PDA

View Full Version : Weight Watchers

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

aliasbeth
Sun, Mar-02-03, 19:43
I am a current Weight Watchers member and am thinking of doing the Adkins diet.

Do you think it's safe and feasible to do both at the same time? I love the Weight Watchers meetings and knowing someone will be weighing me every week makes me accountable, but I'm afraid that the Adkins diet will really throw off my daily allotted points.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

shannonlea
Sun, Mar-02-03, 20:04
I don't see how it is possible to do both. Atkins is strictly a low carb plan. You do not count calories , you eat high fat,adequate protein,and low carb. There is a strict induction phase also for the first two weeks. If you are happy and content and not starving to death on weight watchers I say stick with it. However I could not handle it,because I like my food too much. On this WOL I am always satisfied, eat plenty,and feel amazing. Low carb is not for everyone's taste,but I can tell you from my experience of only 3 short months it does work wonders! I've lost 18lbs and 13.5 inches. My waist has gone from a 37 to a 33! I mean the inches show more than the pounds. Best of luck to you which ever you chose. Support groups are great and I really bet your weight watchers group may have some things to say about low carb.. I know I heard so much negativity when I told people I was going low carb.. People seem to think you are going NO carb which is not the case. It's about getting rid of the bad carbs.. potatoes,white bread,white flour,pasta.. getting rid of sugar completly.. etc.. In order to understand more I'd suggest getting Dr.Atkins New Diet Revolution. It is very helpful. Best of luck to you.

pokey one
Sun, Mar-02-03, 20:24
I'm not an expert, but when I was on Weight Watchers, the points system was designed to keep you low-calorie. Sure, you could spend your points anyway you wanted, even on some high fat foods. But I don't thing you would have enough points to actually follow the Atkins WOL.

Like Shannon pointed out, Atkins doesn't count calories (altho they do matter to a degree). Eating 70% fats and 25% protein and 10 to 12 times your body weight (current or ideal) in calories would most likely exceed your daily points allocation. I'd be surprised to learn otherwise!

I was always hungry on WW, and always used up my day's points. I'm never hungry now because there is always something LC that I can eat.

hth,
Pokey One

aliasbeth
Sun, Mar-02-03, 21:30
What about the idea of following the Adkins program as far as the food consumption and going to the meetings........isn't Weight Watchers all about support anyways?

I could follow the Adkins plan, go and weigh-in and then attend the meeting for support and inspiration.

What do you think?

tess
Sun, Mar-02-03, 23:21
Hi! I was going to W.W. until about two weeks ago. I also enjoyed the group support of the meetings. I wasn't that successful on the program. I could see where just going to the weigh in and having others support your success would be helpful. Most of the recipes and "helpful hints" though would be off target as far as Atkins is concerned. But if you can get the pats on the backs and not get confused by the difference in programs, I say keep going! Tess

nikkil
Mon, Mar-03-03, 01:46
I jokingly call myself a WW survivor. The support was great, the accountability of the weigh in was great, too. The cost and the actual plan were not. I found myself too hungry all the time and it was still feeding my addiction to carbs/sugar so I couldn't stay on it for long enough to get the results I wanted. I followed WW about 3 years ago and lost 23 lbs in 5 months. I've lost 16 lbs on Atkins in 6 weeks. WITHOUT BEING HUNGRY!!

I agree with people above who said if you find the support and weigh ins helpful, go right ahead with the WW meetings, but follow the guidelines of LCing, not WW.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :D :D

Nicole