PDA

View Full Version : Faux Twice Baked Potato

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

dvellio
Mon, Feb-17-03, 20:49
Here is my version of Mock Mashed Potatoes. It is a casserole dish that is as good the second day as it is the first and I don't believe anyone would know it's not made with potatoes if you didn't tell them. I've really missed mashed potatoes and now I don't have to.

Here is a link to my PDF version which has nutrition information included.
<a href="http://www.dvelliott.com/recipes/Faux%20Twice%20Baked%20Potato.PDF"target="_blank">Faux Twice Baked Potatoes</a>

Enjoy,

Don

Faux Twice Baked Potato

1-head of Cauliflower (Approx 2lb)
½ c. sour cream
4-oz - cream cheese
¼ c. minced green onions
½ stick of soft butter
2 fresh mushrooms diced
salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup of Romano cheese
6-slices of cooked and crumbled bacon 2-Tbs. of bacon grease

Topping
Shredded Cheddar
2-slices of cooked and crumbled bacon on top

Boil cauliflower approx. 20 to 30 minutes until tender, drain well. Fry bacon until crisp and then crumble it. Save the grease. In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower, cream cheese, ½ of the butter, salt, pepper, romano cheese, ½ c. sour cream, ¼ c. minced green onions, 2 fresh mushrooms diced, bacon grease and the bacon bits. Mash it all together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

I mash it in my Kitchen Aid Mixer.

Put it in a buttered 8 X 8 casserole dish. Cover with the cheddar cheese. Top it off with the bacon pieces. And cut up small pieces of remaining butter and scatter it on top lightly.

Place in a preheated 350° oven and bake until all the cheese has melted. Approximately 20 minutes. Garnish with chives if desired.

Servings 9

Calories/serving 258
Fat 23.1 Grams
Carbs 5.1 Grams
Fiber 2.1 Grams
Net Carbs 3.0 Grams
Protein 9.0 Grams

kmwebb1967
Wed, Feb-19-03, 13:53
Made this last night....FANTASTIC!!!! Even DH loved it and is getting used to no potatoes! He is not LCing except what I fix at home, eats his sandwiches for lunch and has STILL lost 10 POUNDS!!! MEN!!!

nater25
Wed, Feb-19-03, 17:57
Thank you thank you thank you!!!

mashed potatos have been the tough thing for me
cannot wait to make this! :roll:

thanks

Nathan

VickyRenee
Mon, Feb-24-03, 18:36
I made this tonite and it was absolutely awesome!!!!!! Thanks so much for the recipe.

UAGirl
Thu, Feb-27-03, 11:33
I jotted this recipe down because I loved the sound of it.

Thank you for posting this!! I cannot wait to try it!!

How much would say a serving is equal to?? a cup? 1/2 cup?

dvellio
Thu, Feb-27-03, 16:09
When I make it in an 8X8 dish like the picture in the PDF file I cut it into 9 pieces. I suspect that would be about a cup, maybe a bit less, but I've never measured it.

Enjoy, I just took some out of the oven for tonight.

Don

2much2g1
Tue, Apr-29-03, 09:21
I am desperately trying to convince my carb addicted,obese daughter to convert to low carbing...
This weekend I am having her stay with me and I am going to cook all her favorites-low carb versions of course-to show her that she wont be missing anything
I am so happy that you shared this recipe.I just know she will love it.
Thank you! :thup:

Flutterby
Sat, May-17-03, 21:22
I made this tonight and just finished a plate of it! It was delish! That's a great recipe! Thanks for posting it! By the way, congrats on your AWESOME WEIGHT LOSS!! You look FAB! :wave:

WeeOne
Tue, May-20-03, 11:37
I made this last night, I forgot the recipe, so I just made it up. I didn't use any mushrooms, I used Parm. cheese instead of romano, and I forgot the cream cheese. But it was delicious!!! DH had 2 servings. I only had 3/4 of a bag of frozen cauliflower, so I decreased the amounts of everything, and I made it into 4 servings. Yummy!!!!!!! Better than regular Mashed Potatoes!!

Wee

Michele-67
Tue, May-20-03, 18:06
This is AWESOME!!!

I have tried several recipes for faux mashed potatoes but this one is the best by far. I froze the leftovers in individual servings and it reheated fine.

Thanks a million!

Michele

Voo36
Sat, Jun-14-03, 04:15
Hey Ya'll,

Just HAD to let you know, I hate cauliflower, but miss my 'tators desperately so tried it anyway... it... was.. .AWESOME ! lol

Thanks a lot for posting it on here.

I'm brand new at all this, so I'm just getting started "doing the Atkins" but will post any new tips I stumble across.

Peace ! and Carbe Diem ! :D

solamander
Mon, Jun-16-03, 11:41
I made this Saturday
didn't have any mushrooms or green onions but Dear God this was absolutely delicious
Had a side serving Sunday and I can't wait for dinner tonight for my next serving
thank you thank you thank you

carbon8tr
Fri, Jul-04-03, 22:53
I'm new to this site, have just begun the low-carb way of eating (1 week) and have had such a great time getting recipes and trying things out. I had a bbq today (15 people) and made the faux twice baked dish - it was a hit! I didn't fool anyone, I didn't try and pass them off as potatoes, I just said it was a new dish and it was GREAT! I will definately make these again!
Peggy :thup:

lueezeee
Sat, Jul-12-03, 08:23
Thanks for that recipe. I made this last night and OMG this recipe is AWESOME! Thanks so much. Who knew cauliflower could taste so good!

sunspine17
Thu, Jul-17-03, 15:58
I've made this a few times and I LOVE it! My non-LCing, normally potato loving family loves it too. I don't do the bacon and mushrooms or onion. I make it like our traditional mashed potatoes used to be. Salt, pepper and chives (sometimes a little paprika). It's great twice baked and not twice baked (from the pot to the plate if you are in a hurry). The first time I ate it I felt so NAUGHTY! It really fools you into thinking it's the real thing!

If you are wondering wether or not to make it-- MAKE IT!! You won't regret it!

ramonamom
Sat, Jul-19-03, 19:07
I just made this tonight for lunch tomorrow (Sunday). I am trying to figure out how to convince my eight kids that they won't like it, so that we adults will get some of it, because I got a taste of it and it was wonderful! I am making sure to tell them that it is made with cauliflower, since they all don't think they like that! :lol:

Ramona

CAINNE
Wed, Jul-30-03, 08:41
Great recipe!

Works well with or without the mushrooms or onions.

dreis1
Sat, Aug-02-03, 18:34
I made tonight w/o mushrooms or onions and it is HEAVEN.

Thanks for posting and you look wonderful and have inspired me to stop cheating on the weekends!!!!!

SEWRIGHT
Sat, Sep-13-03, 14:55
This is excellent but wonder if I put in an egg or two would it come out more like quiche? so it could be eaten from the muffin, etc. paper things you use in the tins.
Appetizer Style

miabella
Fri, Nov-07-03, 07:31
I tried this recipe, and it is fabulous!!!! :cheer: I did not use the mushrooms or the onions, used parmesian instead of romano, and only sprinkled the bacon on the top. My husband said that if I hadn't told him it was cauliflower, he's not so sure he would have been able to tell the difference!

Athena123
Sun, Nov-09-03, 23:37
This sounds so great. I'm looking around for lc Thanksgiving/Christmas recipes and this one will be added to the menu. Thanks!

sunspine17
Mon, Nov-10-03, 00:16
Athena-

We've got a Thanksgiving recipie thread going here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=146040

I've already sampled the pumpkin cheese cake and it's to die for! There are some other really great ideas for all types of holiday dishes. You may find some more ideas . . .

Demi
Wed, Nov-26-03, 13:53
I made this tonight, and it was wonderful :thup: :yum:

I did adapt the recipe slightly - didn't add the mushrooms and put some grated mozzarella cheese in instead of the Romano (no idea what Romano is*, but the mozzarella definitely worked in its place), and I only used a desertspoon of soured cream.

* have not come across this cheese before, don't think it's available in the UK

It tasted just like Colcannon Potatoes (http://www.deliasmith.co.uk/recipes/r_0000001526.asp)- which we obviously can't eat on a low carb woe, but by using Don's recipe, we can!

