PDA

View Full Version : Is fat the key?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

spellbound
Thu, Feb-27-03, 12:03
I was wondering if fat was the key to this diet? I have been reading a lot of posts here and it seems like everyone is advising to up the fat content of their food. Not necessarily the protein.

Can you tell me some good healthy fats to start using. I really need to up the calories, I think.

RCFletcher
Thu, Feb-27-03, 12:22
Hi spellbound,

The problem with fats is that most of us have been brainwashed into thinking fats are bad for us and now don't eat enough.

I'd advise you to use butter (not margarine) and cook in olive oil and use it in salad dressings. You can fry with clarified butter too. Don't trim fat off meat and if you have chicken, eat the skin. Avoid highly processed fats (lite margarines, and most cooking oil).

You might also like to take cod liver oil capsules or flax oil . Oily fish, mackeral, herring, salmon etc are also better than white fish.

Good luck,
robert

spellbound
Thu, Feb-27-03, 12:38
thanks Robert,

I will try to do that. Has that been easy for you? I never liked the skin on chicken. I just don't like the feel of beef fat in my mouth. I will keep trying to do them both. I guess you are right, we havve been brainwashed to believe it is so bad for us.

I will have to keep working on that.

Lisa N
Thu, Feb-27-03, 15:36
Hi Spellbound!

If beef fat and chicken skin turn you off, don't feel like you have to force yourself to eat them. There are a lot of other ways to add fat to your diet. You can add mayonnaise, butter, olive oil, flax oil, or coconut oil. Use full fat salad dressings on your salads and add lots of butter to your veggies. You can also use heavy cream added to pan drippings to make gravy (very yummy!). Sour cream and cream cheese are also permitted, but be sure to count the carbs in your daily allowance. Fat (healty fat, not transfats or hydrogenated fats) is your friend on low carb. :thup:

eva123
Thu, Feb-27-03, 16:53
Hi Spellbound,

it is indeed quite laborious to start eating more fat but what you come to realise (i know i have and surely, if you enjoy your food, you will) is that FAT allows you to taste the real flavour of all foods.

For example, I used to "fry" my chicken without any oil or butter. In doing so, I had to add so much spices... Nowadays, just salt and pepper are enough to get the full taste of a nice chicken breast or thigh... welll, i also add some hot pepper because I like my foods spicy hot but i sure noticed a difference in taste

As far as the brainwash is concerned, it is amazing to discover that! isn't it scary?

Ciao and good luck on your journey.. :wave: