PDA

View Full Version : cream cheese pancakes

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

audraq
Mon, Feb-24-03, 15:12
I can't take credit for this recipe but I had them this morning and they were nice for a change of pace. I got the recipe out of the new Suzanne Somers Fast and Easy book....

Cream cheese pancakes

1 8 oz package cream cheese
4 eggs, separated
1/2 tsp Somersweet (I used splenda and I used 1 tsp, could have used more)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
butter for pan, griddle

Syrup
2 teaspoons Somersweet (splenda)
1/2 stick butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon

In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, egg yolks, Somersweet (splenda) and cinnamon until well blended.

In another bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into cream cheese mixture.

Heat griddle to medium heat. Dollop about 1/3 cup of the batter onto the buttered griddle.

Cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook other side to a golden brown, adding butter to griddle as needed.

To make Syrup...
Mix sugar substitute with melted butter until dissolved. Stir in cinnamon and pour over pancakes.

This was really good. If you like the mock danish, you will LOVE this. I liked it but would only use 3 eggs next time since it was a little eggy tasting for me. They syrup is fantastic drizzled over these!!

stuu
Mon, Mar-03-03, 04:49
What a great sounding recipe. I just need to double check one thing with you, though.

1/2 tsp in the pancake bit means what? Tablespoon or teaspoon?

In the syrup you refer to 2 teaspoons of sugar sub but then 1/2 tsp of cinnamon.

The Mock Danish I found on here had 1 table spoon of sugar sub in it so I am unsure if you meant teaspoon or table spoon.

Sorry to be an idiot.

Stu

slack32
Mon, Mar-03-03, 13:39
That sounds WONDERFUL! I am still in the induction phase of Atkins, do you think that this is something that I could have????

bebe123
Tue, Mar-04-03, 11:36
Thanks for sharing the recipe. I made these this morning and they actually were not too bad. I wouldn't call them "great." Kind of like chewing on scrambled egg pancakes that were very light and airy. The syrup was good, i will try to find some more uses for that! Thanks again! :D
bebe

RickinTN
Sat, May-31-03, 15:50
I have the same question. I start Induction tommorrow and this just sounds so good!

FionaC
Sat, May-31-03, 19:23
tsp means teaspoon

if you wanted to say tablespoon you would write it as tbsp.

hth
Fiona :D

STALLQUEEN
Mon, Jun-02-03, 11:35
I DONT like Keto products, however, their pancake mix is really good, and taste and texture like the real thing.

I have not had a pancake since I accidently threw out my can of Keto.... oooppss. thought it was empty can of pizza dough which is digusting.

DDMariana
Thu, Jun-05-03, 23:44
nevermind...found it! One of us is typing, the other is making it right now!! :D

Cream cheese pancakes

1 8 oz package cream cheese
4 eggs, separated
1/2 tsp Somersweet (I used splenda and I used 1 tsp, could have used more)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
butter for pan, griddle

Syrup
2 teaspoons Somersweet (splenda)
1/2 stick butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon

In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, egg yolks, Somersweet (splenda) and cinnamon until well blended.

In another bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into cream cheese mixture.

Heat griddle to medium heat. Dollop about 1/3 cup of the batter onto the buttered griddle.

Cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook other side to a golden brown, adding butter to griddle as needed.

To make Syrup...
Mix sugar substitute with melted butter until dissolved. Stir in cinnamon and pour over pancakes.

This was really good. If you like the mock danish, you will LOVE this. I liked it but would only use 3 eggs next time since it was a little eggy tasting for me. They syrup is fantastic drizzled over these!!

catsmeow88
Mon, Jun-09-03, 00:02
thank you. :) im gonna have em sometime this week. :p

carlota
Mon, Jun-16-03, 11:27
Thank you for the syrup recipe!!!! Here where I live it is very difficult to find low carb syrup. You can find low sugar syrup for diabetics, but I am not sure it is low carb.

I will try them this weekend.

How long do you think the syrup can last?

longway2go
Mon, Jun-16-03, 19:13
Bless you, bless you, bless you!

If I eat any more scrambled eggs for breakfast I am afraid I will turn into a chicken. Can't wait to try your recipe.

SaturnStar
Sat, Jun-21-03, 09:01
DDMariana,
I made these this morning and they were GREAT! I added 2 tbs of flax meal though and I did cut it down to 3 eggs like you had mentioned. I added a splash of vanilla . YUM!

One thing, I had a hard time getting my egg whites to form stiff peaks - any suggestions???

The "syrup" was wonderful too!

Thanks for posting this!!!
SaturnStar

Froufie
Wed, Jun-25-03, 14:08
I think if you add something like Cream of Tartar, your egg whites will form peaks better? Anyone else heard of this???

Also how many pancakes does this recipe make...and what is the carb count?

Thanks,

Froufie ;)

keely99
Sun, Jul-06-03, 21:07
I leave my eggs cold and use a metal bowl for the egg whites. I always seem to get them to peak this way. Perhaps it is a fluke?
I tried these pancakes and I didn't have a gridle :cry: they were not so great. Made 9 pancakes using 1/3 cup of the batter each time. THere was a little left over.
Today I went out and bought a gridle and will attempt them again.
As for the syrup, I must of done something wrong there, what exactly is a stick of butter to you?
Has anyone tried the diabetic maple syrup? I think I will and see what happens.
Cheers all

CurvesGurl
Tue, Jul-08-03, 13:38
How do you seperate eggs for eggs whites ( I have never done this before)

keely99
Tue, Jul-08-03, 17:26
What I do is crack open the egg and empy it into my hand holding gently to the yolk. The white will totally separate and fall into the bowl
OOPS...use two bowls...one for the whites...and one for the yolks.

Another way is to crack open the egg and before emptying keep one half of the egg in one side, and move egg back and forth into each shell halves until all done.
Make sense?

I prefer the hand method
Good luck

jeantm
Sat, Jul-12-03, 05:34
hmm....another dumb question, what is a gridle? i am guessing i don't have one, but if anyone can give me some info that'd be awesome
tia
jean

ckx4
Sat, Jul-12-03, 05:48
Hey Jeantm

A griddle is a flat square or round pan for maximum surface area with very low sides to make it easier to get a spatula under things. It is used for pancakes, french toast, grilled sandwiches, etc.
Rosemary

hysteria
Mon, Jul-14-03, 20:18
yum! :yum:
one problem - I ended up eating them in a bowl b/c they kept falling apart while I was cooking them. Any suggestions?

slm6596
Wed, Jul-16-03, 12:23
A line of good low carb condiments (e.g, syrups) can be found at www.waldenfarms.com.

I haven't tried the syrup yet, but the chocolate syrup is GREAT.

DWRolfe
Wed, Jul-16-03, 13:40
I think I'll try this on the weekend with some thcik cut bacon!

I'm a big fan (though smaller than before ;)) of the Pork Rind French Toast and Waffle recipes, so this one will fit right in my morning recipe line-up!

Thanks for posting!

Donald :wiggle:

Maryde4
Wed, Jul-16-03, 13:54
Could I have that recipe? Please :yay:

SaturnStar
Wed, Jul-16-03, 14:19
Hysteria,
I put in a couple TBS of FLAX MEAL and that holds them together quite nicely!
Saturn

Funkennuts
Wed, Jul-23-03, 15:55
oh man, this is some seriously good eatin. these pancakes are really scrumptious. they are a little fragile though but they quit falling apart when i added some flax meal and made them a little smaller in the pan. i tried the syrup also, but the melted butter must have burned the splenda or something because it just didn't taste righ. so instead i took a whole stick of butter and whipped it up with a hand mixer and then added the sweetener and maple extract and ended up with maple butter, which is realy good. what also works is just adding maple extract straight into the batter and then just topping them with butter; that way every lovin bite of pancake tastes like maple syrup.mmmm.big thanks for thos recipe. oh yeah, that pork rind french toast is also really killer. peace out.

Steph44
Mon, Aug-25-03, 14:31
OK... I think I did something wrong!

No matter how long I cooked them, they were gooey on the inside!! I practically burnts them... still gooey.

Help!

ElyMae83
Thu, Sep-11-03, 17:43
Do they taste anything like real pancakes? I am not a huge fan of regular pancakes but I do love cream cheese!

mind-full
Thu, Sep-11-03, 20:33
Just reading this recipe sounds to me like I'd have flat cheesecakes ...

what could be better than that? I care not what shape my cheesecake in. :cool:

Thanks!

NZKiwiana
Wed, Sep-24-03, 18:24
What is a griddle?