To make an even more authentic Colcannon, I shall make it again at the weekend using savoy cabbage. May also leave out the soured cream so that it ends up thicker. Will report back :thup:

swsunny
Mon, Dec-22-03, 10:40
Wow! I just made this not too long ago and it is WONDERFUL!! I don't even miss my mashed potatoes anymore! I have a feeling this will become a staple in my diet... :)

Maren Stoy
Mon, Jan-05-04, 10:52
Hi Don,

Made your recipe for "Faux Twice Baked Potato" and was very surprised at the taste. Seeing that potatoes are out of our life style, this was GREAT!!!

One quick question--could you make "faux mashed potatoes" leaving out the onion, bacon & bacon grease, & mushrooms?

Congratulations on the weight loss and if you have anymore good recipes, please post them.

Maren Stoy

dvellio
Mon, Jan-05-04, 11:41
Of course you can leave those items out but it will change the taste of the recipe a lot. Especially if you leave out the onions. I do leave out the bacon grease sometimes and that really doesn't make much difference.

As for other recipes check out the recipe section on my web site at www.dvelliott.com, they are all recipes that I've tested personally and really like.

sparky55
Sat, Jan-31-04, 11:49
Hi,

Thanks Don! I tried the original recipe last night and it was awesome!

This morning my girlfriend had an idea on how to use this recipe for breakfast. All she did was add whole eggs to a portion of the faux potato casserole and mix until it was the consistency of pancake batter. On medium-low heat drop 2"-3" diameter portions of the batter and cook just as you would a pancake. We used a totally non-stick pan without any oil or butter and they browned just great without sticking. Be careful if you use butter not to burn it!

Speaking for myself it is just incredible. Give it try and let me know what you think.

Sparky55

leshaimors
Wed, Feb-11-04, 16:45
i just jotted down this recipe to try! i've got all the ingredients needed at home and it seems so easy. can't wait to taste!

Leshai

leshaimors
Thu, Feb-12-04, 09:33
well, i made it! it was a big hit with me, however my family did not care for it at all (they are not veggie fans). oh well, more for me. next time i'll make a smaller batch and add the mushrooms and onions (i had left these out hoping the fam would try). i'm sure the green onions give it a wonderful flavor!

til we meet again--
Leshai

cathafer46
Wed, Feb-18-04, 06:48
this was absolutely delicious! i amde it w/o the onion and mushrooms and parmesan instead of romano because thats what i had in the house and it was soooo good :)

congrats on your weight loss don..i'm so impressed with what a terrific job you have done! :)

SusanKH
Wed, Mar-17-04, 16:14
I made these last night and had to keep test-tasting them before I put them in the oven. They are wonderful! We have a winner with this recipe. Thanks so much - it's so nice to have something besides a green vegetable or a salad.

Kristine
Sat, Mar-20-04, 17:43
Wow, this is fantastic. :thup:

I skipped the bacon to make it veggie friendly for my b/f. I also subbed the romano with parmesan. Still outstanding! :thup:

I've tried mashed cauliflower with cream cheese, cheddar cheese, or sour cream, but never though of throwing them all together!

SusanKH
Wed, Mar-31-04, 08:26
I made a double recipe last week and froze one casserole. This week I defrosted it and put it in the oven for 30 minutes, and it was just as good as the first one. Ummmmm....it is soooo good!

sinistress
Wed, Apr-14-04, 11:46
Just have to say that I loved this! I've tried several of the recipes from this forum and haven't had any luck finding anything I like
(I'm a picky eater :rolleyes: ) Basically I stick to pretty simple stuff....meat, veggies, salad but this stuff is so good and even my non lcing family loved it! Thanks so much for this recipe. I even had the leftovers for lunch!

bigted
Wed, Apr-14-04, 17:39
This is truly yummy :thup:
I tinkered with it an used onion and chive cream cheese and cheddar cheese but no onions but it is sooo good.

Ladycody
Wed, Apr-21-04, 14:43
Wanted to say thank you for this recipe. I didnt have bacon but it was still incredible! I dont think anyone would mistake the cauliflower for potatoes, but it's so good that I dont think anyone could possibly care! It's a nice treat (and really pretty filling) as a "faux" starch for those of us that cant have potatoes and pastas...but so good that I'd use this recipe whether I was low-carbing or not. Thank you again!

Maren Stoy
Thu, Apr-22-04, 10:00
I will have to try the onion & chive cream cheese--it sounds great! Personally, I like the bacon taste but it would probably be pretty good without it--have to try it. There is also a recipe that I got for "cauliflower potato salad" that I haven't tried yet but will soon especially with warm weather coming.

Maren Stoy

niudog
Fri, May-07-04, 05:52
OMG - we made this last night and had it as a side dish with baked ham. It was really tastey!!! Thanks for the recipe!!!

Talli
Tue, May-11-04, 08:44
I can't wait to make this!

juzame
Wed, May-19-04, 21:46
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY GOD.. You guys rock!!!

Made this tonight.. my kid who hates cauliflower.. devoured it......... and my lil guy who loves mashed potatoes LOVED IT

YOU GUYS ARE A LIFE SAVOR>.. think we will be having this a lot.

anonyMouse
Mon, May-31-04, 13:45
I made this today but didn't want to heat up the house by turning the oven on so didn't do the twice baked. It was still DE-LISH. My parents even commented on how great it tasted. This recipe is a keeper and I can't wait til my hubby comes home in a few weeks so I can make it for him. YUMMM-EEEE.

zedneser
Thu, Sep-09-04, 19:25
I made this for dinner tonight and DH and I just loved it. I didn't have mushrooms, romano cheese or green onions but I had a coldby chedder mix, I minced a little bit of yellow onions and put some chives in it. FANTASTIC!!
Thanks.

byrdie16
Thu, Sep-23-04, 14:02
Hi Donald,
Thank you soooo much for sharing your recipe(s). The faux twice-baked potatos are wonderful. :thup: I'm looking forward to trying the coconut custard dessert on your home site too.
Carol

CheesyPoof
Mon, Jan-10-05, 14:31
Bump for anyone who hasn't seen this -- it is FABULOUS.

sunspine17
Mon, Jan-10-05, 14:37
Thanks CheesyPoof! My family STILL loves them. I had toyed with the idea of not having them as part of the meal this year for the holidays (they have become a holiday staple instead of mashed potatoes). When I mentioned it to my family (close family and the extended family I only see a few times a year) they were like "NOOOOO! But you HAVE TO make that cauliflower stuff! It's SOOOO GOOOD!" These people are addicted to that stuff and most of them are NOT on an LC plan. Good stuff!!!

cajuda
Mon, Jan-17-05, 15:46
Oh my!! I had a sneak taste before putting it in the oven and it was delicious! Can't wait to eat in 20 minutes. :lol:

PlayDoh
Mon, Jan-17-05, 17:45
i made this the night before last and it tasted just like the real thing. it was so delicious. i left out the romano and mushrooms though. thanks for the fab recipe! btw, i put the leftovers in a heavily sprayed muffin tin and they reheated in individual servings perfectly.

SusanKH
Wed, May-18-05, 06:46
I'm bumping this up because it is so good - even my non-LC family members love it!

Demi
Wed, May-18-05, 07:38
Always a favourite of mine :)

PilotGal
Sat, May-21-05, 05:35
I have great news and bad news.

The great news is... they were absolutely fantastic!
The bad news is.. I tried to eat the whole thing.

Can't do this recipe and have moderation. :tears:

Demi
Sat, May-21-05, 06:55
The bad news is.. I tried to eat the whole thing.

Can't do this recipe and have moderation.

Just make half or a quarter then ;) ... or, save some for the next day, shape it into a 'cake' and pan fry. Add some pre-cooked cabbage or green beans into the mix before cooking as well, and voila ~ low carb Bubble & Squeak :)

jedswife
Mon, May-23-05, 09:07
made this and it was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the recipe :yum:

Sbear
Wed, Oct-12-05, 10:20
What about freezing this in smaller portions? Guess the worst that could happen is that it's more mushy, which wouldn't be the end of the world for me.

I have to pull back the feeding bag on this one as well. But I do better when I can freeze portions.

