PDA

View Full Version : i want sugar

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

TheFly
Tue, Feb-18-03, 14:37
Hello.
This is my first day on Atkins. I am not hungry, but want sugar. This is tough. I am sitting here looking at success stories and attempting to justify a reason to not be on this eating plan. I did low fat a few years ago and lost most of the weight...then i just had a baby..and need to shed more weight...
being on low fat gives me the chance to eat too many carbs...and i am currently over eating...

I am arguing myself in this...
how did u get through the argument of the diet pro and con?

pokey one
Tue, Feb-18-03, 14:58
Hi TheFly,

Welcome to the forum. The first day is hard, but so are the second, third and fourth. By the fifth day, I was done "detoxing" and started feeling so much better!

As for the pros and cons: First, I read everything I could get my hands on about different ways of eating. The low carb way just made so much sense to me. And I was quite dissatisfied with low-fat results.

But the real key is the personal commitment you must have. You can't be wishy-washy about low carbing and be truly successful. And one of the worst things you could do is high fat and high carbs--so once you start down the low carb (higher fat) road, you don't really want to stop the train!

It's more than a diet. It's a way of life, a way of eating. The health benefits are numerous (weight loss is just one of them).

So, I had to decide this was the right thing for me and really commit myself to this WOL. Otherwise the temptations to eat carbage would quickly undermine my resolve. It's still a challenge, but I like being in control. I'm never hungry (I was always hungry on a low fat diet).

hth,
Pokey One

AlluraD
Wed, Feb-19-03, 12:58
Welcome..............for me it takes three days.........I knowmif I can just get thru day #3 I am all set and NO more cravings.........the trick is stick to plan 100% during those first days..........like the book says one taste of sugar is the kiss of death to the way this plan works.........well......all that really means is that you have to detox again and the craving return.
You can do it!! And you will feel great!!

celtinore
Wed, Feb-19-03, 14:02
Greetings! I've been without sugar for 2 weeks today, and this is my first day on this forum.

Without getting wordy, I tried it all, and never succeeded. I would go out and buy size 6 jeans and hang them on my wall, as an incentive. It didn't work. What finally closed the door on all my internal arguments was when, on February 5th, my doctor looked at me and said, "Your insulin level is 7 times what it should be. This is called hyperinsulinism, and it can be reversed if you control your carbohydrate intake and lose weight. If you don't, you will most certainly develop diabetes, probably within a couple of years." I know several people who have diabetes; one must endure 4 injections daily. I hold the title of World's Biggest Chicken When It Comes To Needles , and so for me, there no longer is a valid argument. I can look at the sugar-sweetened foods which remain in my refrigerator (hey, I have teenagers!) and tell myself, "If I eat it, the needles will come." :)

Hang in there. You can do this!!

lkonzelman
Wed, Feb-19-03, 14:06
You will be amazed how good you feel after you detox!