PDA

View Full Version : Psyllium as a bulking agent

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

m1whowaits
Sat, Mar-01-03, 10:01
Wondering if anyone is taking Psyllium as a bulking agent to help cleanse the colon. Does it work and are there any side effects? Gas or bloating? Waiting for your responces!

jessea
Sat, Mar-01-03, 12:44
I take a fiber powder which contains psyllium, benonite clay, and a few other ingredients.

It tastes and looks like pond scum, but other than that, I haven't had any problem with it. No gas or bloating. It really works well. I am taking it because I read that it helps eliminate Candida.

If you want to know the exact brand, let me know and I will look for you. I just don't have the gumption to look in my cabinet right now. :daze:

-Jess

m1whowaits
Sun, Mar-02-03, 17:52
Thanks. I'm currently taking GSE at night, a product AZO makes 3x's a day and Acidopholous. I just bought some flax powder I'll start in the morning. I didn't like the psyllium stuff I saw a my store and my mom does flax seed oil and likes it.

Is yours a preventative or are you in an elimination stage right now? :q:

jessea
Sun, Mar-02-03, 19:20
Hi! I am still in the eliminating stage. Especially now since I have been on antibiotics for a week. I am going to have to do some serious mopping up when I am better. Sigh. I feel like I was making some headway. Plus, I cheated on the Atkins diet BIG TIME. Too sick to go to the store, and just ate whatever - jelly toast, cookies. UGH! Well, I am feeling better, and I will get back on track.

By the way, just curious, what is the Rainbow Plan? New one on me.

:wave:

-Jess

m1whowaits
Sun, Mar-02-03, 20:52
Sunglasses to hide my shame. I just ate a scoop of bryer's mint chocolate chip icecream!!! But thankfully I had the will power to stop at one. 1st sugar I've had in 2 weeks! Not too bad I guess. Just not looking forward to tomorrow morning... I fed the yeasties!!! I got the book The Candida Albicans Yeast-Free Cookbook. It's more than a cookbook. It's a plan to eliminate Candida. It's the Price-Page-Pacetti Diet called the Rainbow Meal Plan. All the standard stop eating stuff. (sugar, vinegar, mold prone foods, mushrooms, etc. anything that feeds the yeast) Then your plate is divided into 7 sections (if you follow the strict plan) all in equal portons: 1 complete protein (animal), 1 legume or grain, 1 root vegetable, then the next 4 are vegetable divided into groups by color, yellow or white, green, red-orange-or purple, and green leafy. The object is to 1: starve the yeast and 2: regain homeostasis in your body by feeding it all the nutrients it needs in the most natural way. It also has a modified plan if the original is too strict. It's not too hard if you do careful meal planning. Today went crazy and by the end of it I gave into the icecream demon :mad: !!!

I got the book at Barnes & Noble. If the library has a copy the information in the beginning is very interesting stuff. Should Check it out. How long you been fighting this? Working with my 15 yo (that's fun, NOT) Just had oral surgery and was on Pen... for 3 days, 5 days later he has thrush. Now he's on Mycelex 5x a day. Hope you're doing better :daze: !

Liz

jessea
Mon, Mar-03-03, 18:08
Wow! Now I get why they call it the Rainbow Plan. Sounds very healthy, and alot of food to eat. I will look for the book, thanks.

I never knew I had candida until I started low carbing. I felt so sick during induction, much longer than you should. I contacted Atkins, and they pointed me in the "yeast" direction. When I started reading about candida, a light bulb went on in my head. Looking back, I think I have had it for twenty years. I feel like I am making some headway in eliminating it, but still might have a way to go.

Unfortunately, sometimes antibiotics are a necessary evil. But at least this time, I am aware of the yeast problem, and can get a grip on it before it gets out of hand. I bought some olive leaf extract today, supposed to be really strong as an antifungal. I am taking a stronger probiotic, too. My scalp is starting to get itchy, so I know the yeast is making a comeback.

Hope your son starts to feel better! Both my girls are on antibiotics for sinus/ear infections. I bought a child friendly chewable acidopholus tablet for them. I plan on keeping them on it for at least a month. Don't want them to go through what I did!

Have a great day!!

-Jess

ps thanks for the info about the book, I am always ready to read more.

m1whowaits
Mon, Mar-03-03, 19:47
Can I ask where in Ill? Have family at both ends.

My scalp get's itchy too! Wierd. My eyes itch, too. My chiro says the best pro b's have live cultures. They're usually the ones in the fridge.

I found out in a round-a-bout sort of way. I read an article in the paper about Celiac Disease. It's more really a condition, cause you can't cure it. And most of the health problems I've had in my life were there!! It's a gluten intolerence that damages the villi in the small intestines causing digestive difficulities and vitamin maladsorption problems. I started researching that and cross referncing things and came across Candida, and there were the rest of my problems. There is a strong link between Celiac and Candida. Chicken and egg thing. They can't decide which comes first. There's a great compairson of symptoms list at this page: Candidapage.com (http://www.candidapage.com) It can cause a lot more problems than people think. If your kids get a lot of sinus and ear infections, that could be Candida too. They link it to Cronic Fatigue and Fibro Myalga. I had FM symptons for 2 years. Sometimes it's caused by vitamin deficinies. Took lots of supplements and must have unknowningly changed my diet somehow and the pain started fading. At times I had all 18 pain points. No fun :( . Still have problems with my sholder muscles knotting up. That could be Candida. Read that upper back muscle pain is a symptom of it too.

Check out the page and tell me what you think. My son's doing better. He's mad I won't keep cookies in the house any more :( , too bad. Hope your kids get well soon. Mine always got sthrep. Yuck.

Be Well!! Liz

jessea
Mon, Mar-03-03, 20:48
Yes, I had read that about gluten intolerance and candida. Hmmm. I have alot of food allergies, wheat tested negative, but could be.

I also have fibro. And I am hypothyroid. And I have degenerative disc disease in my back and neck. Yay, I feel so special!!!! Anyhoo, I read alot of info about candida, and alot of it points to a fibro/candida link. I really believe that theory. I think my fibro is clearing up, I had a bad flare up last week when I was sick, but I think it was from the stress of being sick, and having to take care of my sick family. You know, being a mom. :)
I have not slept well, which always causes a host of problems for me. I had been taking 5HTP, which helps alot, but I was out. I went today, and bought the best on they had. I also picked up some melatonin, hope I sleep tonight!! Do you find sleep to be an issue with you as well?

It is funny you should mention vitamin deficiencies, I was noticing horizontal ridges across my nails, never had that before. I looked it up, and horizontal lines usually point to severe malnutrition. I take alot of supplements, and I think they are finally working. I think before, I wasn't even absorbing them. I have read alot about leaky guy syndrome, and I am sure I have that going on, as well, most folks with candida have leaky gut. It causes problems with the villi, too.

Have I ever mentioned L-Glutamine to you before? If I have, sorry to be repetitive, but it is SO important!! It will really help heal your intestines. I have found amino acids to be a huge help to me. Part of the reason I think, is because they are so easily digested. So I actually was benefitting from them.

Yikes, sorry this got so long! Yeah, I run off at the mouth alot, too, you should see my phone bill! :D

Have a great day!!

-Jess

m1whowaits
Tue, Mar-04-03, 11:34
I read about L-glut here and as soon as I got some free $ I'm gonna get some. Some night I sleep the sleep of the dead and some nights I wake up every couple of hours. But with what I'm doing to my body right now (detoxing) I'm not supprised.

I started my journal today. Stop by and say hi. We'll keep trading "medical" advise. My GP's answer to anything is write a prescription. Love my chiro. Very supportive.

Be Well!! Liz