PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes Type II problems

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Suekay
Fri, Feb-07-03, 12:16
I am a Type II diabetic diagnosed in 6/2001. I started Suzanne Somers' diet on Jan. 1. I was on the maximum Talazimide oral med and huge amounts of insulin (Due to other problems, I cannot take other oral meds.)--100 units of Novalog at breakfast and lunch and long acting N at bed 140 units. I felt horrible, weak, sick to my stomach, blurred vision, etc. After reading a lot of research on Atkins and other web sites I switched to Atkins induction about 3 weeks ago and quit all my diabetes medication and insulin.
Initially my BS levels dropped dramatically from 275-300 (with all the medication and insulin on a strict "diabetic" diet) down to 130-175 (with just the Atkins diet and no meds or insulin!) and a moderate exercise program. However, my morning fasting readings would be higher at 190-225. I began to feel much much better!! I was thrilled.

On 2/5 I had carpal tunnel surgery on an outpatient basis. I added no new meds or OTC's and they gave me no glucose in the hospital. However, my BS readings have been rising; this morning my BS reading was 283. I'm scared the whole thing is reversing. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the unexpected rise in blood sugars or what causes the rise during sleep hours? I'm very discouraged. My nurse at Kaiser's diabetic clinic stressed how bad Atkins' diet is for diabetics (typical medical rhetoric) and wants me to go back on at least night time insulin, but I was hoping diet could solve the problem. Any suggestions or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Ruthxxx
Fri, Feb-07-03, 14:46
I have a clue! Stress causes an increase in the hormone cortisol which causes the liver to release glycogen and puts up your BGL. It should level off as you heal.

I had both wrists done this fall and found that was when my levels went up.

I am sure there will eb other responses but there's a start.

Lisa N
Fri, Feb-07-03, 15:13
Ruth is right on the money. Between the anesthesia and the stress/pain of the surgery, your body is producing the stress hormone cortisol which in turn stimulates glucagon production and your blood sugars go up temporarily.
I'm a little concerned about you just stopping all your mediations. Is your doctor following you closely on this? I know being off all meds is great, but maybe you should consider tapering off slowly instead of just stopping altogether. There's no shame in gradually reducing your medications as your blood sugars show improvement until you need none at all to stay consistently in the normal range all the time.
IMHO, your blood sugar readings are still way too high to be going off meds at this point. Give the diet another month of two to work and watch your blood sugars closely and reduce meds as necessary to prevent hypoglycemic episodes.
Having fasting readings in the morning that are higher than your bedtime readings can be caused by several things; delayed gastric emptying or eating too close to bedtime, glucagon production during the night because your body isn't producing enough insulin, or something known as the Dawn Phenomenon for which there currently is no scientific explanation.
I'd like to suggest that you get a book by Richard K. Bernstein titled "The Diabetes Solution Diet". This is low carb FOR diabetics written BY a diabetic who is also a doctor. I think you'll find a lot of the answers you are looking for in there.

Suekay
Sun, Feb-09-03, 12:56
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lisa N
[B]I'm a little concerned about you just stopping all your mediations. Is your doctor following you closely on this? I know being off all meds is great, but maybe you should consider tapering off slowly instead of just stopping altogether...IMHO, your blood sugar readings are still way too high to be going off meds at this point. Give the diet another month of two to work and watch your blood sugars closely and reduce meds as necessary to prevent hypoglycemic episodes.

Thank you for your knowledgable reply and concern. When I was taking all the insulin and meds my readings were actually higher than the highest readings I've gotten since surgery. My diabetes nurse suggested taking some insulin at night, but when I reviewed the mechanism of insulin v blood sugars, it didn't make sense that insulin could possibly bring down blood sugars. In my case, my numbers were immediately lower just by quitting the insulin and Talazamide! I feel the diabetes clinic and its personnel were poisoning me with their diet and medication. I am really angry when I think of all the Type II diabetics who are trying so hard to keep their BS's under control in the face of such life-threatening advice from "reliable sources." While I am still apprehensive, I feel that for me it would be insane to start up the insulin or medication again. I've been well programed by the medical establishment to believe that what they say is the most reliable information on any given subject. Thus, I'm still fighting with my own disbelief. But after reading detailed medical studies about the mechanism involved in Type II diabetes and high blood sugars, I interpret them to mean insulin only contributes to high blood sugars.

