PDA

View Full Version : CALP, zone,...atkins? oh, my

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

rainbird
Fri, Jan-31-03, 10:44
hi all,
is this plan much different from the zone? I was watching Fox last night and they had a comparison of Atkins, the zone and some exercise plan called, "take your shape".... all three of the plans worked, but they said the zone was the one that the person could stick to and live with and keep the weight off???
From what I saw on tv, the zone they showed was a lot like CALP...I have the CALP book and have started to think about switching from ATkins to CALP. I have been eating a bowl of old fashioned rolled oats at night and that has started me losing more weight. I don`t think I can stick to atkins for a lifetime...just way too restrictive and too, too much meat for me.
Anyway....I am learning about this alternative, LC way of eating and was wondering about the zone compared to CALP...thanks

luv67fire
Fri, Jan-31-03, 12:11
rainbird,

I'm sorry, I just don't know enough about the Zone to compare the two.

However, just wanted to say that I'm glad you at least chose low-carb as the way to go, and you're right to want something to live with.

I personally feel that Atkins is GREAT for losing lots of weight really fast. I don't think that it is unhealthy at all. However, because it is so restrictive, and low carb products (albeit are available) are not in every store yet, I just don't think I could do that for a long period of time. I have a problem with cheating and this allows me to "cheat" once a day without any adverse effects.

Anyways, hope you find your answers, and if you choose to do CALP/CAD than we'll be here to answer any questions you might have!

Good luck!

rainbird
Fri, Jan-31-03, 14:17
I just read through the CALP book and I have decided to follow that...I have 100 pounds to lose, so I need something I can live with for a life-time. This seems like just made for me. I have skipped breakfast, as I usually don`t like to eat it and see that is fine. I am just about to fix some shrimp, with a salad and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with tea for lunch.....I LOVE my veggies and with this plan I am free to eat them. I also like a piece of bread now and then or an apple or orange, and I see that I can have one at my rewards meal....this is GREAT
thanks.....

luv67fire
Fri, Jan-31-03, 15:03
I just noticed, but you and I have about the same goals. I am 5'7" with pretty muscular legs so I have my goal at about 140-145.

But yah, I started at 248 with 100 pounds to lose. I've lost 20 of it already and now am going downwards again.

If you've been on Atkins, you might see a few pound gain for the first week or two, but it will come off.

Oh yah, and WELCOME :D !!!!

rainbird
Fri, Jan-31-03, 15:10
thanks, and yeah, wow....we do have about the same stats....
I live in Southern CA, so we share the same coast... :D beautiful weather, eh? well, at least down here....we DO NEED some rain though, so hope we get some...
I am off to work....good to "meet" you

luv67fire
Sat, Feb-01-03, 17:54
Hey no frets, you will be getting quite a bit between the 9th and the 15th of this new month! I hear No Cali is supposed to get really heavy rains, but it will get to you first!

Lol, I think winter forgot about California this year! I mean, it just passed right over us with those storms for a few weeks and then moved right along. Which doesn't bother me too much, but all this nice weather is making me ache for spring!

rainbird
Sat, Feb-01-03, 19:23
howdy again....
did really good today on the CALP diet.... :D I had eggs and bacon with green tea for breakfast and I have not been hungry all day!!!!!!!!! :roll: I am so happy that this is working for me. I was able to eat rolled oats with milk for late dinner after work last night....this diet is really going to be good.
I have been thinking of ordering that exercise machine called the gazelle....have you heard of it? It looks like something I can do at home. The low impact would be good for my knees.
frets...I think I will do great during the 9th -the 15th...actually my great time of month...it is now that is worse for me..the "hormonal" thing...I hope each time it will be my last one :confused: I am nearing that ...but now it is every 2-3 weeks...uck!
Yep...this weather is great! I want to get out and do some gardening, but hubby says it is too early....rain? really? soon? we do indeed need it. Or this summer is going to be a drag...hot, hot and more hot and dry.
Well, I did not weigh today....but I am going to do so in the morning, I am hoping for at least a half a pound...we`ll see....but I feel so much better