PDA

View Full Version : Have you switched from Atkins to CAD/CALP?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ltlbirdie
Mon, Feb-24-03, 06:36
If so, I'd love to know what you loved/hated/missed. I know everybody's different and affected in different ways--I'd just like to maybe benefit from others' experience.

I was on Atkins, I'm now thinking of trying CALP. I bought the book and am in the process of reading it. Got PP too but after skimming through both I am leaning more towards CALP.

Any help/opinions are greatly appreciated!

tokenyanke
Mon, Feb-24-03, 06:49
I'm one of the many that has made the move from Atkins to CAD/CALP. I was on Atkins for 10 months last year and then before the holidays, I switched because I knew that I'd have a hard time with the holiday food and trying to stay on Atkins. I was already at the point of giving in every so often to the "no no's". CAD is great because I know that for one meal a day, I can add in those things that I couldn't before. At first, many people experience problems trying to balance the meals and they tend to have a "carb fest", but most find that after a few days, they get over it and are able to eat more sensibly.

Some have tried CAD, but having carbs added back in has been too much for them and has caused them to overdo at other meals and they have decided to go back to Atkins.

The only way to really find out if it works for you is to give it a try for a month and see how you like it. It does still require discipline with the time limits and the complementary meals, but I really enjoy the plan. I really did like Atkins and still highly recommend that, but I love CAD and the added freedom I have.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

:thup:

Lila2002
Mon, Feb-24-03, 09:05
I switched - I loved strict low carb for the lack of cravings and 'freedom' that I felt, but after many months I ran out of energy and I was losing hair. Now on CALP I still have the good part of low-carb, my workouts are strong and my hair is finally growing back. For the most part, I am careful to eat high quality carbs that I really missed on Atkins (sweet potatoes, rice or yogurt) but sometimes I eat regular dessert guilt-free. I was really afraid that I would be out-of-control with the reward meal, but that has not been a problem for me.

Let us know how it goes for you.

lkonzelman
Mon, Feb-24-03, 09:09
I tried CAD but found myself always hungry and out of meals and snacks by evening.

I am a snacker and my favorite part of Atkins is that I can eat whenever I am hungry.

I did enjoy a few reward meals I do admit but my constant hunger and chugging down the coffee w/ no sweetners (in 15 minutes or less) made me feel too much like dieting.

All the best to you with whatever you choose.

Try other plans if you aren't satisfied. We want that weight gone forever!!!

ltlbirdie
Mon, Feb-24-03, 15:24
I do think I'm going to try CALP for a while and see how it goes. I hope I don't have the problem with hunger coming back. I have basically been off-plan for the last 4 or 5 days and still don't have much of an appetite. To be perfectly honest I've been eating like 1 meal and 1 snack a day. I know, metabolism is probably about gone completely, although I still am not fatigued like I was.

I really hope I can find the right plan for me, and quickly! I believe in LC, I believe it's the best way to go as opposed to low fat diets and the like. I also have nothing against Atkins. I lost 15 lbs. in 3 weeks, I just don't think it's the right plan for me for life.

Thanks so much to everyone that has replied so far.

quikdeb
Mon, Feb-24-03, 16:25
It wasn't a straight switchover for me. I tried Atkins and did well to start with, but with the freedom to snack I felt compelled to do so all the time. The carb addict in speaking up!. I did well to start with but over time the losing stopped and between that frustration and not being completely satisfied with the food, alas, I quit and gained about 20 lbs.

I did my own wonderful carb-filled thing from Thanksgiving thru New Years and soon after got started on CAD. I just love it. I'm not losing quickly, and am fuming over a particular 2lb. hurdle right now, but it is a plan I can stick to. My appetite is REALLY under control and as I have mentioned many times, this is a first for me.

Everyone is so different. Try it and see That's the only way you're gonna know.

Good Luck,
Deb

ltlbirdie
Mon, Feb-24-03, 21:21
I have another question for anyone kind enough to take the time to answer it--What is the difference between CAD and CALP? I've read that they are basically the same, was just wondering what the specific differences are.

Lila2002
Tue, Feb-25-03, 00:07
CALP is designed for mid-life & on, but I think it may be for those who really have difficulty with weight. There are some differences in the acceptable low-carb veggies - ie. broccoli is not approve for CAD, but ok for CALP (with a slight disclaimer). In CAD they mention the salad & balance in the RM, but in CALP it is really stressed as critical. CAD has A, B, C & D plans for meals & snacks (which have to do with number of CM's & snacks). The big rules are the same, though.

tokenyanke
Tue, Feb-25-03, 08:49
Yes, they are both pretty close to the same. I have CALP in my stats, but I actually do a little of both programs. It's all in whatever works best for each individual.