PDA

View Full Version : caloric intake?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

allegra
Thu, Feb-13-03, 11:10
Hi-

I had a question re: daily caloric intake levels. The Atkins book recommends a daily intake of calories of 10x-12x one's ideal weight. For me this would be 1250-1500 calories per day. So far, finishing week 2 of induction, my daily average has been 1316 calories.

When I typed created my profile in Fitday.com, it determined that my daily caloric intake should be around 2200 calories, significantly higher.

Which should I use as my guide?

So far my average ratio is 72% fat, 21% protein and 7% carbs. I don't have alot of weight to lose, so I am happy taking it slowly and enjoying the other benefits of this WOE, namely a boost in my energy level, which hasn't been this steady in years!

Thanks for any input... :roll:

pv3882
Thu, Feb-13-03, 13:56
Congrats for making it through Induction! So are you still continuing Induction or are you going on to Phase II? I wouldn't count calories. It doesn't work in the long-run. It is a good tool for people who have a tendency to eat for emotional reasons and need to monitor how much they eat. But you sound like you're doing fine. It's amazing how the body knows how to regulate its own caloric intake if you eat the right foods.

Counting calories is counter-productive because it makes you obsessive about it. I do Atkins not only to lose weight but to free myself from being obsessive with my body. No one really knows how much calories the body really need. The diet industry uses calories so they can sell people the plan - eat low-calories products! But look at the real foods in nature, they're not naturally low in calories. Eggs, bacons, and meat are calorie-densed foods.

I totally understand that someone who has been dieting a lot can really lose touch with their own appetite and need to use some controlling method. But calories is not the correct measurement. There are some guidelines however: (1) eat natural foods (meat, eggs, oil) (2) don't overeat (3) enjoy life!

I don't count calories! Hope that helps :roll:

Lisa N
Thu, Feb-13-03, 15:49
Hi Allegra!

I believe that Fitday is showing you the amount of calories you would need to maintain, not lose. Also keep in mind that the 10-12 times your goal weight (assuming that it's a reasonable one) is a minimum amount of calories, not a maximum. If you feel well at the level you are at and are losing weight, stick with it.
Since you have so little weight to lose, you might want to start thinking about moving on to the ongoing weight loss phase or pre-maintainance soon. You'll need to start slowly increasing your carb intake before you get to goal so that you'll know how to maintain once you get there.

Some people do find that they need to count calories, both to make sure that they are getting enough or to keep from getting too many (I've seen example of both problems here many times). Most folks find it isn't necessary, though, and counting carbs is enough to keep the scale moving downward.

Rosebud
Thu, Feb-13-03, 15:51
Um, pv3882, I know you are trying to help, but as this is your first day on Atkins, I think it's a bit soon for you to be able to give meaningful advice about what does or does not work in the long run...

Hi Allegra,

Your percentages are excellent. And I'm glad to see you realise this is a long term way of eating.

An average of about 1300 sounds about right for you.

I'm never quite convinced of the accuracy of Fitday's caloric guides. I only use them for my food stats.

Unless you are exercising a lot? In that case you would need more than 1300.

The thing to bear in mind, too, is that with low carbing, we have that "metabolic advantage," which means that just burning fat takes up extra calories. For example, on a low fat diet, you'd probably need somewhat less than 1300.

All the best!

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

pv3882
Thu, Feb-13-03, 16:09
Hi Rosebud
Today is my first day of Induction but it's not the first time I'm low-carbing. I've been doing other plans most of my life because insulin resistance run in my family. I am only sharing my experience of what worked for me. I think it's great that we use formulas to measure progress but I find that when I use formulas it makes me obsessive with it and it backfires. i guess i finally learn that the body is not a machine and we can't treat it with formulas alone, but also with some inner intuition.

in my opinion, diets work only for a short-time but you have to learn how to modify it so it can work for you in the long run. that's why most people fall off the wagons - they follow everyone else's strict regime but neglect their own inner intuition. i only disagree with calories counting because i know that you can only go so long suppressing your appetite. and i think that calorie restriction can lead to eating disorders because it suppresses and push down all the body's needs.

but in the end, everyone agrees that nature will prevail and no will-power is good enough to control a suppressed appetite. only enough nutrients will - for me, i find that nutrients in olive oil. but i'm only sharing my experience, i am not imposing it on anyone. :daze: