her website is:
http://www.drnorthrup.com/ - you may find the info you need.

Before menopause I never had mood swings - NEVER. I was the proverbial "happy camper". Then I hit menopause and one minute I was estatic, the next minute I was angry and wanted to rip somebody's head off, and the next I was weepy - I felt totally out of control. The hot flashes were bad too. I could feel them coming on and I would unbutton the cuffs of my blouse and undo the neck and slip off my shoes to try and cool down. I tried to do this very quietly because I work with mostly men and I was self-concious. A few minutes later I would get cold and I would button up everything and put back on my shoes. Within 5 minutes I'd get another hot flash - I mean I was unbuttoning and taking off shoes and clothes fast than a stripper.

HRT keeps me sane! I am going to take in the printout from Dr. Northrup's page and give it my doctor and request he change my estrogen. I am already on the progesterone she recommends. I am going to try and stay on HRT for about another 4 years, then I will be 60, hopefully retired and through the Big M.

Hope you find help on her website.

Just my opinion but I believe that women, like men, as they age, need a bit more "warm up" time to get them in the mood to do "it".

I know this is completely off topic but are there any women in this forum who's husbands and/or partners have had prostate cance with the prostate being removed? If there are would you be willing to e-mail me privately so we could dialoge about this a bit. I would be most appreciative.

MizSteaks
Fri, Aug-01-03, 10:20
Libido? What's that? LOL! Been so long since I had any I can just vaguely remember those 'tear him limb from limb' wrestling matches!! As Bob Hope would say...God rest him...'thanks for the memories'!! :D

I ask myself some times if I REALLY miss those days....and I get different answers all the time so I haven't explored any 'remedies' for it. Musn't let hubby hear that remedies are even available, or the choice will be out of my hands...!

This is a topic of discussion with every woman I know...do you miss 'IT'.....95% say nope....wouldn't care if I never have 'IT' again, ever! Seems like when we have our children and put that part of our lives behind us, the desire for 'IT' diminishes greatly. I am of the belief that woman have sex to pro-create...men have sex to re-create...or for recreation. I do like my 'cuddles' though. :) Hope this subject gets explored some more on here!

I also hope the subject of prostate problems as men age would be addressed on here. Men? Are you listening?

Be healthy!
Nance

Fat
Sat, Aug-02-03, 21:55
Steaks, have you noticed no one has said anything on this thread since you last posted. I have been advoiding it myself...then I thought...I will just mention it to you.................LOL

joizienew
Sun, Aug-03-03, 06:59
Hey everyone, Prior to moving to Tennessee, I was in a relationship for five years. My libido was fine, his was not. So it's not always the woman. His a-sexuality (he avoided intimacy, touching, and affection also) chipped away at my self-esteem and contributed to my decision to leave. As for now, I am not involved with anyone so if that day ever comes, I'll have to see what's up with me sexually. I do believe that there are many things involved in human sexuality, and we should be careful not to blame everything on 'age' or hormones.

MizSteaks
Sun, Aug-03-03, 08:17
Joyce, thanks for 'saving' me! LOL! DeAnna, I HAD noticed that, in fact!! LOL!

This is a subject that affects a large number of us...why doesn't anybody want to talk about it? Too public a forum? But nobody here 'really' 'knows' us...so what can it hurt. IMO, it's one of the best uses for this forum. Common, shared problems and how the low carb WOE alters/cures/worsens (never!)/improves whatever ails us as we age.

Who's going to rescue me this time?! LOL!

Fat
Sun, Aug-03-03, 12:55
I will PM you later... when DH is gone.

pattie
Mon, Aug-04-03, 03:46
Hi everyone :wave:
sorry I have not posted for awhile ..it is just to damn hot here. At 10:30 a.m. it was already 85!! the whole week looks to be in the high to low 90s.I have no desire to sit here at the computer with the fan blowing more hot air on.
I will write more when the weather is cooler or I have a short cool period in between hot flashes :)
But I am staying with the plan and now have lost 20LB. :hyper:
It is great to see so many new faces..love reading the post.
Went to a BBQ last weekend slipped a bit but notto bad,2 small pieces french bread with tomatoe and onion,and two tortilinies....no beeer or wine,. otherwise stayed with carb limits.
Now I am off to go sit in a cool tub and study my German...
later ladies
:sunny:
Pattie

MizSteaks
Mon, Aug-04-03, 08:42
pattie, it's so good to hear from you!! So sorry about the heat. We just had a week of sizzling temps too. I do NOT function well when it gets that way. Try to stay cool...and congratulations on sticking to Plan!! So you bhobbled a couple times...you're doing good!

