PDA

View Full Version : [Zone] A Week in the Zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ZoneCoach
Sun, Feb-16-03, 10:23
Corrections to the book ~ from Drsears.com

Page 6: 5 should state, "Drink about a 1/2 gallon of water per day."

Page 48: Should mention people require 2 Zone snacks per day; one in the afternoon and one in the evening. Snack choices are listed on pg. 101.

Page 78: Should read, "1/5 cup COOKED brown rice".

Page 59: Should read, "2/3 cup COOKED steel-cut oats".

Page 79: Should read, "1 cup COOKED steel-cut oats".

Page 92: Huevos Rancheros: instead of 1 cup honeydew, should read "1 cup strawberries and 1 cup blueberries as a side dish."

Page 101: Snacks: the snack of 1 cup 1% milk should only have 1 macadamia nut, not 3.

Page 158: 1/4 cup of pasta listed uner "Female" should not be listed there. It should be listed under "Male".

Page 160: Should read, "If you feel hungry within two to three hours after your last meal, and experience a drop-off in mental focus (due to low blood sugar), it is because you consumed too much carbohydrate relative to the amount of protein at your last meal. Simply make that same meal in the future and keep the protein constant, but reduce the carbohydrate amount by 10 grams. On the other hand, if you feel hungry before any four to six hour cycle ends, but maintain good mental focus, you're pushing insulin levels too low. The brain has a sensing system that picks up low insulin levels in the bloodstream and tells you to eat to increase insulin levels, even though the brain is getting plenty of blood sugar (hence the good mental focus). Simply make that same meal in the future, and add 10 grams of carbohydrate to that meal. In essence, what you are doing is adjusting your personal hormonal carburetor to put yourself in the center of the Zone. In either case, you should also add more monounsaturated fat to either meal because fat releases the hormone cholecystokinin (CCK) that promotes a feeling of fullness, which is known as satiety."

Page 220: Appendix C should include Mixed protein/carbohydrate ( 1 block protein and 1 block carbohydrate)

Page 220: Protein blocks are for uncooked portions.

Milk, low-fat 1 cup
Yogurt, plain 1/2 cup
Tempeh 1 oz.

Page 225: Pineapple, cubed should be listed under "unfavorable carbohydrates"

Page 229: 1 block [fat] peanut butter should be 1/2 teaspoon

Additions

Liquids in the Zone
In Mastering the Zone, Dr. Sears writes, "Remember, on a fat-burning diet, you'll need nearly fifty percent more water than you'd need on a high-carbohydrate diet. Excess insulin makes your body hold on to fat and excess insulin causes water retention. As you lower insulin levels, you need to replace any water that your body is no longer retaining. This means drinking at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day. Water is the cheapest nutrient on earth, yet no one drinks enough of it."
Simply stated, on the Zone Diet (or any diet for that matter) you should drink a minimum of 8 eight ounce glasses of water per day, (64 ounces). In warm weather and with increased physical demands this amount will increase.
Beverages to be avoided:
Soft drinks, diet drinks (the high amount of phosphorus will leach calcium from your bones), commercial lemonade, ice tea and powdered drinks. Fruit juice and some flavored waters (check nutritional label, carbohydrates should be zero)
What the Zone recommends:
Various types of water: filtered tap, bottled, flavored waters w/o carbohydrates, herbal teas including green and black tea in moderation. Decaffeinated teas and coffee. Sparkling water with a wedge of lemon or lime.

adnil53
Sun, Feb-16-03, 17:43
Thanks Zone Coach! I was just reading that stuff on Dr. Sears website... I didn't read where you should increase the fat if you needed to decrese the carbs, but I did anyway because it makes sense to do so! Thanks again!

ZoneCoach
Thu, Feb-20-03, 00:22
Originally posted by adnil53
Thanks Zone Coach! I was just reading that stuff on Dr. Sears website... I didn't read where you should increase the fat if you needed to decrese the carbs, but I did anyway because it makes sense to do so! Thanks again!
This is done because of the caloric deficit when dropping a carb (Approx 9-10 grams)

Carb/gr = 4 calories (or 4.4 calories to be precise)
Pro /gr = 4 calories
Fat/gr = 9 calories
Alcohol/gm = 7 calories

adnil53
Wed, May-28-08, 20:18
Is anyone still doing the Zone on here???

OregonFish
Sat, Jul-05-08, 15:34
I'm new to Zone... This WEEK!

I have been working on taking the weight off since 2002...

Started at top weight (191), lost 38lbs over 3 years using food pyramid -- really decreased the carbs and portions, obviously. Took a while, because I didn't watch what I ate during 2 pregnancies or nursings.

Took a hiaitus in 2006... Drifted back up in weight. Then started low carbing (Atkins, basically) in 11/2006. Went from 172 down to 145.

Kept the maintenance low carb philosphy throughout, but have drifted back up to 150, and now training pretty seriously.

I have done 2 triathlons, and looking to keep this as my sport. My coach has put me on the Zone.

I'm on day 4, and honestly - - feels a lot like Atkins. Only I'm back to logging everything, so we can see the math.

So far, my flaws are carbs too low, protein too high. I also haven't been anchoring the 2 snacks. After doing some reading, I'll focus on that this week. Have started losing weight, though, which is nice for imperfect dieting. :)