PDA

View Full Version : Hi -- so far so good!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Kaillean
Tue, Mar-04-03, 15:54
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd better post a brief hello as I've been scouring the site for all the great info.

I started Atkins induction on Saturday (March 1) and so far I'm amazed how great I feel. I had some headaches on the first day, which aspirin helped. Day 2 I woke up feeling great -- no headaches and lots of energy.

I went into ketosis on day 3 (am). So far all of my cravings are under control and I haven't felt tempted to cheat at all. I'm a big late-night TV snacker and I've been just amazed that I'm not tearing my hair out with cravings. I save my 20 olives for the evening and make them last.

I've been sticking to Induction very closely. No caffeine. Haven't tried any of the low-carb bars, shakes or treats yet and don't think I will until I'm finished the 14 days. I don't want to tempt myself.

I know I shouldn't weigh every day but I can't help myself :) . So far I'm down 9 pounds!! I know it's mostly water weight but still it's very motivating!! I started at 215. Will update my profile at the end of the week when I see if this drop is going to hold.

I read the book before I started, as well as lots of success stories and hundreds of forum posts. I think that was key for me - I kind of knew what to expect and where the pitfalls lie. So far, so good.

I also started right away with supplements, which I suspect might have lessened some of the side effects. I'm taking a daily multi, plus Vit D, E, Flaxseed oil, evening primrose, B complex, calcium with magnesium and D, pottasium, chromium. I think that's it. Plenty for someone who never took vitamins before in her life - except a multi on the odd occasions I remembered.

I haven't had any of the constipation problems - maybe that's the flax? Also I'm keeping my fat ratio high 68-75%. I'm sticking to the 20 carbs or less, though actually the first couple days were less because I forgot to subtract my fibre. I signed up to a fitday.com account (Free) as many recommend and it's been great for keeping a close eye on things.

I've been chubby since puberty and fat for the last few years. Never had much luck on diets - thought it was lack of willpower but now I know it was the carbs.

Anyone else start March 1?

Thanks to all of you for the terrific advice and support!!

Kaillean

Kristine
Tue, Mar-04-03, 17:10
Hello and welcome! Glad you're enjoying things so far! You definitely did yourself a favour by preparing, and by taking your supplements. :thup: Weighing yourself isn't that bad, as long as you don't let it get to you. I confess to weighing almost every day out of habit :rolleyes: , but it doesn't get me particularly happy or unhappy. It's just a number, it's not a meter of how "good" or "bad" I am. :cool:

Hope your momentum keeps up! Enjoy the forum! :wave:

Kaillean
Tue, Mar-04-03, 18:11
:wave: Hi Kristine,

Thanks for the welcome. Your posts were among many that had lots of great tips! It's motivating to hear about other people's successes!

K.

Alina
Wed, Mar-05-03, 05:03
I read the book before I started, as well as lots of success stories and hundreds of forum posts. I think that was key for me - I kind of knew what to expect and where the pitfalls lie. So far, so good.

Hi Kaillean!

Welcome to the forum. I like your attitude, you just do things right...I also wanted to know "what to expect" and this forum has never let me down.
I'm pretty new myself but I survived 3 weeks of Introduction and my progress looks OK for now.

You are doing fine, just go on. Can relate very much to you, didn't have any major problems in the beginning, the weight loss has slowed down after the introduction but it's normal.

Wish you good luck and you are welcome to ask questions.

Take care!

Alina
My Fitday (http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=kulka)

Kaillean
Wed, Mar-05-03, 13:40
Hi Alina,

Thanks for the welcome.

14 lbs!! You've done well in a short time. I'm going to try and discipline myself not to look at the scale everyday. Judging by the posts, fluctuations up and down are normal, as on any diet. Looking at the scale daily can be depressing because even though you're head knows it's normal to go up and down -- your heart doesn't!!

Not looking is SO hard though! :eek:

I just want to reach my goal weight (150) by my 36th birthday in December. I know it's doable and a reasonable loss, but there's a small part of me that wants to lose it all NOW!!!! Even though it took years to put all this fat on me.

Last night I had some cravings, but jumped onto the forums and reading all the posts gave me the strength to ignore them!!

One day at a time, right?

K.

Alina
Thu, Mar-06-03, 02:15
Hi!

Check this out

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=90724

I was the scale-slave too, mostly under my endless lowfat diets. The difference this time is that you FEEL lighter. The example with some old jeans is the best: my scale has stopped for a while, but the jeans tell a different story.
Yes, you see lots of people panicking here because of the scale...they want all the weight to come off NOW, just as you've said. I can understand that, because the induction usually gives great results and people take for granted that this will continue. Wrong! This is probably the hardest thing to accept in this WOE...
Anyway, some strange, for me mostly pleasant things can happen while you're eating lowcarb...this forum is great in explaining it and you never feel alone with your problem.
Well, I hope you won't get any...it's going smoothly for you.

Just curious: how did you discover Atkins and why did you decide to give it a try?

All the best!

Alina

Kaillean
Thu, Mar-06-03, 12:57
Thanks for the pep talk Alina. I have noticed, even thought it's only been 5 full days, that a pair of pants I have are a bit looser than normal. And my gut seems to be a wee bit smaller.

I did take my measurements on day one, so hopefully I'll see changes there when the scale doesn't budge.

How did I decide on Atkins? I was cruising the net for weight loss stuff on a day I was feeling really fat and came across some low carb stuff. Seemed to make sense to me. I'd been really pigging out at night while watching TV - eating pretzels and chips and chocolate bars every night. Really out of control and not paying any attention to what was going in my mouth. It seemed I had constant cravings that no amount of eating satisfied. I'd be eating one thing and already thinking what I could eat next. Gross.

I recognized myself in a lot of the low carb stories I heard. I decided on Atkins over the other plans as he's been around a while with some good long term results. Also I thought I'd benefit from the strictness of the Induction phase. Some of the other plans seem loser which I'm sure is great for some people, but I was afraid I'd take it too far -- the one hour a day eating carbs for example.

Things are going well so far. No real cravings except for a wee bit on Tuesday night but they were manageable.

I'm pretty proud of myself for making it five days without cheating. That just might be a first!

K.

Alina
Fri, Mar-07-03, 02:38
Hi,

smart to take measurements in the beginning. I did not but then all my pants started to fall of the waist...yes, finally I got my waist back. Anyway, I use my "old blue jeans" instead of scale.

Had a similar way to lowcarb as you, was really down after lowfat, exercise, starving and getting no results. First, of course, I didn't believe the principles, but I recognized myself in Atkins description of carb addiction to 100%! Something so right could not be wrong.

You still have cravings? Do you take supplements, like vitamins, magnesium, calcium etc? For me, thanks God, illegal foods do not exist anymore. I had some brut champagne last friday and found it incredibly sweet! It' not.

Have a nice weekend!

Alina

fitby40
Fri, Mar-07-03, 07:13
K.

I also started on March 1st. :) I had been losing weight before hand just by cutting down, but I decided to try Atkins after reading up on it. This forum has been great for info. Today I hit 9 pounds lost since the 1st. (I know I should move the scale, too!) Keep up the good work!!

LindaC6724
Fri, Mar-07-03, 08:50
I started on March 1 also, and am on my Day 7th of Induction, but you are doing way better than I. Glad that you were able to drop 9 lbs. As you know, everyone is different and lose differently on this WOL, so I am just hanging in here hoping by the 15th of the month I will have done as well as you.

It is nice to know that you are finally taking charge of your life and health. This way of life has been a lifesaver for me. I feel better, I eat better, I nourish my body with vitamins like never before. It almost seem you have to wait until your older to get some "common sense" :) . No. Glad to have you on this journey with all of our other lowcarbers and good luck to you and my advice to you is to stay as focused as you are now...down the road.

You may slip up every now and then, but that is ok, as you are only human and humans do make mistakes, but counteract that mistake by correcting it at your very NEXT meal to go back to lowcarbing and not the next day.

Have a safe and healthy journey and I will check in from time to time to see how you are doing? :wave:

Stay strong...it won't be long!

Kaillean
Fri, Mar-07-03, 13:54
Thanks for the good cheer everyone!

Alina - yes I am taking supplements, started them on day 1, too. I'm taking Vit E, D, Flax oil, evening primrose, calcium/magnesium, chromium, B complex, my daily multi -- I think that's it. A lot for someone who never took supplements aside from my daily multi (when I remembered). But I think they're helping. I haven't had any of the leg cramps some people talk about and I've felt really upbeat with no cravings. Just a weeny bit on Tuesday night which I think was mainly because my TOM is due, and also largely due to habit. I'm a night time snacker.

Since then, I've been sticking to my 20 olives a night and no more cravings.

FITBY - I lost 9 pounds right away too. Amazing and motivating isn't it? Then I went up a pound for day, then back down again. I think most of that initial loss is water but I don't care. Anything that keeps me motivated is good in my books.

Linda -- You're right - everyone is different. Is this your first time on Atkins? It's my first time and I've heard the first time always has the most dramatic weight loss. I'm determined not to blow my "golden chance" as someone on another forum described it. Because the next time on Induction wouldn't be quite as easy - so I'm told. Good motivation not to cheat!

I haven't been able to stay off the scale :mad: but was nevertheless happy to see another 1/2 pound drop today. It would be so cool if I could break 200 by the end of my induction on March 14.

Good luck to all of you!!

Alina
Sun, Mar-09-03, 03:35
How are you doing? Great idea to calculate you pre-Atkins daily intakes...scary, very scary....*Atkins diet forum*

About the water loss...yes, lots of it comes off during induction, but think about it this way: this is the water we had to carry around all the time before! Not to mention retaining even more water after heavy carb meal or before/during TOM.

We're on the right way!

My husband commented on my mood-swings, they are gone since starting Atkins. Somethin I thought I had to live for the rest of my life...

Take care! :rheart:

Alina

Kaillean
Mon, Mar-10-03, 01:25
Alina - I've noticed my mood is much better too. And about the water loss - I'm not complainin' ;)

K.