PDA

View Full Version : new

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

barry
Wed, Feb-26-03, 03:54
HI, i'm new to the group. i've been diabetic since 96. my hb1c have always been good never over 7,but i'm taking more insulin to keep it that way85units a day now,and thats way up from when i started. my doc.& diaetian have told me to stay away from low carbing. well i've been trying it for a little over a week now and it seem's to be working,my #'s are coming way down, i'm noy on any diet, just cutting back the carbs. any info on this would help.
Thanks

Lisa N
Wed, Feb-26-03, 05:17
Hi Barry!

Cutting carbs is a step in the right direction, but to really be successful, you need to pick a plan and get the book so you have all the details and know the principles of what you are doing and why. I always suggest that diabetics get a copy of Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution Diet by Richard K. Bernstein, but you can always check the link on the right side of the page titled "which low carb plan is right for me?". I also suggest that diabetics work closely with their doctors, especially if they are on medication, because it will likely need to be reduced as they progress on low carb. It's Dr. Bernstein's opinion that very few type 2 diabetics should have to be on insulin to control their diabetes, but only you and your doctor can decide if and when that should be lowered or discontinued (same goes for any medication).
Once you decide on a plan, get the book and read it thoroughly. Get if from the library if you don't want to purchase it right away. You might also want to have your doctor read it once you are done so you are both on the same page.
Of course, if my doctor didn't or wouldn't support what I was doing, I'd look for one who would.

Pooch
Wed, Feb-26-03, 05:59
You want to low-carb, lose wieght and start exercising. If you stick to it your insulin requirements will start to go down. I started at 55 units and now I'm at 0 and I'm down to taking one pill a day. It all depends on how much insulin your body is till producing on its own and how much insulin resistance your cells have. My doc was happy that I finally figured out how my body reacted to carbs and how I took control. The dietitian didn't have a clue, told my to follow the food pyramid and never mentioned reducing my carb intake. There is looks of good into on this site plus others and you really should read some books on the subject. I read the Atkins book and the Dr. Bernstein book.

Ruthxxx
Wed, Feb-26-03, 05:59
Welcome, Barry. This is a great place for info and support. I'm glad you found us.

Doctors who support this WOE are few and far between here in Canada. I am lucky to have one who at least listens to me. Dieticians are another matter! Low carb goes against everything they learned in school and, unfortunately, some health care professionals just stop learning when they graduate.

Good luck and, despite the naysayers, this is the way to go.

kjturner
Sun, Mar-02-03, 01:24
Welcome! We are here to help you. BTW, you can also download for free some of Dr.Bernstein's book from his website:

http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/index.shtml

He also has a small diabetes forum there. You can go in and read some threads there from others also following his plan. I like that one and this one the best.