Like Bawdy's cheesecake. That baby is dangerous for me unless I freeze the slices immediately.

PlayDoh
Wed, Oct-12-05, 13:59
i've frozen this before and it came out fine.

Luanna_nz
Thu, Jan-05-06, 01:00
just wanted to say thanks.
I made this tonight and it was yummy!!

Zuleikaa
Sun, Feb-12-06, 18:11
I finally made it. It was delicious!!!

RedJodie
Tue, Feb-14-06, 06:50
I finally made something similar to this last night and it was fantastic! I did find it was a bit wet though, I guess I didn't squeeze enough water out of the cauliflower. But it's definitely a keeper!

PlayDoh
Tue, Feb-14-06, 12:41
this is one of my favorite things to make. i don't make it often though because it is difficult not to overeat it, it's that good.

cajuda
Wed, Feb-15-06, 19:06
This recipe isn't fabulous. It's DANGEROUS!!!!! It's very easy to overindulge. Guess I'll have to make it many more times in order to get the 'Oh-My-God-this-is-so-good-I've-gotta-eat-more feeling' out of my system before I can eat reasonable-size portions. I'm going to try adding eggs to make 'pancakes' for breadfast that a previous poster mentioned. Thanks again for the delicious recipe!

ReeseBRoug
Thu, Feb-23-06, 18:05
Thank you for sharing this recipe! This was the first recipe I pulled off a forum and what a success. I'm so glad there are people out there willing to share good things when they find them.

mtnmare
Mon, Apr-17-06, 14:20
I just made this for Easter Dinner. DJ loved it. Thank you so much for the recipe

SusanKH
Mon, Feb-11-08, 09:37
Bumping this up - these are a little bit of extra work but they are wonderful. Even my non-LCing family loves them. :thup:

skeeweeaka
Mon, Feb-11-08, 10:41
Sounds terrific I an't wait to try it!

skeeweeaka
Wed, Feb-20-08, 18:17
I tried this and I liked it but it didnt fool my daughter.... She ate some of it but not something I will try to give her in the future. Satisfied my potato fix though!

Synne
Sun, Mar-30-08, 00:21
oh I am totally going to make this Monday night! awesome.

Flutterby
Sun, Mar-30-08, 23:22
I have made this about 3 times in the last month! Next to "awesome chicken and broccoli" this is my all time fave lc recipe!

SherBel
Mon, Mar-31-08, 20:23
I tried this for the first time tonight, it's in the oven right now. I tasted it before baking, and it was so good that I almost cried.

Thank you!

snowgirl73
Wed, Oct-08-08, 20:09
Made this tonight & it was AWESOME! YUM! :yum:

jknudsen
Sun, Jan-18-09, 10:42
Made this recipe last night. It is going to be a staple in my diet. I felt like I ate a "real" meal for the first time in a while. I usually supplement my meal with green beans, asparagus or a salad, but oh man oh man, this was DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

SusanKH
Mon, Sep-06-10, 17:57
Making this tonight - it is a wonderful dish! :agree:

Buttoni
Fri, Sep-10-10, 17:34
Can't wait to try this! I do one similar, but without bacon.

gweny70
Thu, Sep-16-10, 11:30
Definitely making this sometime SOON!

shopjunkie
Fri, Oct-08-10, 18:11
This is my favourite 'faux mashed potatoes' recipe! :thup:

I'm making it this weekend for Canadian thanksgiving :)

shopjunkie
Thu, Jun-30-11, 07:09
Bumping this up again. :D

What an awesome recipe!

I'm making it again tomorrow w/ a nice, juicy BBQ'd steak! :yum:

DAGrant
Sat, Feb-18-12, 21:06
I made this for a dinner tonight. Absolutely fab! Had it with roast duck. I added Asiago cheese in with the Romano cheese. Everyone ate seconds and raved about it!

denky01
Fri, Jan-11-13, 16:48
I am going to try this really soon.

SusanKH
Sun, Nov-02-14, 10:42
Making this again. The non-low carbers in my family fight over it. It is truly delicious and satisfying.

SusanKH
Mon, Oct-26-15, 15:39
These are the best ever. Every time I make them I realize how much tastier they are than potatoes - my family loves them!!!