Joyce, you are absolutely right about the different causes. Just might be too uncomfortable a subject for this forum. There are plenty of other places on the www to discuss it. Wouldn't want this marvelous thread to die because of this, so....anybody tried any new recipes lately?!!! :D

Have a great day today!
Nance

joizienew
Mon, Aug-04-03, 11:17
Hey everyone, I tried the cauliflower tuna bake, I wasn't crazy about it. I may mess with it and try to get it more to my liking cause I love having a casserole in the frige ready for a side dish. I got a big bag of pork rinds and I am planning to put them in my cuizanart to make powder. These are so handy for so many things. I also have the vinegar and sour cream ones, they are really tasty. I think these would make a great "breading" for chicken or pork chops.

MizSteaks
Mon, Aug-04-03, 16:28
Thanks for the 'rescue' Joyce! LOL!

Cauliflower and tuna? Doesn't even sound too good to me. I love the Cauli-flied Rice recipe on here though and make a Faux-tato Salad at least once every couple weeks or so. The grandkids love it and won't eat regular potato salad any more. They are doing a good job of learning the low carb ropes at the tender ages of 6 and 7 (Oldest daughters 2 older children) They told me today that they won't drink soda pop any more 'cause it 'makes me get in trouble cause it gives me too much energy"! Hey! That's close enough for now!

Joyce, how's the blister? I love this new pair of New Balance walking shoes I just got. Not one bit of 'breaking in' and not one uncomfortable spot!! Boy they feel good! Wonder if they'll last for the 2,110 mile bike ride to St Louis, MO I commited to on the excercise challenge? LOL!

Have a terrific day!
Nance

joizienew
Mon, Aug-04-03, 19:09
Wow woman, am I impressed! Are you serious about the bike ride? Tell me more please...My shoes are OK if I put kleenex over each heel and lifts in the bottom, otherwise I get blisters on the heel and one right under that lump is (what is that called?)on the outside of your foot. Doesn't that suck, I paid a lot of money for these shoes. They are called 'Easy Spirit'. Not recommending them.

MizSteaks
Mon, Aug-04-03, 19:53
Joyce, there's a bunch of us over on Chloesue's thread (Looking for ladies in their 50's) that are having a cyber challenge excercise thing. SOme of us are doing treadmills, some of us are biking, some are just able to cheer us on for now....you should join us!

Our first thought was to pick a central spot in the US and all head for it. We picked St. Louis and since I'm the one who is the fartherest away, I get to travle farther! LOL! We've since changed it to a more tamed down challenge of going 100 miles or maybe doing just times. Come get involved with us! You like to walk...you've talked about that in your other posts. We're having a blast!

Wish you could try a pair of New Balance shoes! My gosh they are so comfortable! I've paid tons of bucks for shoes before and nothing has felt this good...EVER!

Have a great evening!
Nance

Fat
Mon, Aug-04-03, 20:18
Hello everyone....So Steaks I will be here in Mo waiting for you to arrive. Just let me know when....LOL

MizSteaks
Mon, Aug-04-03, 20:28
LOL Fat! If I figured it out right, riding 5 miles a day it will take me 422 days or about late September, 2004!!! LOL! Hope you'll have some water ready for me when I get there! :D Hey! You should start in MY direction and we'll meet and both turn around halfway and head back home! What do ya say? Want to join us? We're having so much fun over there. Be even more fun if you were with us. :)

Nance

Fat
Mon, Aug-04-03, 22:27
Well, I could meet you halfway, but would probably want to go home with you...LOL
I do leg raises and situps and hand weights. I am really getting prunie

joizienew
Tue, Aug-05-03, 07:56
Hey steaks, Where did you get the shoes? I'd like to check them out. Also, how do I get to that thread, Chloesue's? I would love to come over and chat...

MizSteaks
Tue, Aug-05-03, 08:18
Good morning Joyce! Gotta write real fast before this thing crashes again!

