PDA

View Full Version : Help !!! Please!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sharon_m
Thu, Feb-20-03, 11:38
Hi :help:
I have been on the low carb diet for about 3 months - I have lost 10 pounds - I have fell off the wagon a few times - And each time I gain some weight back.
Actually if you would count the weight I gain back everytime I mess up and then lose it again - I have probably totaled losing about 30 pounds - But the scales actually only show a loss of 10.
I am trying to sike myself out to going through induction again -
But not having too much success at talking myself into it.
This is pretty much a sample of my daily menu - I don't even usually eat 20 carbs in a day -
I eat some turkey bacon for breakfast - maybe about 4 strips
I drink a cup of hot chocolate - but it's not really hot choc. it has 0 carbs.
I found this chocolate syrup that has 0 carbs and 0 calories per 2 tbs. and I just mix it with water. So actually my breakfast has 0 carbs.
Then for lunch I eat 1/2 sandwich - One slice of bread - which has 1 1/2 carbs (its made by the fiber rich brand) My sandwich consists of roast beef and cheese - So my lunch has only 3 carbs at the most.
Then for dinner I usually eat some meat of some kind and some cheese and maybe a salad - And then for desert I may eat a candy bar from the low carb store that has 0 carbs.
But all in all this is pretty much my daily diet - And I doubt I even take in 20 carbs a day -
I would appreciate any advise one can give - I hate to think of having to do induction again. Is there anyway to get around this and get on the down side of the scales.
I get so mad at myself cause I have a really hard time - after a week or so - I want to cheat and have some carbs. :bash:

Any help will be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Sharon-

Rikke
Thu, Feb-20-03, 12:07
Hi Sharon,

Sounds like you're feeling very frustrated. :there:

Going back to induction would probably be a good idea to get your body jumpstarted. But if you're totally against that, I think getting rid of the hot chocolate, bread and candy bar are your best bets. These items may be low (or no) carbs, but often they are the culprits for 'stalling' people in weightloss. Or perhaps you're not consuming enough water?

You can do it Sharon!

AmberAA1
Thu, Feb-20-03, 13:02
Hi Sharon, I'm looking at your menu and not seeing any protein or veggies. Veggies are a big part of your intake.
If and when you "mess up" if you just jump back on the wagon the next day or the next meal everything would probably be fine. I don't see much in food on your food intake. Best thing I can think of is to start a journal, then we can see on a daily basis what you are eating. Another suggestion is to visit fitday (http://www.fitday.com) and do your stats of your food intake there. You should stay with one carb count or the other. When you came off of induction did you add 5 carbs per week to see what your limit was. You should be on a set amount of carbs where you are still losing.
If you are serious about this you need to start getting your counts right and please take the time to do it right. Then you should start losing. Flip flopping back to induction isn't the right answer either because it may cause metabolic resistance.
Here's a link that should help...click here (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28939) Hopefully this will help the problem, if not we can look at your food and see the culprit. Can you try it this way for a week to see if it works? Hope this helps you to start losing.

Willful
Thu, Feb-20-03, 13:08
When you've "fallen off the wagon" what factors caused this? Was it anxiety about something new in your life? Family member away or visiting? I truly believe in keeping journals, to help identify those subtle changes that can lead to "falling off the wagon." If you can identify the problem, you can fix it!

Now as for your diet, it sounds like you're not consuming enough calories. If your body perceives that it's not receiving enough calories, it can enter starvation mood as a defense mechanism. This will stall your progress. Most people believe simply the greater the deficit of calories the greater the fat loss. But there's more to it than that.

I agree with Rikke. Eliminate the hot chocolate, bread and candy bar. Is your frustration, and carb craving, actually just hunger? Try adding more fat. Try drinking more water. (If you're not already) exercise and weight training!

I know you're frustrated, Sharon, but stick with it! Don't cheat yourself. Do you have a goal? Focus on that when you feel you need to cheat!

You can do it!!! :cheer:

summer*rai
Thu, Feb-20-03, 20:03
When I first looked at your weight , I'm thinking to myself...she's not fat...however, then I remember the first time that I went to weight watchers and the heavier people asked me "Why in the world are you here??...I weighed only 126 and wanted to loose the 10 lbs that I needed to loose...Well, of course, I thought to myself.."why are you here"...now after gaining up to 210...people are asking me "Why don't you try weight watchers"..?.....so..it's best to Nip it in the bud...loose the few lbs that you are uncomfortable with....You can do it....

summer*rai
Thu, Feb-20-03, 20:05
How tall are you and what is your body frame...98 lbs sounds too low???..Perhaps you are setting it to low and seems unreachable?
Only loose to a healthy weight...

sharon_m
Wed, Feb-26-03, 15:53
Thank you everyone for your suggestions!!
I really don't eat that much in a days time - I very seldom even eat 20 carbs a day.
Answer to one of your questions - what makes me go off the wagon - well - combination of things I guess -
One I love to eat - and eat all the things your're not suppose to.
I'm Italian -
And believe me - if you've ever watched "Everyone Love's Ramond" - the mom's remedy for everything is pretty much how it is - EAT!
As for my goal of 98 - I'm really not expecting to get down to that weight - But that really wouldn't even be thin for me - I am 4'10" and have a small frame - I got my foot and ankle broken in a car accident about a year ago and could only lay on the couch and eat - and in the meantime I started menopause - so needless to say I put on 25 pounds really fast!!
Before all this happened I weighed 107 and I was not thin! I do not carry weight well at all - And at 107 I was trying to lose some weight - But right now I would love to be back at that 107 !!
When I started low carbing I was at 132 - lost down to 124 - and am now back up a few notches - at 127 - my body mass is 25.5 - which is in a good zone - I think -
Before I got the broken foot I use to walk about 4 miles a day -
So a combination of all this happening and not walking - put the blubber on fast - my body is totally out of whack!!!
Plus this menopause doesn't help!! You get these - various mood swings - moments of depression - etc. - and just want to eat and eat - And from the way I understand it your body doesn't burn calories as well anymore - due to the fact that you're not producing the estrogen at the same level as before.
My sister went on this diet with me and she got discouraged and quit and started a low calorie diet -
So now I'm just bummed - it was a lot easier - having someone low-carbing with you -
Sorry for all this venting - I guess I'm just feeling very frustrated with myself - I have never had any type of discipline when it comes to dieting - And I know that's not something that someone else can give you -
Thanks for listening to this rambling and I would appreciate any help that one can share!!!
Sharon

sharon_m
Thu, Feb-27-03, 09:25
Hi Again
There is another question I forgot to ask -
Is there any kind of supplements I should be taking - or not taking ?
Right now I am taking Grape Seed Extract, Ginkgo, MSM, Vitamin E, Vitamin B6 and B1 - I have carpal tunnel and most of these things I take are to help with that.
I don't take these every day - usually just when my hands are bothering me.
But are any of these things I am taking causing a stall?
Or is there something I could take that would help with the weight loss ?
I guess I'm just getting so frustrated that that since November, I am just at 127 from 132 :bash: - Now I know I have noone to blame for this but myself - but if you get the chance to read the above thread - and offer some help - I would sure appreciate it!
Thanks Again
Sharon