PDA

View Full Version : Ketoses

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Zvi
Sat, Mar-01-03, 05:37
I am now five months into very low carb diet (around 20g a day)

Before I started this diet I went down in weight from 105Kb to 96Kg on a “normal” reduced calories diet. Then having got stuck for weeks after that on 96Kg and always hungry, I was introduced to Atkins’ diet by a friend. In the first three months on Atkins’, and definitely in a metabolic state of ketoses, and never hungry, I lost further 7Kg. But in the last two months I am almost entirely out of ketoses and, hovering between 88Kg to 88.5Kg, I am losing almost no weight.

Having read some further information on the Internet, I now understand how that is possible; how my blood stream contains a constant level of amino acids up to 60% of which can turns into glucose in, apparently, sufficient amounts to pull me out of ketoses, my Ketostixs indicating an amount of ketones in the urine of between trace and small.

Is there any method by which I can improve on that, or kick-start a more vigorous state of ketoses for a while? To remind you as far as the amount of direct carbs that I ingest is concerned it’s the same as in the induction phase.

I have at least another 5Kg to lose, but super ideally I should lose another 15Kg; as you can see, a little more to go. I shall never touch direct carbs, of that I am convinced, and not that I am in such a great hurry –but…

Yours sincerely

Zvi Agam

Paleoanth
Sat, Mar-01-03, 09:57
From what I have read on this forum-you are either in ketosis or not. It doesn't really matter how many or little ketones are in you. As long as something shows you are burning fat.

Most probably, your body is taking a break from all the weight you have lost to readjust itself. Fat doesn't just go away-it also moves around to fill areas that have lost it. Just be patient.

You might want to actually UP your carbs 5 grams and move into OWL. Many people have started losing weight again after moving into OWL. Your body will get used to only 20 g of carbs a day and that may cause you to stop losing too. Shake it up! Induction is not for your life-it is only to get your body adjusted to burning fat and help get rid of carb cravings.

Hope this helps.

LittleAnne
Sat, Mar-01-03, 14:08
Hi Zvi from another UK member.

The fact that you have been the same weight for the last 2 months suggests to me that your body has got used to what you are feeding it and you are going to have to tweek things a bit to lose the remaining 5 kg.

Firstly, as already suggested I think the first thing you should do is increase your carbs to between 20 and 30 a day. I certainly lose better at a higher carb level and eat up to 50 g a day.

Secondly, the fact that you are in ketosis, however small, means that you are burning fat, however I suspect that your fat burning is coming mainly from the foods you are eating, rather than your body fat.

So, how many calories do you have each day? If you do not already do so why not use Fitday (http://fitday.com) to calculate your daily carb and calorie levels. There is also a useful thread about Fitday at the top of the newbies questions forum.

You should be eating around 10 times your bodies weight in calories. If you are eating much more then you are likely to be eating to much fat. I know that I do not lose weight if I eat over 2,000 calories a day and my current weight is 184 pounds.

However, do not be tempted to go the other way and do a low calorie version. That will not work either as your body will think you are trying to starve it and slow down so that you can not lose weight.

Thirdly, do you do any form of exercise? If you do then you should alter what you are doing to challenge your body more. If not, you should add some in whether it is a good brisk walk, gardening or something else.

I hope this helps and you are soon on your way to losing those last few pounds.

BRON7
Tue, Mar-04-03, 23:12
chapter 15 page 182
Engine Stalled?
How to get past a Plateau
I think you can also access this from http://atkinscenter.com
you just have search around for it
it is really dramatic but it does work.
My friend lost 23kg and then nothing so did this and is now on the way to her 35th kg
Cheers