Here's the addy for the excercise challenge thread...well...that's what it ended up being! LOL!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=125926&page=5

Afraid you'll have to copy and paste it...I can't do those fancy shmancy links! :D

Check out this website for the shoes...they have a store finder selection button. I checked out their fitting specialists and found a little store right downtown in our town...someplace I NEVER go! I have found them in most of the department and sports stores in this area.

www.newbalance.com

Have a terrific day! I saw you over at the pedometer challenge thread. I might pick up one of thoise and join too! Looks like great motivation!!
Nance

Suni
Tue, Aug-05-03, 10:23
Hi and Happy Monday

I will take the plunge and join you because my self-esteem is about as low as a snakes belly right now! I was married for 24 years to an an abusive, raging, womanizing alcoholic. He finally pushed me too far and I left my marriage. I took therapy and was doing just GREAT. A few years later I met a very nice man - gently, kind, considerate and we married after living together for about 6 years. For the first time in my life I discovered sex could be enjoyable. Then two years ago he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and had to have his prostate out. Since then he's a changed man. I know this sounds unkind but the only comparrison I can give to explain the difference that any of you could understand is - when you get a male dog neutered.
My new husband is now withdrawn, has lost interest in almost everything - he sort of goes thru the motions but there is no "life" to him anymore. He went to the doctor for a prescription for Viagara but he can't be bothered to take it regularly and seems disinterested in sex and or affection. I have tried being the agressor, I have tried leaving him alonge, I have taken counceling to try and talk with him, I am at my wits end! He doesn't even want to give or receive affection - it is like we're room mates - totally asexual human beings living together. There used to be such a closeness and intimacy - but intimacy - what's that!
This is why I am desperate to talk with any other women and/or men who have had this operation so I can ask them "is this normal" and if it is "what can I do about it". I am 56 and have a relationship of an 80+ year old!

Any help anybody can give me would be much apprecaited. Thanks
Two years ago

joizienew
Tue, Aug-05-03, 10:58
Hey everyone, I just wanted to jump on here and share the juice I found today. It's called 'Diet V8 Splash, Tropical Blend', and it has only 3 grams of carbs in an 8 oz. glass. It tastes great! I'ts a little pricey, but it provides some variety to what I can drink besides water... :yay:

MizSteaks
Tue, Aug-05-03, 16:32
Hi ladies! Hope this thing doesn't crash again! Been having hiccups again today and we've had thunder showers moving over so have to jump off when they're near.

Suni, your husband sounds like he is in a deep depression! Has he been checked by his doctor for that? I know several men who have had their prostates removed and none of them have reacted that way. That doesn't mean anything...but I would have him checked. My husband went through a terrible depression brought on by substance abuse about 6 years ago and medication was a life saver for him. Funny thing was the substances that he abused were coffee (caffiene) and cigarettes (nicotine)! Had lots of worries over a job he got put on that had 'gone sour' and he worried himself right into an 'almost' breakdown. See if you can talk to hubby's doctor about that possiblity. Good luck Honey!

Joyce I saw that juice just today! Didn't buy it though because I had something else I wanted to try. I went crazy buying sugar free davinci syrups today! Bought 21 different flavors and just poured a glass of Club Soda...no carbs...and added sf root beer syrup..no carbs. It isn't half bad!! I got all of the syrups at our local Cash and Carry store that supplies the restaurants and such. It's a great place to get some real bargains! For example..I pay almost $7 for the large bottle of davinci in the local Safeway store...it's $3.69 at C & C! How does Toasted Coconut low carb home made ice cream sound?! Or blueberry, or German Chocolate Cake? Oh the possibilities!! I use the hazlenut in my coffee every morning with real cream so I don't have to buy the International coffee creamers any more. :)

Gotta go check into the excercise thread. See ya later!
Nance

Fat
Wed, Aug-06-03, 13:20
Steaks, do you always buy store bought LC drinks and foods? It seems to me all that stuff has too many carbs in it. How many carbs a day do you eat anyway. I keep mine down 20 or under. I have a hard time losing otherwise. I looked at LC foods at the store before.... and they had my whole day of carbs in them for just one serving.

MizSteaks
Wed, Aug-06-03, 21:51
DeAnna, actually I hardly buy any special low carb foods. We're surrounded with good natural foods that work into the diet so well that it isn't necessary in my opinion to buy 'special'...which just means processed. Those I avoid period.

I bought the sf davinci syrups for several reasons. They can be used in everything from ice cream as flavoring PLUS sweetener with zero carbs to main dishes and drinks. We're trying to break Jims Pepsi addiciton by using club soda...no carbs...flavored with the syrup...no carbs. My drink of choice is plain water. Yes I got carried away, but now the whole family can have a ball trying out the flavors and see which ones they like to buy for themselves. I had the money to do this...they don't. We all benefit. :)

My docs have asked me to keep my carbs at 60 per day. Any lower and my kidney function goes wonky. After having kidney failure twice...I listen. I am impressed with any of you that can do the diet in the spirit with which Dr A designed it. I cannot do it that way which is why weight loss for me will be excruciatingly slooooooow. But the health benefits of this WOE are mine and will remain mine forever.

Have a good evening all!
Nance

Fat
Thu, Aug-07-03, 08:17
Ok Steaks, now I understand you a little better. Thank you for telling me all this.
My husband also is an addict to Pepsie. Poor guy cannot go a day without a six pack. That is why he has so many health problems. All that sugar. I read there is 9 teaspoons in one 12 oz can. Sickening huh? I also used to drink it but thank God LC took all that from me.

Can you pm me and explain to me in detail how to post a pic. I have tried and cannot figuare it out. Say's my pics are too big or something. How do you get them the right size? I would really appreciate it Steaks. Thank you.
I missed talking to you yesterday. Do you have a day job?

MizSteaks
Thu, Aug-07-03, 08:36
Hey DeAnna, I'm as computer challenged as you are!! :D Maybe Joyce can help you...she has a gorgeous picture of herself on here. Several of the others do too...we'll see if we can get you (US!) some help. There are probably instructions on site somewhere if we knew where to look.

I don't have a day job actually...just a five acre place (Heaven On A Halfshell!) to take care of. Jim is an old fashioned guy who declared before we married that "..no wife of mine is going to work! I'll earn the living and you'll keep my house/home and have/raise my children. If you want a career..tell me now". That was back in the days where men's egos were more important than extra income!! I didn't have a problem with that concept so I agreed and I've been a "kept woman" for all these years!!! LOL (I know that isn't what I really am...but it sounds like more fun than 'housewife'!)

I thought about our last post from yesterday and need to add something to it. I DO have some low carb stuff. I use the Dr. Atkins Bake Mix, almond meal, flaxseed meal, and liquid stevia a lot in cooking/baking. I also have guar gum and zanthan gum but have not used them yet. I found some LC products at a specialty store here but the cost!!! YIKES! So I make do or do without for the most part. ANd....I have always avoided processed for the most part. If I can't understand from the label what the ingredients are...I figure my body won't be able to figure that out either! The only time I found Diet Rite soda it was almost $10 for a half case!! I don't think so!!!

MizSteaks
Thu, Aug-07-03, 09:15
Fat! I found the place to give us picture posting help! If you go to the main menu and go clear to the bottom, you find a Forum for technical help and support. There are whole threads in that forum about all of this stuff! Have fun! Keep the spirit!

Nance

Fat
Thu, Aug-07-03, 15:31
No wife of mine is going to work...Exact words my DH said and still does. Could they be related.....LOL...

I never ever bake. I don't think that it would help me lose, so I just don't do it. I can live without it. I have the problem of over eating baked goods.

I am going right now to see about the site you spoke about, I 'll let you know if I understand it or not.

Fat
Thu, Aug-07-03, 16:27
Hey look at me I did it, I did it....LOL It was a job and a half. I had to resize my pic, and you have to have one in someplace that is on your computer. I did mine with photo suite 4. I don't care for this pic it is too blured. Maybe that is a good thing...LOL

MizSteaks
Thu, Aug-07-03, 17:46
Well, would you LOOK at you!!! Aren't you the cutest thing! And smart too to figure all of that out! I haven't even tried! Plus, I get intimidated by how pretty all of you are and don't want my pix up by yours! :lol:

Fat
Thu, Aug-07-03, 17:55
Thank you Steaks, I sent you a PM

joizienew
Thu, Aug-07-03, 18:07
What's wrong here Fat, I can't see you. All I see is balloons...

Fat
Thu, Aug-07-03, 18:51
Sorry, but now I am using doggies.

joizienew
Fri, Aug-08-03, 06:29
Ohhh gotta love the doggies. You're getting pretty good at this Fat...

MizSteaks
Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:58
Joyce you and Fat make me look like a computer illiterate! Which I am!! :lol: :lol: I had my daughter order mine for me and it was delivered in boxes a week or so later. I bought myself a Computers for Dumbies book and cautiously started opening cartons!! It only took me about 3 hours to have it set up and turned on and I've been addicted since! Still make many many blunders...but that's how I learn! LOL! I love being able to look things up on Google to satisfy my idiotic curiosity! :lol:

Nance

Fat
Fri, Aug-08-03, 14:56
Alright ladies, I guesst this is.... a lot of fun. This one is me at age 2 1/2 1949. I have a pic of my grandmother showing her dress, and my mom, me, and my DD.
If you have any questions Steaks, I would be glad to answere them for you. My computer is an HP and I have had nothing but trouble with my first HP. This is my third one. With my first one I learned from HP techs all about getting rid of old files and what they call ghost. How to keep everything in ship shape, and get rid of programs running in the back ground that you don't use, that slows down your computer. I am not an expert, but I know quit a bit. Also have a Nephew that is an expert on these computers. Makes a living at it at a collage. Lucky him.

MizSteaks
Fri, Aug-08-03, 15:50
Fit and Trim, that's a mighty purrrrty dress ya got on ya thar! You are adorable girl!
I might take you up on the computer advice when I have more time. I have a Dell with 2000ME OPS...yeah, I know...SORRY! LOL! It's got more bugs than a swamp! :lol:

The name was 'cause I just couldn't call anybody on this site 'Fat'!! My Mama raised me better than that! And after seeing the picture...it fits you better Dear!
Nance

Fat
Fri, Aug-08-03, 16:09
Thank you Steaks, I appreciate that comment. LOL you are funny.. girl.
Always wanted a Dell. Didn't know about them until we got the HP. Is that not how things happen some times. You got a Dell...which reminds me how much I miss the Dell Dude from the boob tube.
So are you trying to say a Windows Me software. That is what I have. I saw the XP, but do not care for it...I guess because it is different as far as getting places. Everything looks different. It is like being on another planet to me.
What did you eat today....I just had a 1/2 chicken breast....going to later have a taco salad.

MizSteaks
Fri, Aug-08-03, 21:22
Well, now, see...I ate a WHOLE chicken breast for lunch! And I added a slice of ham and a piece of provolone cheese melted on top of it. Breakfast was scrambled eggs and bacon, dinner was roast chicken, mashed cauliflower and corn on the cob....and Yes! I had to have the first ear out of the garden for the season! :D I'm still within MY carb goal but missed the green veggies. Had double yesterday and will do double tomorrow to make up.

Fat
Fri, Aug-08-03, 22:11
I mostly snack on my food off and on during the day. Tonight I had the Taco Salad, and my eyes were bigger than my stomach, and I ate too much lettuce. Can't remember being this full on lettuce....LOL
Do you have your own corn field?

MizSteaks
Sat, Aug-09-03, 21:12
We have about 1/3 to 1/2 half an acre in garden and that's Jim's therapy mainly. He loves being down on his knees in the dirt pulling weeds and babying his posies and 'maters. :lol: It keeps the whole family in veggies all summer. Plus he has 18 or 19 fruit trees and 3 kinds of berries. Now you know why it;s hard for me to lose weight! I'm surrounded by food! :lol: :lol:

The property directly across form us...153 acres...is leased to a berry grower. He has 3 plantings of different kinds of strawberries and then about 100 acres of grain. Last year that 100 acres was all in corn! We get to help ourselves to anything heplants..yum yum! Now if I could just talk him into planting low carb stuff!!!

joizienew
Sun, Aug-10-03, 06:40
OK Fat, Did you know that all of your pictures change on all of your posts when you up-date them? I especially like the one where it says, "here's me at age 21/2" and the picture is of a little dog with it's tounge hanging out! You go girl! I can always use a laugh...

Steaks, you talk about your environment and your family etc, and it makes me jealous. You have the life I dream about but somehow couldn't create. You are blessed but I know you earned it...

