PDA

View Full Version : Hoisin Sauce?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bike2work
Thu, Feb-13-03, 13:20
Hi Karen,

I've been hunting for the carb count for hoisin sauce and the carb counter here says it's 7 g per tablespoon! Yikes!

Have you got any suggestions for a lower-carb approximation? Or maybe something to stretch it out with? What's it made from and seasoned with anyway?

Thanks for your tireless responses, good humor and great recipes.

Nic

IslandGirl
Thu, Feb-13-03, 14:41
Hiya. I did a google search online and found a RECIPE for Hoisin Sauce, which makes it clear that it's a large proportion of some kind of sugar (straight sugar, honey, etc.) that makes the Hoisin Sauce so high-carb. Probably a good look at an Ingredients List on a jar of prepared Hoisin Sauce will show a sugar-type high in the list, which is Ingredients in order of volume.

Here's the webpage to the recipe, and I'm sure Karen will be able to provide excellent tips on tweaking this recipe if she doesn't have a recipe already of her own:

http://www.recipesource.com/side-ishes/sauces/08/rec0829.html

Good luck.

Karen
Thu, Feb-13-03, 19:41
The recipe looks OK. Use artificial sweetener fo the sugar. I would use dark soy and a pinch of five-spice powder to give it that hoisin-y taste. An alternative to peanut butter would be tahini, or roasted sesame butter which would give it a nice, toasty taste.

Karen

bike2work
Fri, Feb-14-03, 11:06
Thanks Karen and IslandGirl!