Fiona mcK
Sun, Sep-28-03, 07:31
Does anyone know the carb count for this delicious sounding recipe?! Thanks!

Fiona mcK
Thu, Oct-02-03, 18:23
I made these cream cheese pancakes this morning. They were awesome!! I halved the recipe and had more than enough for me.... probably would have been enough for two. I just had to bump this up because it was soooo good!

Lynne61
Sat, Oct-04-03, 07:20
OK... I think I did something wrong!

No matter how long I cooked them, they were gooey on the inside!! I practically burnts them... still gooey.

Help!
I'm thinking that maybe you had the griddle too hot? You want the pan just hot enough that when you flick
a tiny bit of water on the pan, it sizzles and evaporates. HTH Lynne

honeybfly
Sat, Oct-04-03, 10:31
when you used splenda, did you use the granular kind
or the one in the packets?

Lynne61
Sat, Oct-04-03, 15:08
They are one in the same. The bulk is cheaper but the packets are just handier to take along.

ysabella
Sat, Oct-04-03, 15:35
My husband is Dutch, so my idea was that this recipe would lend itself well to spekpannekoeken, which are thin pancakes with bacon cooked right in 'em. He was interested in trying it.

They were great! They were a little more fragile, lighter and fluffier than the Dutch-style pancakes. I liked the low-carb syrup recipe as it hits that sweet tooth nicely, and for the husband I made some Dutch-style syrup (they don't have maple there, they use a molasses-type syrup) that he thought was better than the Dutch stuff. When we'd made some we added another egg, which started to make it more like the spekpannekoeken, which are really eggy.

Very satisfying and fun meal, it was! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Hmmmm...since they have a puffy quality, maybe I can add a little bit of buckwheat flour and develop some low-carb poffertjes, which are small, tender, puffy Dutch pancakes. :D

honeybfly
Sat, Oct-04-03, 15:57
whats the serving size for this recipe? is it two servings?
im just not sure if i wanna try it because its too high in cals.

honeybfly
Sat, Oct-04-03, 16:03
the carb count is too high too...i mean if you half the recipe
its gonna be 4 carbs from the cheese, 2 carbs from the egg,
.5 from the cinnamon, and .5 from splenda? am i right???
and that doesnt include the syrup. oh btw, why dont you guys
just use davinci syrup ?

honeybfly
Sat, Oct-04-03, 16:04
sounds delish though!

AshGrrrr
Wed, Oct-22-03, 07:38
These were great. They are fragile, but who cares? They were good! And using 3 eggs they didnt TASTE Like egg! THANK YOU! YUM.
PS they taste like pancakes with cream cheese in them. So if youre a cream cheese fan, you should enjoy them. :) :wiggle:

skibunnie
Tue, Oct-28-03, 18:00
I thought these were really good, very similar to real pancakes. I increased the vanilla, and added other things like nutmeg. I used divinchi's maple syrup, not bad at all. The calories are around 1100 for one batch, that sucks. I could have at the whole thing, but i just ate one big pancake for dinner. This is a great way to increase fat, thats for sure!

jazzfan
Sat, Sep-04-04, 12:21
Could I have that recipe? Please :yay:

This is pretty late on this thread, but I have a great recipe for what are called "French Toast Bites" but end up looking like pancakes. These are absolutely better than the real thing, especially when topped with Log Cabin Sugar Free syrup. Nearly carb-free! :yum:

(Note: I got this from another low-carb message board, from someone named Gwen. Sorry, I don't have any other credits to attribute!)

Ingredients:
2 Eggs
1/4 C Heavy Cream or Half & Half
Dash Cinnamon
1 Packet Splenda
1/4 tsp. Vanilla
3/4 C pork rind crumbs
Butter

Beat together the eggs, cream, cinnamon, Splenda, & vanilla until smooth. Mix in the pork rind crumbs. (These can be made from regular pork rinds, crushed inside a big baggie with a rolling pin.)

Mix until smooth. Pour onto a lightly buttered skillet. Fry until the top begins to bubble, then flip.

Remove to a plate when done. Serve with low carb syrup or any topping you like.

Enjoy!
Lisa

superaunt
Mon, Jul-04-05, 10:37
these pancakes deserve a bump for sure -- especially as an induction friendly brekkie! :)