MizSteaks
Sun, Aug-10-03, 13:27
Fat, I noticed that too and got a big chuckle out of it! I look forward every day to what new picture you'll have! :lol:

Joyce, thank you for the compliment, but, I always wonder if I do deserve this. I feel blessed to have a spot on this earth where I feel totally 'me'. I had never felt like I 'belonged' anywhere before. Always felt sort of like a misfit, if you know what I mean. Then we found this place and I found 'me' here.

But...it's just a piece of property is what I have also discovered. The true 'me' goes anywhere and everywhere that I go. It just took a lot of years to figure that out. I wouldn't want to, but I could walk away from this place tomorrow and know that the real 'me' will go along inside me. Does that make sense?

I spent so many years being an enabler to Jim's drinking that I forgot to grow as a person. When he stopped drinking, I started growing...actually WE started growing...and that is an on-going process now. Truthfully, I would love to see a young family have this place. It needs kids on it ALL the time, not just when the G-kids come to visit. The kids all want it but we've told them that NONE of them will get it because it would cause problems for the other two. Fortunately, they all understand our reasoning and agree with us. :agree:

Nance

joizienew
Sun, Aug-10-03, 13:58
Steaks, I think where ever we find "me" that's where life starts to get good. I think I am in that process now, at least I hope so. As for you and yours, there is nothing like working together to 'come to' (as it says in step 2 of the 12) I have worked with so many people in recovery that did not have the support of the spouse and either the client relapsed or the relationship ended. I am so proud of you and your family for hanging in there together, now look at what you have...My deceased husband did try recovery and when he worked at it he was wonderful, but he couldn't hang in there. Too many relapses and too many smashed hopes. So we parted. Then only five years later he developed pancreatic cancer that had spread to his liver. I always wonder how I would have held up as his 'wife' when he was going through that. I was in PA and he was here in Tennessee with my son. (my son never talks about what it was like for him) So now my son and I are back together and living in the same apartment where he lived with his father. I think this move to a new house will be good for both of us.

Fat
Sun, Aug-10-03, 14:27
Joyce...You made me laugh so hard I was crying, and almost didn't make it to the batheroom...LOL, then I couldn't stop laughing. My mom wanted to know what was wrong with me. The little dog is our 9 year old doggie. I have another one too. Her tongue has been like that ever since she lost her tooth...it grew in wrong and made her tongue hang out.
Steaks you are lucky to have such a good neighbor. Also like I said before, you are one lucky girl to have a good husband.

Sveinne
Sun, Aug-24-03, 12:29
So nice to find people I can identify with! I'm 56, and have degenerative spine disease for which I take quite a few meds. I had a hysterectomy at age 32 and have had to take premarin ever since. (I'm one of those who really hates to give it up and face hot flashes and dry skin). I also take HBP med and I have Menier's Disease for which I take a diuretic. You wouldn't know by looking at me that I have all these medical problems, I appear to be healthy as a horse.

My kids are always telling me to exercise, but it's so difficult to find something I can do with a bad spine. I'm not permitted to lift anything over 5 pounds. Walking causes leg cramps. I've purchased a Pilates for beginners DVD and it looks like something I can do. It's mostly stretching and low impact exercise.

I've been on Atkins for over 4 weeks now, and I'm in the stall from hell!! I lost 8 pounds the first 2 weeks, and since then, I've gained back three and just cant lose anymore no matter what I do! My husband, who is a few years younger than me has lost 14 pounds in two weeks. Why is it always easier for men??? He cheats on his diet all the time and still loses! It's so depressing.

Anyway, its nice to meet all of you. :)

Sveinne

Fat
Sun, Aug-24-03, 15:35
Hi Sveinne, very nice to met you too. Lots of us have bad backs. I too have degenerative dic disease. Some exercises hurt, but I just don't do them very well. I do try. My DD ask me if I did my exercises and I tell her no, they hurt my back.... She understands.
What have you been eating...and are you still on induction....Anna

Sveinne
Mon, Aug-25-03, 05:53
Hi Fat,

I've been mostly using Induction method of 20 carbs or less. I have cheated a few times, but for the most part I stick with it. I've been considering doing the Fat Fast that I've seen talked about on this forum, as well as the description in the book. It looks super hard though. I'm not sure how I would do. I do have a tendency to eat alot of the low carb specialty foods. It's just so much easier when working full time to eat those. I know I should stick to fresh veggies and meat, but sometimes on the run it's just easier to grab a bar or shake. I also drink alot of Crystal Lite, which I've heard can cause stalls. (Sure wish they made that with Splenda!) But I just don't understand how it could cause you to forever hold onto weight when you are under 20 carbs.

I always tell people that "I" went on a diet and my husband lost 14 pounds!

Fat
Tue, Aug-26-03, 14:28
Can cause depression and headaches and stomach problems. While in induction you must stay off LC treats to lose weight. They are not all that low in Carbs. Why don't you start a journal so I can see what you eat each day. It will really be helpful to you too....Anna

Sveinne
Wed, Aug-27-03, 15:47
Thanks Fat, I'll do that, but I'm going to wait till I'm at work so I don't have people peeking over my shoulder. ;)

Fat
Wed, Aug-27-03, 16:42
Ok........

VALEWIS
Sun, Aug-31-03, 19:41
Sveinne, Fat fasts are only for people who have not lost anything OR HAD ANY REDUCTION IN MEASUREMENTS in months. You are not in that category...just stick to eating induction with veggies and no fast lc foods that have hidden carbs etc. Do not rely on the scales as the main way of knowing your progress... this diet burns fat, and spares muscle, so weight loss will often not happen while you are in fact losing fat. I am down a dress size with no change to the scales, and most folks report this as well.

Val

mariejoe
Mon, Sep-01-03, 06:40
Thanks Fat, I'll do that, but I'm going to wait till I'm at work so I don't have people peeking over my shoulder. ;)

Fat's got a great idea there. I went to the Atkins site, http://atkins.com/ and use their journal. It helps keep track of what you eat and the site has a carb gram counter to make it even easier. :thup:

Fat
Mon, Sep-01-03, 11:37
Marie...I was speaking of starting a journal on this form. A lot of us have one where we keep in touch on a more personal bases...Please feel free to come and visit me on mine. Click on Journal at the bottom of this post....
Anna

mariejoe
Mon, Sep-01-03, 13:55
Something I wouldn't have thought of, and didn't know was available here. Thanks, I'll look into it. :cool:

mawmawr
Mon, Sep-01-03, 14:19
I will be 70 this month and like you Grannydeni, I started putting on weight when I went through the change and have found it nearly impossible to get off. But I keep trying, that is all I can do. I even started myself a middle age message board, hoping it would help me. We are a small group all struggling along trying to give each other encourgement. I have enjoyed reading all of the post on here. It makes me feel we are not all alone and helpless.
I have bone loss also and from what the doctor says the only thing I can do is exercise and try to lose this big fat belly. So I will keep on trying.
Good Luck to all!!

Chris Rob
Fri, Sep-12-03, 08:10
Hi Mawmawr
dont give up. I have just come out of a four month stall (probably longer) and allthough I am getting fairly close to goal weight, I still have this buddha belly, but will keep exercising and hope it dissolves away. Do you know that weight or resistance training is really good in the fight against bone loss? that is what I am doing as my mother had very bad ostiophorosis ( How do you spell that?)

mawmawr
Fri, Sep-12-03, 08:58
Thanks Chrisee, for you response. My doctor has recomended that I go to a therapist. It has helped me a great deal. And I walk every chance I get.
Somedays I actually go window shopping just to get exercise in. The south beach diet people say that if you stick with there plan, belly fat is the first to go. I wonder if this is really true?
Again thanks and I hope you reach your goal weight soon.

Suni
Fri, Sep-12-03, 09:37
Good Morning

I have been following The Schwarzbein (balanced carb) Program - can anybody tell me anything about the South Beach Diet?

No matter how much exercise I do, I still retain this belly fat roll - I am 56 and in menopause and on HRT.

Thanks

mawmawr
Fri, Sep-12-03, 09:46
Suni, I know of several good South Beach resources. But I do not have the urls handy at the moment. If you would like them please feel free to e-mail me and I will send them to you.
My e-mail address is w3elk~att.net

Chris Rob
Fri, Sep-12-03, 09:58
mawmawr

Would you please send me the links for the south beach diet also? my email robson~chicom.com

Suni
Fri, Sep-12-03, 10:21
Hi again

Below is the link to info about the South Beach Diet. I took a quick glance and in some ways it is similar to Schwarzbein except Dr. S. allows full fat cream in decaf whereas I see this one recommends low-fat milk - I have not read the entire site because I am at work so I printed it out and will read it during my commute.

Has anybody tried it? Results? Opinions?

http://www.prevention.com/cda/feature2002/0,4780,s1-5345,00.html

mawmawr
Fri, Sep-12-03, 13:07
Please e-mail me and I will try to give you the correct urls.

Suni
Fri, Sep-12-03, 14:05
HI - I tried both sites and they told me there was an error so neither link would work, I will try again later

Error: page not found

Don't know what I am doing wrong.

mawmawr
Fri, Sep-12-03, 15:12
Please e-mail me and I will reply.
w3elk~att.net

VALEWIS
Fri, Sep-12-03, 18:06
I just had a quick look at the SB diet. It is not unlike a diet that I am currently on as I was so stalled on Atkins, having all the usual slow metabolism problems of the over 60's etc. The main difference is that I am having a protein shake as morning and afternoon snacks. Basically, it is just like induction, except that saturated fats are avoided, and monounsaturated fat is increased (take 2-3 tabsp flaxseed oil a day)..it is quite strict and anything from 1000-1300 calories a day.

What amused me about the SB diet site, was that it has a glycemic index site on in that completely contradicts the advice given by Dr A. in the SB diet!! For example, the glycemic index site says you can eat unlimited amounts of certain very high glycemic foods such as baked potatoes! He wold not advocate that at all.

In a nutshell, his diet mainly restricts saturated fats...so you eat lean meats, low fat dairy etc. otherwise it is the same as Atkins. As i am now trying this (started 5 days ago) I will be ale to report back in 3-4 weeks as to how I am going. I feel that it is breaking my stall, but at this point am unsure if I want to keep avoiding sat. fats forever...I don't think the science is there to back it up. I do think it is calories at our age that matter, plus good resistance exercise. I believe we all got fat because we eat too much of everything, and dieting off and on just made things worse as our poor bodies keep trying to guard us from the self imposed famines..I am paying the price now as I try to get off some 20 lbs of unhealthy fat.

Val

Isa
Fri, Sep-12-03, 23:37
Good luck Val...I know how hard it is to take off the pounds once you're over a certain age. But it is possible. Consistency, hard work, cardio, resistance exercise. Don't give up. You can do it no matter what your age. I have to believe that.

Isa

sassy57
Sat, Nov-08-03, 06:13
Hi Ladies,
I just turned 58 and been on atkins about 1 1/2 weeks. Fell off for a weekend,but back on track now. I've gone from 210 to 202 and I'm impressed with myself.
I'm in the St. Louis area.
Sunday,I start doing my walking away the pound tapes,so hope this will help.

janetkind
Sat, Nov-08-03, 10:31
Hello Ladies.
It has been a while since i have posted or even looked at site. I think one reson is i have to sign in all time to use. and i have to relook for pass word.
oh well iam here now.
I have been doing atkins.since feb1st.and for Month of Oct was off. i did so bad. Now for last 3 days doing good.
I think it helps to have email buddies to keep u going. i have to exersice and stay with that part.
Today going to walmart. thinking of getting DR> phild wt. book. i like reading diff. diets. i gor south beach but took book. another great book to read is CURVES book. look at their diet.
i sure hope i get to goal wt. of 100lbs by spring.
I hope to to get to 115-120 by Jan. i dont know if i will stay with atkins. trying to stay with it till Jan. but we will see. IT IS a slow wt. program at least for me.
any one like tpo email and do exertsdicing and just to talk how we are doing every day. email me. hope to get back to 125 in couple weeks. was there once. put on 5. but took off now. so i think if i saw sacle 125.it will keep me going. are u gals happy with atkins??and what do u think of all that fat??
i have to get more vit. today to. iam taking cla. to. take care andf hope all get to goal wt. lets help each other. .
janet

HorseChick
Thu, Jul-21-16, 12:20
This thread is what I have been searching for. I have checked out evey low carb community I could find but this is by far the most active . Losing weight is different after 50 so hearing from people in the same boat is all I am really interested in. I have been in menopause for about a year but have gained in that year went to places it never has before. I am active ride horses almost daily. the weight is making everything I do such an effort. The menopause symptoms are night sweats, fatigue and well I felt teary watching a commercial on TV yesterday.....That is not me lol This place feels like a friendly active support group and I look forward to reading all your posts.