PDA

View Full Version : Schwarzbein Cookbook

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

CaroleSP
Tue, Feb-11-03, 08:48
Just thought I'd let you guys know, I have this cookbook and LOVE it. I use the salad dressing recipes every night. They are delicious!!! Beats store-bought anytime!! Plus, no added sugars or hydrogenated oils/fats or preservatives.
What are your favorite recipes?
Carole
:)

Elke
Tue, Feb-11-03, 09:23
Carole,
could you post the one or other salad dressing recipe?
Elke

amieK
Tue, Feb-11-03, 11:47
I love the TSP cookbook as well.
:thup: :thup: :thup:

Tonight I'm making the Spinach Salad with Bacon, Avocado and Mushrooms and Mama's "You'll Feel Better Chicken Soup"

Some of my other favourites are:

Pecan Baked Brie pg 98 - oh so yummy with slices of organic pear and matchsticks of celery

Spinach- and- Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms pg 76

Salmon Chowder with Pesto Swirl pg 122 - I didn't have any pesto or fresh basil on hand when I made this but I did have some fresh savoury, so I sprinkled in a bit. Very tasty.

Traditional New England Clam Chowder on the facing page is also very good.

The Pecan Chicken pg 248 and Pesto Chicken pg 249 went over well with the family. DH and kids love pesto.

I like the Smoothies on pgs 52 & 53 on occasion for dessert except I use almond butter instead of peanut butter since most legumes don't agree with me. I played around with the Yogurt with Cottage Cheese and Strawberry Smoothie and invented a Black Forest Smoothie which helps soothe chocolate cravings. Mmmmm! Think I will make one today. I am not sure to post the ingredients, so I will jot them down as I make it and post it later.

The only recipe I've tried so far and wasn't nuts about was San Francisco Joe's Special pg 49. DH and I just didn't like the flavour of parmesan on eggs. But I think I'll make it for myself sometime substituting feta and see if it works better. Last night I made a skillet supper which used many of the same ingredients as this recipe, just omitting the eggs and using feta instead of parmesan. Everybody liked it.

I forgot I made the Lamb Curry pg276 once and didn't really care for it. But the marinade for Rack of Lamb pg 279
worked really well for a lamb shoulder roast that I roasted in the oven. I used lemon juice instead of the balsamic vinegar though. Mmmm! maybe I'll take some lamb out of the freezer for tomorrow...

I better go, this post is making me hungry LOL :D and it's past my breakfast time.

C U L8R,
amie
:wave:

CaroleSP
Tue, Feb-11-03, 12:20
Balsamic Vinaigrette:

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 T dijon mustard
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 cup pure-pressed extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor or jar with tight fitting lid. Store in fridge, and bring to room temp before serving.

YUMMY!!! :p

Carole

Elke
Tue, Feb-11-03, 15:44
Thank you Carole,
I`m going to try the dressing tomorrow.
I´m thinking about buying that book.
It`s bedtime now.
Good night,
Elke

1German
Tue, Feb-11-03, 20:43
I too love Schwarzbein's Cookbook. Lots of good stuff, like the Crustless Quiche p. 18. Tried the Hummus p. 94 but did not care for it at all! :thdown:
Thanks for some of the other suggestions! I will be sure to give them a try.

:wave:

CaroleSP
Wed, Feb-12-03, 10:52
I also loved the crustless quiche, and so did my hubby!!
Carole

wcollier
Wed, Feb-12-03, 11:25
This is my favorite LC cookbook, hands down. I love all the salad recipes in there. I go for the mayonnaise-based recipes because they make me fuller.

I love the marinade for the Fajitas. I also love the BBQ sauce for the Baby Back Ribs recipe. Let's see, the stroganoff is great too.

I haven't tried a recipe yet that I don't like.

Wanda

Suni
Wed, Feb-12-03, 15:57
I have made the Mediterranean fish quite a few times - it has melted feta on top - it is sooooo good I am going to make it for company. I also love the salad dressing recipes - I used the one posted plus I made the "healing" dressing with the mixture of different oils.

Thanks for pointing out which ones you all liked, I've jotted them down and I will give them a try. I got rid of most of my other cookbooks because I use this one almost exclusively. The best $ I ever spent!

Happy cooking - healthy eating everyone! :D

amieK
Wed, Feb-12-03, 23:11
Ok, here's the recipe for my Black Forest Cheesecake Smoothie:

1/2 c yogurt
1.5 oz cream cheese
6 frozen strawberries
1 tsp dark dutch process cocoa powder
1 heaping Tbsp whey protein powder ( I use Pro-Shop brand)
1/2 tsp real vanilla
3 drops stevia
1 tsp maple syrup
1/4 c water

Blend.

Enjoy!
amieK
:yum:

marnie
Thu, Feb-13-03, 14:50
I have the vegetarian cook book and it is great, too! I will have to check out the other one.

I am not vegetarian, but my husband has to cut down on saturated fats, so we eat mostly veggie. The only problem with the vegetarian cook book is that a lot of the recipes have cheese... and cheese has a lot of sat fat. Great recipes, tho!

Marnie

Piano
Wed, Mar-12-03, 11:33
Would one of you that has the book post the recipe for crustless quiche. I do plan to buy the book after hearing your responses.

Thanks