PDA

View Full Version : hello...this is my first day

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

thinagain
Sun, Feb-02-03, 14:06
I just wanted to say hello! Any and all tips would be wonderful. I am starting the atkins diet tommorow morning :roll: Thanks so much!!!

kypraia
Sun, Feb-02-03, 14:41
Hi thinagain,

Welcome to the forum!

Here's a few tips to get you started:

If drinking lots of water is hard for you, drink it with a straw--much easier.
Read as many LC books as you can, and definitely read (and occasionally re-read) Atkins since that's the one you've chosen.
Start a journal on this forum so we can support you and offer advice and encouragement.
Learn about supplements, vitamins, etc, and decide if you want to take any of those (I do take about 10 myself!)
GET RID OF ALL HIGH-CARB FOOD , just go through your fridge, freezer, and cupboards and give it all away.
And of course, read as much on this forum as you can so that you can learn ahead of time what to expect and how to get things going for you.

We're glad to have you.
Best, Kypraia

tallguy
Mon, Feb-03-03, 11:29
Welcome,

I've been on induction for 3 weeks now. I had a little discomfort (headaches, loss of engery) in the first week. I feel great now. I'm never feel hungry. My best advice for starting out is: keep your menu simple, drink tons of water, and get lots of rest.

There are many knowledgeable people on this site. Surf around. Just remember when your reading posts that people are on various plans and are in differents stages of weight loss. Not all that is written will apply to your situation.

Check out a site called "fitday.com" Its great for keeping track of what you eat, carb count, and getting all your nutrients.

;) Happy low carbing,

Dave

Ducky52
Mon, Feb-03-03, 11:40
Welcome thinagain - I'm new here as well, and am only on day 2 of Induction. So far so good - I was 2 pounds less this morning than I was yesterday morning!

What I did yesterday was make a list of the foods I like that can be consumed during Induction, and then went to the grocery store. So now I'm stocked up on everything. I did as many others have said, I threw/gave away those foods I can't eat (within reason, since I do live with my fiancee who can eat until he's blue in the face and not gain an ounce - UGH!). Then I spent a good amount of time planning what I'd have for lunch, preparing what I could ahead of time. I made 4 bowls with 2 cups of salad in each of them, and bring those to work for lunch. I bought 3 different types of cheese, cut them all up and bagged them, and now they're ready to grab for a snack. I believe that preparation is the real key on any weight loss plan.

Best of luck to you!

:wave:

thinagain
Mon, Feb-03-03, 19:51
Thank you all so much for your kind words and support. I could really use the encouragement. It's alot harder than I imagined, but I am very excited.

macc
Mon, Feb-03-03, 20:13
Hi thinagain!

I'm so glad you're on this plan, and keeping a journal. I am new to the board, and I know how much it means when someone notices and replies!

It may be hard the next few days, but hang in there. This is the easiest way I've ever lost weight, because it's possible to never get hungry. And most cravings cease if you're off the food for a while. It did take me about four days to get the sugar out of my system, but after that I started feeling soooo good! I used to always be tired no matter what, but now I'm really not. I believe you'll really see a difference soon, so stay focused!

macc

next goal: 4lbs off by 2/14/03

Serendipit
Tue, Feb-04-03, 21:42
:wave: Hi!
Just surfing through journals and intros' and came across yours. Thought I would just drop a quick note to say hi !!!
I just started on Atkins recently as well and have found many people on this site that are extremely helpful. Just browsing the journals is great too. You get flooded with so much info and everyone is so supportive :)
Good Luck on your lc woe !!! Keep in touch and I will check in on you again!
Bess

thinagain
Thu, Feb-06-03, 18:40
Ok, this is harder then I thought...it seems like my mind is set on the things that I can't have....does anyone have any ideas for induction recipies? I have been doing okay, but I just want to troubleshoot before I get too bored. Thanks!!!

macc
Fri, Feb-07-03, 10:52
Hi thinagain!

I hope this week is easier for you. You asked for recipes. Do you have the Atkins book, or Suzanne Somers? She presents a different WOE plan, but there are some of her recipes that fit Atkins also.

Because I enjoy sweets, I really like to have something that makes me feel like I'm enjoying something "normal". I don't think this is allowed in induction, but my friend gave me this idea:

prepare sugar free Jell-o
when it's set, stir in two packets of Splenda and softened cream cheese. It sometimes doesn't look really appetizing, but who cares?? It tastes wonderful! LOL It's creamy and rich to me.

Also, cheese really satisfies me, so I slice colby cheese very thin, and put it in the microwave til it's melted and crunchy. It depends on how thin it's sliced on how long you cook it. I enjoy this snack, but it's not allowed on induction either. But if you're in your second week, you can have this next week. My friend used this cheese to make "lasagna"---in place of noodles. She mixes it with hamburger, a little tomato sauce, etc. and makes her own lasagna. I haven't tried that yet, but it sounds good.

I've found that most recipes can be modified to be low carb. Just take your favorite recipes and read over them. A few changes can work, and make you feel good eating familiar foods. I struggle finding accompanying dishes to go with the meat. I like salad and green beans, but get really tired of them! I just need to take time to discover different veggies to fix.

Spend a day brainstorming, write it all down, and make out general menus. It will take a while at first, but may keep you sane--and faithful--later!

macc

penelope
Fri, Feb-07-03, 11:05
Hi thinagain,
I have been on a cabbage kick lately .I have sauerkraut with sausages or I have LC coleslaw. Mayo 1pkg Splenda white vinegar with Steak.
I also love any meat sauté in olive oil and butter on top of a salad.

thinagain
Sat, Feb-08-03, 20:49
I made "mac and cheese" with califlower and cheese ;) thanks for all of the ideas. I have read the book, there are just alot of meats I have yet to introduce into my diet, especially the red meats....But I love cabbage and leafy greens. I really am thankful for all of the support. :wave: