PDA

View Full Version : I am mystified!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

happyface
Mon, Feb-03-03, 17:07
Hello Everyone! What a welcome relief to find this site! I have a question: Can one be in ketosis and NOT lose weight? I have been STRICTLY on Atkins for almost one month, am in full ketosis, but have lost only THREE POUNDS! My doctor says that my metabolism is borderline and he does not want to prescribe thyroid medicine at this point. My morning resting temperature is 96-97, which seems low to me. Ten years ago I was on a medical protein fast and lost 50 pounds. I gained it back 5 years ago and I cannot budge the scale, no matter what! Is there any hope for me? I am truly desperate, not to mention starving. Thanks for any info.

lesleyc
Mon, Feb-03-03, 17:16
Hi There,

If you are starving...then eat more :)

That could be you problem. If you have a history of gaining and losing your body may well be hanging on to everypound because it thinks you are trying to starve it.

There is no need to watch calories in the early stages of aAtkins and Dr A says that you should never let yourself get hungry..

Try eating more, and more regularly you may find that will help get the weight loss going

Lesley

happyface
Mon, Feb-03-03, 20:43
Thank you, Lesley, I appreciate your suggestions. I can't help remembering the words of my doctor so many years ago who administered the protein fast; he said " This is it. Your body will not respond to another diet after this one, so make sure you keep the weight off". His words have proven right, not only for me, but for others who went on Optifast, Medifast, etc. I think because that diet was so radical it altered my metabolic function somehow. Anyway, what you say about eating more makes sense. Maybe I can trick my body into letting go of the pounds by not allowing it to sense starvation. I will hang in there, no matter what. Thanks again.