What made me question the ADA recommendations was a pamphlet I got from Kaiser on bariatric surgery which stated that the surgery "cures" Type II diabetes. The basic diet after surgery consists of a cup of food three times a day, eating protein first followed by vegetables, i.e., a ketogenic diet! If this diet "cures" Type II diabetes, why can't I cure it myself without bariatric surgery by following the diet? So far, my premise is correct though I eat greater quantities. I really was so miserable before I switched to Atkins' induction diet, and my quality of life was so poor, that I questioned why I should go on. I was desperate and felt I had nothing to lose by trying it. Now I feel much much better and am beginning to have an interest in life again!

After I read your reply about the Dawn Phenomenon, I did some investigating and further reading of this forum--didn't realize it was an ongoing problem for many of us. Also, I've ordered "The Diabetes Solution Diet." Looking forward to reading it. Thank you.

Susan

Lisa N
Sun, Feb-09-03, 14:13
Susan...

I hate to say this, but there is no cure for diabetes. It can either be well or poorly controlled, but not cured as of this date and there are some people who will not be able to get off all medications for diabetes even following a low carb eating plan. A lot depends on how much function your pancreas still has left, and only specific blood tests can show that. Blood sugars that are consistantly over 150 are capable of doing damage at the cellular level even if you are feeling better physically.
Sometimes insulin is necessary to get blood sugars controlled quickly; the trick is to get the right combinations in the right amounts. I personally don't believe there is anything evil about insulin; it has saved hundreds of thousands of lives for those that need it. It's true that excess insulin (either your own or that which is injected) can contribute to insulin resistance, but the correct amount of insulin won't; it can only help you.
Dr. Bernstein does sometimes recommend long acting insulin at bedtime for those that are having a problem with elevated fasting blood sugars in the morning, but only after all the other possible causes and options have first been ruled out and tried. The important thing is to get the blood sugars down to a level where they are not causing further damage as quickly as possible by any means possible. The longer you let your blood sugars stay elevated, the more risk you run of developing long-term complications. Even Dr. Bernstein (who I respect and trust tremendously) would not take someone off all their medications on day one of low carbing. Adjust them downward, absolutely, but not completely discontinue them right off.
I understand your anger at the establishment for what you consider bad advice (and in most cases, I agree with you!), but there ARE good doctors out there who can advise you and work with you in what you are trying to achieve. I'd encourage you to not throw out the baby with the bathwater and look for a doctor that you can trust and work with.
The choice of whether to take medication or not is always yours, but when I first started low carbing, I didn't throw out my meds the first day (or even the first month). I used them as a tool to help me get control over my blood sugars as quickly as possible because that was my first priority and then began to decrease them as my blood sugars indicated. Insulin resistance doesn't disappear overnight..it takes time; more time for some than for others and if your blood sugars are running over 150 consistantly, you may not have the luxury of waiting that long for your insulin resistance to get better and your blood sugars to decrease. Focus on getting the blood sugars down first and then address the insulin resistance problem through low carbing as you are doing.
Low carb will work in helping you get the best and tightest control of your blood sugars possible, but many people still need medications along with low carb if even just for a short while. Some may always need them if their own insulin production is no longer able to keep up with the body's demands. With blood sugars running as high as yours have been, I'd urge you to reconsider completely stopping medications for now and seek a second opinion from a different doctor, preferably an endocrinologist. Ask them how they feel about low carb before you even set an appointment and try to find one who is low carb friendly.