PDA

View Full Version : nitrate free bacon

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lynnie
Thu, Mar-06-03, 08:24
Hi, I am a new comer to low carb, I am doing Atkins, so far so good, I cannot seem to figure out where to find nitrate free bacon. I have been reading labels and would appreciate any brands that you have found that were good! Thanks!

Skamito
Thu, Mar-06-03, 09:58
Nitrate and nitrite free bacon IS a hard find. So it sugar free. I have seen it though, at higher end grocery and health food stores.

Generally, most of us here don't worry about it too much. Nitrates and nitrites are only REALLY bad for you in large amounts. They are, of course, not great for you, but aren't usually a big health or weight loss issue.

If you can't find the healthy bacon, regular old bacon is fine to eat in moderation.

:)

slack32
Thu, Mar-06-03, 10:29
I am actaully going to scope this one out myself. I am planning a trip to our local Wild Oats grocery store to check out their bacon supply. I'll let you know any brands that I find, if I find any!

ANIMALOVER
Thu, Mar-06-03, 12:10
Do you have a Trader Joe's by you? They have nitrate free bacon.

Kaillean
Thu, Mar-06-03, 13:02
Hi - I haven't been able to find nitrate free bacon either. But I did notice that the low-sodium bacon sometimes has no sugar, which all the regular brands seem to have.

Not sure where you're located, but here in Vancouver the Safeway Brand low sodium bacon is one in particular with no sugar.

I haven't noticed much difference between the low-sodium and regular bacon, taste wise. It does seem to cook faster.

K.

slack32
Thu, Mar-06-03, 13:10
Just returned from Wild Oats. They had several brands of Nitrate Free bacon, but most of them contained either suger or cane syrup as their second ingredients. I think I'll stay away for a while. :mad:

Lolli-J
Thu, Mar-06-03, 13:28
Hi All

Shopsy's has a Deli-Trim bacon with no sugar added. I buy it at Loblaw's here in Ontario, Canada.

Lolli

RBalhan
Thu, Mar-06-03, 14:45
Hi Everyone:

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in. I buy a brand called Gwaltneys which is sugar free. It does have nitrates tho. I buy mine at Walmart and we all know where they are.

Rose:rose:

Rikke
Fri, Mar-07-03, 00:36
Vancouverites: Capers Market has nitrate-free bacon. Haven't tried it myself, but the Robson Street location definately has it. I'm thinking Urban Fare might have it too, but I don't venture there often enough!