PDA

View Full Version : Headaches?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

fasterfuel
Wed, Feb-26-03, 15:26
Hello,

I started Atkins about ten days ago and have been in Ketosis over a week now. My daily carb count has been at 20 or lower and I have been referencing the book and online resources daily for additional guidance with regard to proper menus for induction. My question is whether or not anyone else has had headaches at close to migraine levels during induction, they have been almost incapacitating at times this last week for me. These headaches are making it difficult to accomplish my current workload and I hope they will pass soon. I drink over a gallon and a half of water per day and take supplements designed for me by a nutrionist and physician so I am of the opinion dehydration or nutrition is not the issue. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

TeriDoodle
Wed, Feb-26-03, 16:07
Could it be caffeine withdrawal? Sounds like it's gone on too long to be that....but maybe?

Carb withdrawal can last a few days, but you're 10 days into it.... hmmmm....that could still be a possibility, though.

Have you had any other major changes, like giving up aspartame or some other "toxin"?

fasterfuel
Wed, Feb-26-03, 16:58
Thank you for the quick reply Teri.

I don't think it's caffiene withdrawl as I am not a regular coffee or soda drinker. Even before I started Atkins my daily water intake was more than 100 ozs. While I would have the occasional Iced tea I would not think I had consumed enough of them on a regular basis to create withdrawl symptoms now but who knows for sure. I rode a few miles on my bike today but the headache was to intense to continue as my heart rate increased. After I stopped I took a few Excedrin Migrains and the headache subsided to a tolerable level. Starting tommorow I am going to start a new exercise program and hope the headache has not returned so I can gain the full benefit from the work out.

Thanks again,

Tom

inspire
Wed, Feb-26-03, 20:21
Yes, I had headaches..the key was to drink as much water as possible and not go hungry ever.

TeriDoodle
Wed, Feb-26-03, 20:35
I'm sorry, Inspire.... I would suggest that if they don't subside in a day or two to call your doctor...have your BP checked or something. Are you taking tylenol or advil??

lattegrl
Thu, Feb-27-03, 18:09
just a thought , but you arent loading up on nitrates are you because that'll do migraines-