PDA

View Full Version : NEW BOOK! Low-Carb Comfort Foods

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ruralgurl
Mon, Feb-03-03, 12:47
I saw a new recipe book at Costco! Low-Carb Comfort Foods!
It is put out by the Eades. It seemed to have great recipes and the servings appeared to be low-carb. I couldn't afford the book just then but I am curious if anyone has it and what do you think. Is it worth owning?

Kristine
Tue, Feb-04-03, 09:27
As soon as I pay off my credit card, I'm going on a shopping spree at amazon, so I'll let you know. ;)

cheezpup
Tue, Feb-04-03, 19:15
I think this book has proved to me more than any other that I can live happily on a low-carb eating plan for the rest of my life.

So far I've made whole weat bread, chocolate chip cookies, and cheese biscotti! Delicious!

Amieq
Tue, Feb-25-03, 11:02
I just started using it this weekend - also made the cheesy biscotti (how great are those?) and the almond biscotti (didn't put enough stevia in so they're quite savory) and the Mock Mashed Potatoes, which are a real treat. I'm going to try the barbecue sauce tonight! Definitely requires some extra ingredients you probably don't stock, but the health food store in my small town had everything I needed.

No pictures in the book! Which is too bad - might encourage a little more experimentation!

Karen
Tue, Feb-25-03, 13:18
I have it and am slowly reading through it. Lots of great ideas but the use of flour in some of the baking recipes spooks me! Even in small quantities. :eek:

But, that's just me!

Karen

Ruralgurl
Tue, Feb-25-03, 15:51
Thanks everyone for your comments!
Yes Karen I worry about the flour as well. I try to stick to the meat and veggies myself. I think I may even be enjoying too much dairy at times, in my coffee! I can see the benefit of tricking my family into eating some of the low-carb stuff though. My husband is getting to be a real carb junkie and he is getting the belly to prove it!!
Well you are all making me hungry with the biscotti talk, now I am sorry I bought the YOGA tapes rather than the book!!

CaroleSP
Tue, Feb-25-03, 19:33
I was thinking about getting the cookbook too.
Carole
:)

Karen
Wed, Feb-26-03, 02:16
I can see the benefit of tricking my family into eating some of the low-carb stuff though.

Right on! An excellent strategy.

In my LC cooking classes I do the same thing. I make pancakes and stuff like that. I rarely eat those items myself, but I really want to show people that there is a huge range with low-carbing. Most of them do not have much fat to lose. They only have to eat better and they would feel better! :D

Karen

Lisa N
Sun, Mar-02-03, 14:05
I got the book a week ago and so far everything I've made has been a hit.
The use of flour, even in small amounts does concern me some, but often if you work it out it comes to a teaspoon or so per serving; that's not much and is certainly way less than the conventional high carb recipes would contain. I'm still going to be checking closely to see how these recipes affect my blood sugars.
I also like that the Eades' stress that while many of the recipes are low carb, they are not low calorie and should be used sparingly, especially the "treat" foods such as breads and desserts and cut back (or out) if you stop losing weight while eating them. Many of those recipes taste so good, it would be very easy to overdo it and eat too much.

Jayburn
Sat, Mar-15-03, 16:53
Yes, it does appear that we must be careful , watch the calories despite claims that this is not necessary, and also research the foods we eat or bake that are "low carb" I bought a package of onion bagels in a health food store. Package says 8 (net) carbs per bagel which are rather chubby in size, similar to a regular Manahttan bagel...I cut one in half to have with a slice of cheese for breakfast..it was wonderful...But then, when I looked for ingredients, there was nothing there for me to assess, no nutrition count, not even total weight, so I called the store. They claim their baker doesn't want to reveal his recipe...So what do you do? Then I looked at an Atkins recipe for bread, total carbs were 23 for entire loaf, so I surmised that six bagels, at 48 net are possible to create...

By the way, how does gram translate into tsp or tb or quarter cup or anything? :confused:

Jean

Amieq
Sat, Mar-22-03, 10:05
Just a little note about the Sublime Truffle recipe in this book - they actually taste a lot more like cheesecake than chocolate - not that that's a bad thing!

We've modified the recipe to reduce the carbs a bit - I use white chocolate instead of dark, and it is tasty enough to completely eliminate the Splenda. (I grate the chocolate before I put it in the double-boiler because I'm not patient enough to stir those squares until they melt!) And I pour it into little petite-four cups instead of rolling it in anything. The hardest part is waiting for them to chill! But now, one or two after dinner is all it takes to completely eliminate cravings. And that only adds 1 or 2 grams of carbs! They're divine, and they freeze very well.

AmieQ

moe0204
Thu, Mar-27-03, 23:34
I'm usually a pretty good cook. I made the miracle rolls and they were horrible. by the time I put the third egg in there was no way they were going to need four and they tasted like nasty rubber. Have these turned out for anyone? Any tips?

paradise
Sat, Apr-05-03, 10:06
Jayburn/Jean did you get those bagels at the Low Carb Connection in Shrewsbury, NJ? I got a frozen package from there and it sounds suspiciously the same (I haven't called the store). The bagels were very good, almost too good, I would have liked to have a little nutritional info. though. I probably will not buy them again unless there is decent labeling on them.

Judygb
Fri, May-16-03, 19:08
I keep the Sublime Truffles in the freezer and we love to eat them that way. They are a daily treat they curb my appetite and give me energy. I use low or no carb dark chocolate bars instead of the real chocolate and cut the total carbs quite a bit. I roll the little chocolate balls in ground or chopped almonds or make peanut clusters with them. I put 2 o3 raisins (1 extra carb) in some for my DH. With the dark chocolate they taste like a rich chocolate, just too good and so low carb. I don;t roll them in cocoa, just nuts of coconut. This recipe is worth the price of the book.

Angeline
Wed, May-28-03, 08:11
I think there is a recipe in that book called Gourmet Rye Bread. It's made with ground almonds, bran, gluten flour and rye flour.

I haven't bought the book yet, but Oxygen magazine published a few of their recipes and this is where I got this recipe.

Has anyone tried it yet ? I made it but the loaves didn't really triple in bulk like they were supposed to, so I am wondering if I did something wrong. Nevertheless, the bread was still pretty good, with a nice slightly crunchy texture to it.

Jayburn
Thu, May-29-03, 14:04
No, I bought the bagels in Melbourne, FL and yes, they do seem too good to be true. And no, they did not offer any nutritional info either. The owner of the health food store when I asked, just answered that the baker won't give up her secret recipe...what that has to do with offering the carb and fiber count I do not know. Meanwhile I am enjoying my Oh-S0-lo rolls, toasted. They are $3.00 for a box of four. net count 3 carbs.

Jayburn

Angeline
Tue, Jun-17-03, 18:57
OMG, I just made the recipe called "Best Almond Biscotti". I can't stop eating them they are so good. I'm drinking Chai Tea with them, the combo is just marvelous.

Whatever you do, don't make these cookies they are evil :)

Angeline
Tue, Jun-17-03, 19:07
BTW, I tried those Magic Rolls and they turned out ok. I found them a little too eggy tasting for me. The technique she uses is almost identical to making pastry puffs.

Personally I prefer her bread recipes

Judygb
Sun, Jun-29-03, 07:39
I would encourage everyone to obtain this book and try the Sublime Truffles first. You can use carb-o-lite dark choc. bars, cut down on the Splenda and not coat them and lower the carbs to about 1 gram each. Better tasting chocolate than Stouffer's. Keep frozen and eat frozen, just too good.

I made the Sugar Cookie Recipe at .7 grams each and my DH thought they were cookies we couldn't eat because they are that good. They taste like my sour cream cookies. I used half of the recipe to spread out on a cookie sheet. I baked it and topped it with whipped cream with raspberry "stars" and strawberry "stripes" like our flag. It was the best treat and I am making it again next week for our 4th of July Party.

The Cinnamon-nut rolls are like a famous restaurant here has served for many years. These are just too good!

With all the new about the down side of about soy I find the very little flour easy to take with no worries. I believe this is also mentioned in the books forward.

DDMariana
Sat, Jul-05-03, 11:16
Luckily for me, chocolate and truffle things don't really push my buttons...I'd much rather have a piece of cake or a muffin with coffee...it's the bready things that do it... I'm glad to hear that the nut rolls turned out pretty good!!! That sounds like it's right up my alley.

but I am thrilled to hear about this book and will definitely include it in the structuring of my new personal LC plan. I've been missing some of my old favorites.

Sherrillbj
Thu, Jul-10-03, 14:45
Angelilne: Hi, I was wondering if you are still making the rye bread and have gotten better results? I want to try it but would like any help before I try. Did you use a food procecesor, mixer or my hand? Any details would be helpful. Thanks,
Sherrillbj