PDA

View Full Version : New user with a question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jahamilt
Sun, Feb-23-03, 19:14
Hi! I'm new to the forum, but not to low carb dieting! I've been on the Atkins diet several times before, but I could never stay on it very long...I couldn't stand not having bread. I tried some Carbolite candy today which is sweetened with maltitol, and then I got worried about whether it will take me out of ketosis. Does anyone know about this?

lkonzelman
Sun, Feb-23-03, 19:15
Lots of people (myself included) stall weightloss completely with sugar alcohols. You should just realize this is one of those things were if you stop losing, this should be the first thing to lose from your diet.

All the best...

jahamilt
Sun, Feb-23-03, 19:23
I wondered if it had an effect, so I checked with my ketostick. Where I had turned the stick dark purple earlier, after eating only the carbolite bar, it was barely beyond trace. That concerns me, because I don't know how I can give up bread and sweets permanently, but I love the rate of weight loss on the Atkins Program. I see that you have lost a tremendous amount and have been on the diet for a long time. Do you get used to it after a while, or do you have to fight it every day?

macc
Sun, Feb-23-03, 21:50
I think the bars have slowed my weightloss at times, at times they haven't. Maybe it depends on one's metabolism. However, because I love sweets so much, they curb my desire for "real" sweets. So, slower weight loss is better than going completely back to the hersheys, which I might do if I didn't have the bars.

The main thing, if sugar craving is gone, don't try the carbolite bars, and you won't miss them!

They do make me feel like I'm having something special, and are good to take with me when I know there's going to be sweets. Maybe you could reserve them for special occasions, and it wouldn't slow your weight loss.

macc

Karen
Mon, Feb-24-03, 01:54
Do you get used to it after a while, or do you have to fight it every day?

Ir depends on your degree of addiction. I have a very severe addiction to sugar and it took me about 6 months of fighting off the demons, but after that I never looked back. I didn't even look back during it !

Low carbing is it, for life! :D

Karen

jahamilt
Mon, Mar-17-03, 12:54
Thanks for all your input on maltitol. I'm afraid I fell off the low-carb wagon for the last couple of weeks. I know I need to get back on it, but I can't seem to last more than five or six hours without carbs!!! How do you get motivated again after you lapse for this long? :confused: