PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Alert...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

RonJ73
Thu, Feb-27-03, 02:56
Hello all. I'm new to these forums but am quite a vetern on others like it. My name's Ron, as you may have gathered. :)

I'm 6'2". 2 years ago, I weighed in at 360# with a 54" waist. I moved to Pawtucket RI, just outside of Providence, and decided it was time to do something about it.

At that point I had started cutting out most "crappy" foods and just generally eating LESS instead of eating RIGHT. I was walking every day at work, and sure, it resulted in weight loss, but it kinda stopped when I hit about 330. I suspect my body went into a starvation mode and simply didn't want to give anything else up.

Over the last 12 months, I had decided to go on a low fat diet where I was following a ratio of about 60% protein, 30% carbs and 10% fats. I've had excellent results with that, and over the last year or so, it's helped me get from 330 down to 274. However, I then plateaued again. So a little over a week ago, I decided to go on a low carb diet that was recommended by some users on another forum.

My body has gotten into a state of Ketosis now, so I know it's working. However, I'm adjusting quantities now to get the proper caloric intake as well as everything else on. My next "weigh day" is tomorrow afternoon. At which point I'm hoping I've dropped below the 270 point.

I'm also doing a lot of weight training, so it's entirely possible that my weight has remained stagnant with muscle growth and fat loss. I do need to get some body fat calipers later this week to get those readings. I know they're not totally accurate, but it should give me an idea anyway.

Chickadee
Thu, Feb-27-03, 06:37
Good luck, Ron.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far! That is fantastic. It is great also that you are working out! I bet this Low-carbing will work wonderfully for you!
:wave:

TeriDoodle
Thu, Feb-27-03, 11:01
Best of luck to you, Ron!! Let us know how we can help!!

Make sure you visit the general exercise sub-forum...there's lots and LOTS of good info there for you lifter-types!! :D