PDA

View Full Version : Just getting started

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LoserTrish
Tue, Mar-04-03, 07:09
:wave:
Well Hello One and All..I'm just getting started on this Atkins journey after trying many other avenue's ....I was a vegetarian for 5 years so meat sometimes i struggle with ~ though i've been eating meat for probably 3 years now again i try to stay lean. I would love some "just have to have" tips from everyone....

I was at the grocery store last night looking for the quick "protein" bars..any ideas out there? some had as many as 47 carbs !! and how about Stevia? what is your opinion of that?

Thank you for responding and hopefully my name will ring true :) :roll: :)

Loser Trish :wave:

LittleAnne
Tue, Mar-04-03, 09:21
Hi Trish and welcome to this forum.

I am sure you will find all the advice, information and support you need here to help you with your low carb lifestyle.

You will soon get used to reading labels on foods. Don't know about alternatives to protein bars as I never have them and in the UK low carb items are not generally available.

Some people I know use stevia, but I've no experience of it.

Having tried many other ways of losing weight before I found low carbing I am so glad that I now know all about it and am losing those extra pounds, all be it at a very slow rate.

Every success

eva123
Tue, Mar-04-03, 09:29
welcome LoserTrish..

How long have you been LCing? Are you still on your Induction phase? If so, you need to keep clear of the bars for a while.

Soime people find that they do impede with their weight loss. Actually, even after they are into the Weight Loss phase.

As stated by LittleAnne, as time goes, you will learn to read your labels..certain things are well hidden!

Good luck! Do not forget to start your journal and record everything you eat. It can help in the future.

Ciao :wave:

rasia1
Tue, Mar-04-03, 11:04
:wave: hi trish,
i tried a low carb diet a year ago and had some success.(i lost 14 pounds) the broblem was i did not stay on the diet and gained all the weight back plus some extra. i have learned that calling or considering the low carb way of eating a diet is the wrong way to look at it. i'm begining to see that it should be a change in the way you eat for life. once i start eating high carb foods, i go into a visious circle of overeating, guilt, and feeling very tiered.

i use stivia as a sweetener. two drops per serving is sweet enough for me. i baught it at gnc. the liquid for is derived from a plant that i have seen more and more frequently in plant catalogs, however i have not had any experienc with them.

rasia1
Tue, Mar-04-03, 11:06
sorry trish i forgot to closes my reply properly.

God luck
rasia

pegva
Tue, Mar-04-03, 12:27
As said before, Stevia is derived from a plant. It's quite sweet and a little goes a long way. Though, to me it has odd "mouth feel". I think saccharin, splenda, and sugar taste sweet in the front of your mouth (ie. tip of your tongue).. but Stevia gives me a sweet feeling at the back of my throat thats just a little strange to me... haven't really been able to get used to it.
Everyone has their favorite sweeteners (sugar free of course!). I prefer Splenda... but in baking I use a combination.

Does any of that make sense?

LoserTrish
Wed, Mar-05-03, 07:37

Absolutely wonderful...thank you one and all for your reply's..i love this website....i called two of my girlfriends yesterday and shared the news that i have moved into the "ketosis"....i could tell precisely when it happened....got that "metal" kinda taste in my mouth...... :wave:
so whooooooooooppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee here i go :daze:

LoserTrish

LindaC6724
Wed, Mar-05-03, 12:49
To stay on the safe side of this WOL for now, I would suggest that you forgo the protein bars right now at least until you get a real sense of Atkins, then once you have learned the tips and tricks to this WOL, you will be a little more knowledgable about these proteins bars.

Most protein bars are high and some are only 2-3g like Dr. Atkins' bars, but you have to acquire a taste for them.

Eat up especially the protein, take some L-Glutamine 500mg to keep the cravings away, and you should be fine.

You are doing an excellent job and I love your mindset ... you inspire me.

Be like a postage stamp...stick with it until you get there! -- Josh Billings

LoserTrish
Wed, Mar-05-03, 17:51
Thank you Linda......there have been so many roads that each of use has chosen......i'm feeling comfortable and at home here...thank you for being a part of that :)
Loser Trish

shama
Fri, Mar-07-03, 09:56

Just wanted to say hi, I'm just starting the atkins WOE, Ive done it before, but went off the bandwagon and gained it all back. But I know that on the WOE, I feel much better even if the weight comes off slowly.

Your attitude to this WOE is inspiring! Keep up the good work, and we'll help each other out. Visit my journal any time.

Happy Lcing! and Good luck!

Shama :wave:

LoserTrish
Fri, Mar-07-03, 11:41
Thanks Shama...I just started journaling today, i hopefully will get to this sight daily <at least during the week> and update my progress and check in on all the great people....

Welcome Back ....and i know you can DO IT i'm cheering for you
:cheer:
LoserTrish