PDA

View Full Version : glucophage-can it mess u up?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

spch
Wed, Feb-12-03, 11:00
Call me paranoid, but I was prescribed the glucophage and took it for a month and stopped. My paranoia is that what if down the road I develop true type II diabetes and need glucophage only to find out that my body wont respond to it anymore because of prior use of the glucophage to combat PCOS? Sort of like when you use antibiotics and after a while it wont work on you anymore. Also what about the long term affects of this drug? Growing up, I have pretty much never had to rely on meds for anything outside of the occasional childhood colds and flus. I have had Clomid and Provera in the past for infertility. I am trying to get pregnant ans was prescribed the Glucophage to reduce insulin levels and later use it in conjunction with Clomid. Anyone else worry about this? Am I being overly paranoid? I jsut dont want to mess up my body when I could have fixed the problem with diet changes.

Scarlet
Wed, Feb-12-03, 21:08
Hi SPCH

Firstly why did you only stay on Gluc for a month? It takes a lot longer for it's beneficial effects to fully appear usually. Secondly, I can reassure you that your body won't get used to Gluc, one of the latest journal articles I read on the subject said it takes about 8 years before your body becomes anyway resistant to the effects of the Gluc.

You are doing the right thing by low carbing. It really is the best thing for PCOS. However, if you need to go on Gluc again don't worry, it really won't harm you.

Take Care.

Scarlet

spch
Thu, Feb-13-03, 07:42
I stopped taking the glucophage because I did not really see any difference and I was worried about the long term effects. I just feel taht dr's prescribe to put a band-aid on the problem without addressingthe true problem. I did not want to take something just to alleviate symptoms when the cause of the problem was not addressed.
I would like to find out the research that you found that says it wont build a resistance and that I need to take it for a longer period of time to benefit from it. Thank you for your response.

Scarlet
Thu, Feb-13-03, 13:12
Hi SPCH

I see you are a women after my own heart, wanting references and being sceptical of the docs. GO GIRL! IMO it's docs who got us into the mess we are in so we should help ourselves and not relie on them really.

Here are some references for you:

http://www.qhcassets.com/files/femalepatient/obPatientHandout302.pdf

I will post the others later tonight.

Scarlet
Thu, Feb-13-03, 15:22
Can't find the exact article but here's a link to a great site with millions of journal articles on PCOS and I.R.

http://www.qhcassets.com/files/femalepatient/obPatientHandout302.pdf

Channah
Wed, Feb-26-03, 05:23
My doc put me on Glucophage for a while, but it made me ill, even though I was takingit with food.

We have put off the trying to get pregnant for a bit, as the ob/gyn thinks that losing weight will certainly relieve my PCOS.

I just want to have normal periods again w/o bcp's.

tigersue
Wed, Feb-26-03, 21:35
Here is my understanding about glucophage and a bit of personal experience here.
I started glucophage before I started LC, I have had PCOS for years and frankly I was tired of NO help what so ever. IT seemed I was getting sicker and could find nothing to help. I had been on BCP for many years and right now I'm still afraid to stop them because I have a tendency to get endometrial hyperplasia when I'm not on them. To not treat it, would lead to cancer. I went to a new doctor he saw that I wanted to take my care in my control and suggested that I start glucophage and aldactone as both seem to help with PCOS. I can say that the glucophage helped greatly. I rarely shake anymore, I feel good. My insulin level is stable.
I would suggest to have an insulin level done. If it is high, take the glucophage, if it is not, you can decide what to do from there. Glucophage acts on the cells allowing them to not be so resistant, and it also does not effect insulin production. If you are low carbing you should not find that you get "resistant" to the medication. IT is not like an antibiotic, antibiotics effect an organism the infects the body, it is that organism that becomes reisitant to fight it's own destruction. IF you continue to eat high carb, eventually the cells will start to become more resistant and then the effect of glucophage will decrease. I have watched my mother in-law over the years get sicker and sicker, to the point she now needs insulin. can the side effects of the meds damage your system yes, but I honestly think it is the diet in this case. We are so off on what we are suppose to eat that the drugs can't work the way they should. On a low carb diet you should be able to get off the glucophage in a couple of years, if not within a year.
Tanya