PDA

View Full Version : Back in the saddle again

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

teri 30377
Mon, Mar-03-03, 14:47
Hello Fellow Schwarzbeiners!

I finally figured out how to post.

I have been on Schwarzbein's program for a little over 1 month and I am sorry to report that I have not lost 1 bloody pound yet. It is hard not to get discourage but I do have to remind myself daily that it took many years to put on 20-25 extra unwanted pounds. After all, the more important reason for choosing this program is that I really want it to see if I can improve my cholesterol.

I have to admit to you all that the benefits that I have experienced in this month alone are far greater than loosing a few pounds. My sleep seems to have improved and I am able to get myself out of bed at 4:30 AM every morning and work out for 45 minutes 6 times a week. I have to attribute this to the new eating habits and the consistent sleep.

It seems that my body is changing. I swear I am seeing signs of a waist again. Could just be that the exercising is building muscle which we all know is heavier than anything else. At least, I am hoping that is the case. Stepping on the scales is discouraging so I just don't.

I am really counting my daily intake of carbs for this month. Last month I did at least 60 grams: 15 at all meals and 7.5 for the snacks. This month my goal is to eat the carbs but cut out the 15 grams at dinner because I usually eat 2-4 helpings of veggies then. As far as the meat in my life is concerned, I am going to try and make a conscious effort to bring that down to 3-4 oz. Dinner is usually more because I just cannot say no to my husband's barbequing.

This weekend I perused the other diet boards to see what was happening with people. I've heard a lot of good and bad stories. The one theme that struck me is that most of the other dieters out there are looking for that magic diet that was going to be the answer to their weight loss. (I know I was.) If one diet was not working then they would switch to another board. People discussed Atkins and the great weight loss that it had the potential for achieving, but people complained of not feeling good, or disliking the limit of veggies and fruit. To me this is not a realistic way of eating.

We've all been on DIETS before and we have lost weight only to find it back again at a later date.

In sum my friends, even though Schwarzbein's program does not offer a quick weight loss solution, the benefits of good health and all that comes with it are far more important. I am hoping that in time, everything will work out and the weight will disappear as well. If you think about it, less food, less sugar and carbos, more exercise should equal weight loss.

Here is my favorite snack: ½ c cottage cheese, cinnamon, minced celery, ¼ slice minced apple, 1 teaspoon almonds. Optional 1 teasp raisins.

rosarugosa
Tue, Mar-04-03, 08:11
Welcome :wave: and :thup: to your post. I found all that you stated to be true. It takes a little while for the scale to show a loss (but then it is a rather flawed instrument of measuring) I think most notice a difference in the fit of clothes and measurements first. I had comments of "have you lost weight?" long before the scale asked me that. :)

I also, enjoy the healthy aspects of TSP. The contrast of TSP for me with other plans that I personally noticed was no hair loss or nail problems, I can sleep thru the night, no restless legs from a lack of potassium, a feeling of control of my appetite because I nourish the body, and gradual weight loss even with hypothyroidism.

You must live where the weather is warmer than where I reside -snow-snow-snow, if your dh is barbequing ! I envy that.

teri 30377
Tue, Mar-04-03, 14:02
I live in the foothills of Colorado and it is currently 20 degrees with snow falling. That won't stop my hubby though, he not just a fare weather barbecuer. Come rain, sleet or snow, he man's his barbecue with pride.

tigersue
Tue, Mar-04-03, 17:15
My hubby likes to barbeque any time too. I love it. great meals all year round when we do it.
This is all about health. Do your measurements. That seems to be a good tool to use with the scale.
Tanya