PDA

View Full Version : Milk

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Scarlet
Tue, Feb-11-03, 22:08
Just bought my copy of TSP11 and while I haven't read it all yet, I see that she objects to milk. Perhaps I've missed something here, but I simply cannot understand why if it is balanced with protein and veggies.

In fact several studies have shown milk benefits IR! I definitely won't be cutting out milk at all. What does everyone think about this?

CaroleSP
Wed, Feb-12-03, 10:50
She doesn't object to milk across the board, only for some people (mostly those who have to watch their saturated fat). If you are going to drink milk, she suggests whole milk so the fat in it can slow the milk sugars from getting into your system all at once.
Many of her recipes call for cream as well.
Carole
:)

Scarlet
Wed, Feb-12-03, 12:21
She actually states that milk should not be drunk at all unless a diabetic is having a hypoglycemic reaction, so even insulin sensitive ppl should avoid it.

CaroleSP
Wed, Feb-12-03, 16:22
"It is best to avoid drinking milk because it contains a great deal of hidden sugar... but if you are insulin-sensitive and have healthy adrenal glands, you may drink milk in moderation (1-2 glasses a day). If you must have it, use organic whole milk because the fats in it will help slow the absorption of the sugar... this will keep your insulin levels more balanced." p. 279

Carole

Scarlet
Wed, Feb-12-03, 20:45
Thanks Carole. As I said I haven't fully read the book yet, just read the bit where she said to avoid it. I don't consume milk on a daily basis but it's nice to know that I can have some since I don't agree with her logic. In my opinion if I balance my milk with a protein it's the same as having a fruit with some cheeseand she allows that.

Thanks for clarifying it all :)

amieK
Wed, Feb-12-03, 22:41
I think milk drinking is a highly individual thing. Some do better with it than others. You just have to watch how your body responds. I find milk makes me phlegmy while cheese and yogurt are fine.

The problem with the milk available to the majority of us is that it is pasteurized and all the wonderful enzymes in the raw milk are cooked out of it.

I've found I don't like to need milk anymore. I have water-process decaff coffee with cream sometimes for a treat. And I use half & half for soups like chowders occasionally.

But I do enjoy cheese and yogurt smoothies :yum:

amieK

CaroleSP
Thu, Feb-13-03, 11:51
I went to the Schwarzbein website to see what she had to say about milk. She pretty much doesn't recommend it, she says only "athletes" can handle and use that much sugar at once. Darn!!! :( I think moderation is the key, and using whole milk sparingly is okay if you balance it with protein, etc. like you would any other food.
She does recommend yogurt, as long as it's organic, whole milk yogurt with no added sugars.
Cheese is also okay, but she recommends white whole milk cheeses, that don't have added colors (some cheddars, etc. are dyed yellow). Also, some cheeses are made with heat, and that damages the fats.
Carole

amieK
Thu, Feb-13-03, 13:18
Thanks for the info CaroleSP! I needed a reminder about the cheese, I used to be really careful not to get the dyed stuff but I haven't been as discriminating lately. We just moved to a new community recently and it is more difficult to find organic whole milk cheeses here although I am usually able to find organic yogurt.

Just this morning, I read the following in Michel Montignac's book, Eat Yourself Slim, and I thought you might find this interesting:

Some authors have said that milk proteins contain growing factors necessary to fatten up small veal, but also active in humans. That explains why eating too much of a dairy product can hinder weight loss. pg 89

Some people have found they broke their stalls when they cut back on the dairy. Maybe there is something to the theory about growth factors.

Just a thought,
amieK
:wave: