PDA

View Full Version : Trying Again

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

rckjan5
Sat, Feb-01-03, 14:08
Hi, I am not new to low carb plans, but am starting a new day and a new life. I need help with ideas for feeding others not on a low carb plan. I also tend to get bored and am hoping that this forum will give me incentive and ideas to keep going.

mischa
Sat, Feb-01-03, 16:04
Hi rckjan5 and welcome,

you will find a lot of good recipes in the Kitchen section, so there is no need to get bored with your food.
You may want to start your own journal, there you can write down your daily's and it's a great place to meet new people and share recipes and ideas.

Have a good read around...so much helpful information here.

Mischa

liz175
Sat, Feb-01-03, 17:12
Welcome! I see from your profile that you are the mother of three teens -- I have two teens myself (13 and 17), both still at home. We are also at similar weights (although I started out much heavier) and have similar goal weights.

I pretty much cook what I am eating (protein, vegetables, etc.), but I often throw some baked potatoes in the oven or make some rice for my kids and husband (none of whom need to lose weight and none of whom are low carbing). Sometimes I'll do something like make spaghetti squash for myself and regular spaghetti for them. When my husband cooks (which he does more than I do), he usually makes something with protein (he loves fish) and a vegetable, and may also make something high carb that I don't eat. When the kids cook, it's almost always high carb (their repertoire is limited to pasta, pancakes, and other things I don't eat)and then I make myself a salad and put cheese and meat on the salad with oil and vinegar. I always keep salad fixings, cheese, and some type of cooked meat in the house for quick meals. Generally it works out pretty well.

I've been doing this for almost seven months and the rest of the family has gotten used to it. In fact, they have become very supportive, and I've noticed that the quantity of carbs they eat has dropped.

Good luck! I love this way of eating and have not found it difficult to work it into family meals. If you have questions, please stop by my journal. I love visitors.

Kristine
Sat, Feb-01-03, 18:35
Hiya! I don't have any kids, but I cook for myself LC cavewoman style, plus a vegetarian boyfriend! :daze:

Sounds like Liz has it down pat: remember that *your* food - the meat, vegetables, eggs, etc - are wonderful, nutrient dense foods. Base the family meals around that. The stuff they might want - potatoes, pasta - that can just be a quicky side dish. Even if you're having something like tacos, burgers or hot dogs, yours can easily be low carb. :thup: If you order pizza, order yourself some wings. You can have that, plus some pizza toppings.

If your kids are all old enough to work the microwave, you can always do what my mom did: declare "fend for yourself" night whenever you don't want to cook for them! :D

Best of luck to you!