PDA

View Full Version : Where's My Energy Burst ?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kristiann
Fri, Feb-21-03, 12:10
I have been on Atkins for two months now. In induction, finished right before Christmas, I lost 12 pounds. Then, on Christmas Day, I ate some crepes w/powdered sugar, some chocolate -- noting too excessive, I thought -- but I gained back six pounds!! Now I have re-lost those six plus two -- SOOOO SLOOOW -- what can my problem be? I am eating bacon and eggs for breakfast, steak or fish and salad for lunch and dinner --- drinking lots of water -- but my ketosis strips never go any more than the first little bit of color, and I am exhausted. No energy to exercise, not even to do housework! Two nights ago I ate Thai take out -- many more carbs than usual -- and an hour later I had such an energy rush that I was up to 3 AM cleaning the house! I keep reading about the endless energy that is found with ketosis -- but it alludes me! Can anybody help? :roll:

smuffy24
Fri, Feb-21-03, 13:02
There are many reasons for a lack of energy one being Yeast over growth you should go back to your atkins book and look for things in there to help you figure it out. Happy low carbing and hope you find more energy Smuffy :wave:

TeriDoodle
Fri, Feb-21-03, 17:08
Hi Kristiann- Welcome to the forum!

You don't say whether or not your taking any vitamin supplements. If not, you should be on a GOOD multivitamin, calcium-magnesium and since you are low on energy, perhaps you need a potassium supplement, too. (Note: do not take potassium if you are on blood pressure medications without consulting your doctor.)

Are salads the only vegetables your eating? If you're only eating iceburg lettuce as your vegetable source, you may as well not bother. Iceburg has very little nutritional value. Make sure you're eating plenty of veggies that are rich in vitamins and fiber, 2-3 servings a day.

If your ketostix are showing a trace reading, then that is all you need to know you're in ketosis. It means you're getting plenty of water. Anything darker could mean you're dehydrated....so you're fine with that.

Hope that helps.

kristiann
Sun, Feb-23-03, 00:43
Thanks for the thoughts Teri -- I have been eating handfulls of supplements fir 20+ years now -- I don't think that is it. And the salads I eat are all organic and colorful. I have a feeling that maybe I am not eating enough carb --- my bacon and egg breakfasts are pretty satisfying, and since I work at night I don't really have the time (or the inclination!) to eat lunch before I go to work ... usually just a protein shake or maybe a steak -- and then dinner at 10 pm ... probably an Advantage Bar at my break at 1 am ... off work at 3 am and in bed at 4 -5 am ... the next day breakfast at noon to 1 pm and then off to work again at 4:30 ... you can see my schedule is pretty strange!?! I guess my main question was -- does anyone REALLY feel energetic on induction? I think I might be doing too much protein and not enough carbs, for the energy. Is this possible? Yes -- I need to go back and read Atkin's book again -- I have kind of wandered off into the very simple style of induction (proteins and fats, one salad a day) and it doesn't seem to be working for me any more. :q: :confused: :D Good news about ketosis and water, tho. I HAVE been drinking plenty H2O!!!!

TeriDoodle
Sun, Feb-23-03, 07:14
Hmmm....well, sure....why don't you try increasing your carbs for a week or two and see how you do? If you get knocked out of ketosis, keep the veggies and lose the protein bars if at all possible.

kristiann
Sun, Feb-23-03, 17:21
OK -- also, I am 54 and post-menopausal, so I suppose that slows down my rate of weightloss ... :(

And I know that I used to starve myself to lose weight in my youth, so I suppose THAT has slowed down my metabolisim ... :mad:

Anyway -- I AM losing -- even if it seems so slow -- and I have been increasing my carbs slightly and trying to eat more veggies -and I think that my energy is coming up a bit ... :thup:

Thanks again for your input -- this forum is a great thing! I can spend hours here, reading what other peole are doing and getting good ideas ... :idea: ...

But I REALLY need to get up and go exercise. I'll be back!!! :)

ladybugvv
Mon, Feb-24-03, 00:26
It took me awhile to get the energy. It didn't start until I started exercising.

Also, cut back on the Advantage bars if you can. They have been known to cause stalls or slow weight loss. No advantage there!

edie
Wed, Feb-26-03, 06:43
I started Atkins in Nov. and any extra energy eluded me!! I tried extra iron, extra cal/mag, etc., etc.......with no relief and finally I tried potassium and Walla....that was my problem I felt back to my ole' self the same day. Having read potassium tablets are hard on your stomach, I opted for Nusalt, (not Nosalt). Nusalt can be stirred into a glass if water and you drink it (or sprinkle on food), 1/6-1/4 teaspoon in a glass of water. I add lemon juice as I like the taste better then. 1 or 2 glasses a day like that does the trick for me!! I went to Stop & Shop supermarket to buy it. I did not see it in the spice isle so I found it with the diet things in the vitamin isle at only $1.49. They did have other brands in the spice isle, some also contained salt and were priced over $5.00.
One word of caution tho, if you are taking a diuretic (which may be potassium sparing you can not take this. If you are not sure, you can check with your Dr. Your post called my name as you said you have been taking vitamin's many years, I have also and was real stumped when I ran into this same problem! Also having prided myself on my organic salads as being so healthful, I was surprised that I could be low in Potassium, adding to that the salmon I eat, but, live and learn. If you are not on meds. I bet this may be your problem too!

:wave: