PDA

View Full Version : I feel AWFUL

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

stranna
Wed, Feb-05-03, 10:29
I've been on the Atkins diet (induction) for about 6 days. Breakfast time is killing me. I wake up at 5:45 to go to the gym. By the time I'm only about 10 minutes into my workout, I'm so weak and shakey I think I'm passing out. Then I eat protien and am a little better but have a HUGE headache. I tried eating an Atkins Protein Bar - 1/2 of one BEFORE my workout, but then I got really sick feeling. Other than that....I'm fine. I'm so sick of eggs I could die.

What suggestions can you give me? What am I doing wrong. This morning for breakfast I had about 1/4 grilled hamburger w/cheese. YUCK. I just ate a protein bar and feel much better. Can I have protein bars/shakes on induction??

Thanks for your suggestions!

Frederick
Wed, Feb-05-03, 11:56
Hi Stranna,

I've been experiencing the same hurdles as you are when facing the 2 weeks of Induction.

When I go on my runs, I too have found that after about 15 minutes, I feel extremely sluggish and fatigued. However, so far, I've been able to finish my runs just by pushing through it.

However, I was told by someone on this forum that excercise isn't recommended for Induction--and, might even pose some issues. How serious, I'm not sure.

My main problem is breakfast as well. After Induction, having some fruits and cheese for breakfast would help, in my view. For now, as you've said, the eggs, bacons, and hamburgers everyday for breakfast is, to say the least, trying.

Good luck!

Iowagirl
Wed, Feb-05-03, 15:00
Stranna-
You might want to consider the TKD (targeted ketogenic diet)- a pre work out carb up (20-50 carbs) then low carb the rest of the day. Check out the CKD link on this site and it will tell you more.

There's also protein shakes for breakfast, lots of recipes on this site. I whip up my own creation (one egg, 1/4 c cottage cheese, some heavy cream, water and however I want to flavor it - coffee, flavored syrups....)

Good luck!

yael
Thu, Feb-06-03, 09:34
Hi Stranna,

I remember those feelings from the days when I first started a low carb diet.

Feeling weak and shaky and zero energy is no fun. One thing that helped me is a morning drink of a no-carb electrolyte solution. Alacer makes a good one called Emergen-C Lite. Also, the more water you can drink, the better; that will flush out all the toxins left over from the days of a high-carb, high sugar diet.

The headaches are probably a direct result of caffeine withdrawal. They should be gone within a few days.

I think you will find that the icky feelings will go away soon - and you will see the great result of a no-sugar diet in your skin within a few days.

Good luck!
yael

stranna
Thu, Feb-06-03, 09:59
:wave: Thanks Yael!!!!!

I will go today and find Alacer's Emergen-C Lite. That sounds like it may help. I'm sure your right....I will also double up on my water intake (this is hard as I really never feel thirsty, so I have to make myself drink water).

I'm determined to stick this out!.

Thanks again!

STRANNA

yael
Thu, Feb-06-03, 10:10
Hi again Stranna! Thanks for your reply. It is going to be great to have some on-line support to keep me enthused about my plan.

I notice that we are at about the same place, and with the same goals, in our diet plan. That is nice too!

You should be able to find the Alacer Emergen-C Lite at your local health food or natural foods store. It comes in single-serving foil packets. I think it tastes best mixed with a flavored spring water.

I don't crave water either, but I force myself to drink as much as I can. It helps everything - weight loss, cravings, skin texture and mood swings.

I hope you'll keep posting! :wave:
Yael