PDA

View Full Version : Here I go...again

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Peabody
Sun, Feb-23-03, 18:51
Hello all!

I've been LCing for about three weeks now...sort of. I've stopped and started about three times.

I've read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution and I'm determined to follow the guidelines in that. My first week of LCing went well and I felt better after about four days. I'm a Dt Mt. Dew addict, so that was the toughest part for me. I didn't have a soda (or anything else not on the acceptable foods list) for about 10 days. During that time I lost about 6 pounds. I got discouraged at that amount of weight loss b/c I've read so much about people losing 15-20 pounds in their first couple of weeks.

I also have a problem with "Happy Hours". I live alone, so I like to hang out with co workers after work. During that first week, I went to happy hour and drank club soda. It wasn't difficult not to drink. Point being, I didn't cheat at all for the first 10 days or so. Then, I told myself that one rum and dt. coke wouldn't hurt. The following day, I told myself that one Dt Mt. Dew wouldn't hurt. That's snowballed into a night on the town for a friend's birthday and then consuming a ton of carbs the following day. I'm also back to drinking Dt Dew on a regular basis.

I really do want to lose the weight and I'm prepared to commit myself again. I guess I'm just looking for some advice about staying committed and dealing with those difficult situations.

Thanks for listening to me babble :daze:

Kristine
Mon, Feb-24-03, 08:48
Hello and welcome!

It sounds like you're talking yourself out of LCing any time you have a cheat - that's what you have to stop doing. ;) Don't think of it as "well, now I have to start this diet over again." Instead, think of this as your permanant way of eating, and every now and then, you'll have something you probably shouldn't. It's okay - everyone does it, despite their best efforts.

The key to being successful is to not let a minor cheat turn into a major blow-out. You have to get right back to business.

The best "cheat" advice can be found in the 'sticky' notes at the top of the "confession booth" forum, entitled "Before you cheat" (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45378) and "After you cheat". (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45379) Good reading. :thup:

Remember, too, that you can't "demand" a speedy weight loss from your body. It works on its own time. There's no way to speed up the process. :( I wish that wasn't the case, but it is.

Oh - for the record, I never gave up diet soda or alcohol. :) I just cut way back and switched to caffeine-free.

Peabody
Mon, Feb-24-03, 18:17
Kristine:

Thank you so much for the advice :) ....and you're right. I was talking myself out of LCing every time I had the chance.

That's why I'm so happy I found this forum! I know that having the support of every one here is going to make a world of difference. :thup: I'm also surrounded by Weight Watchers members at work, so weight loss is a daily topic of discussion.

Thanks again!

shannonlea
Mon, Feb-24-03, 20:57
For the record I still have my Diet Mt. Dew! lol I have not given up caffeine. I'm not ready for that yet. I try to limit them though and drink mainly water.. But I have a couple every day! Best wishes to you!

Kristine
Tue, Feb-25-03, 15:02
Heh heh... and doesn't Mountain Dew have the most caffeine of all the soft drinks, other than Jolt? ;)

--
Kristine, sipping a Diet Pepsi :D (shhh.)