PDA

View Full Version : A stupid question?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bellaluna
Wed, Mar-05-03, 11:25
:DAtkins states that you can have 3 cups of salad veggies or two cups salad and 1 cup higher carb veggies. When I add up 3 cups of salad (romaine) I'm no where close to 20 grams of carbs. Whats up with that? Can I infact eat alot more veg then?.....Thanks, B :help:

lkonzelman
Wed, Mar-05-03, 11:30
Yes actually you can but there are other things not mentioned that add up.

each egg = .6 carb
each 1 oz of hard cheese = 1 carb
each 8 oz of decaf coffee/coffee/tea = 1 carb
each packet of sweetner = 1 carb
two packets of half and half = 1 carb
1 TBS heavy cream = 1 carb
allowed salad dressings are usually 1-2 carbs per 2 TBS serving

This is why it is limited... so we can have all of our other fixes. But if you have carbs left over. Enjoy your healthy fiber.

bellaluna
Wed, Mar-05-03, 11:49
Thanks. I know it is common sense but I had to check. Thankyou for responding so quickly :wave: .....B

lkonzelman
Wed, Mar-05-03, 12:00
FYI ... the only stupid question is an unasked question. ;)

Skamito
Wed, Mar-05-03, 12:09
You should also remember Atkins approved extras such as avocado, olives, sour cream, and lime juice. Those can really add up if you take advantage of it! If you don't eat too many extras, feel FREE to eat more veggies. By all means! Do you use www.fitday.com? Good way to figure out how to cram in tons of veggies under 20g.

:)

wcollier
Wed, Mar-05-03, 12:13
Ya, it's amazing how many LC veggies you can eat and still stay at 20 ECC. I eat more veggies on 20 ECC than I ever ate even when I was a vegetarian. I track my Food Pyramid servings of veggies/day and I'm always between 3-4.5 servings (3-5 is recommended).

So any critics who say you can't eat enough veggies while on Induction, send them my way and I'll show them the proof. ;)

Wanda

sahmomx2
Thu, Mar-06-03, 16:35
Hi! This is my very first post-ever, so please forgive me if I do not do this correctly.

I have been reading past posts for days and days and cannot find all my questions answered. I have been following the Curves for Women diet and now want to start Atkins.

Can you only have the cheeses listed in the book? I like Colby cheese or Colby-Jack.

How do I measure a cup of lettuce? Probably do not try to use a measuring cup and a food scale would not measure lettuce correctly.

Special Category Foods: do I still add the carb count in my 20 carbs a day count?

Can I have pork-rinds on induction-Dr. Atkins does not address this.

Thanks so much in advance

lkonzelman
Thu, Mar-06-03, 16:53
Hi... sahmomx2 i'm posting a link of how do start induction (http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html) but this is really just until you read the book.

It is so important to understand:
1) this is in phases and you need to know what to add, when to add, what to watch for
2) this is a way of life not a fast weightloss program - so you need to understand.
3) so much more....

Only 3-4 oz of hard cheese daily
Round about a cup is fine - no need to be that anal with it. This is good for you.

Now congrats and welcome and start right now - but then read the book

Oh... and pork rinds are fine. Just be aware they have lots of salt so drink extra water to offset the water retention factor...

Lisa N
Thu, Mar-06-03, 17:06
Welcome, sahmomx2!

Can you only have the cheeses listed in the book? I like Colby cheese or Colby-Jack.

You can have any type of hard cheese that you want, but cheese is limited on induction to no more than 3-4 oz. daily.

How do I measure a cup of lettuce? Probably do not try to use a measuring cup and a food scale would not measure lettuce correctly.

Some people do actually measure by weight, but lettuce is something that you don't have to be too precise with; it has very few carbs in it. I usually just estimate.

Special Category Foods: do I still add the carb count in my 20 carbs a day count?

You count the carbs in every bit of food you eat during the day and the total should be 20 grams during induction, but a gram or two either way isn't going to make or break you.

Can I have pork-rinds on induction-Dr. Atkins does not address this.

Yes, you can have pork rinds on induction. Unless they are flavored, they have 0 carbs (some of the flavored ones contain sugar and therefore carbs, so read the package carefully). BUT...be aware that they contain high amounts of sodium which could cause you to retain water, so if you are sensitive to salt you may want to limit how much or how often you eat them.

sahmomx2
Thu, Mar-06-03, 21:22
Thank you everyone for the quick response to my questions and the warm welcome. I have read the book more than once. I just wanted to make sure I know what I am doing without a doubt. I have been on the Curves weight loss program for 2 months, lost 4.5 pounds and my body fat % was 33% and went down to 26%. I have been stuck at the same weight for 6 weeks and have decided to try a different program. Curves plan is a low-carb program also, but the rules are much different than The Atkins plan.

I hope to make new friends and learn a lot here.