PDA

View Full Version : Broccoli Casserole

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LisaL
Sun, Jan-26-03, 13:05
I plan to make a recipe that I found, but need some help re-figuring (and lowering) the carbs. First the ORIGINAL recipe...

1 1/4 Lb Broccoli
3 bread slices
1 Cup Cheddar cheese; Shredded
4 Eggs
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Cup Milk

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a shallow casserole. Chop the broccoli into bite-sized pieces.
Tear the bread into 1" pieces and spread in an even layer in the casserole.
Top with the broccoli. Beat the milk, eggs, cheese and salt together with a fork in a separate bowl.
Pour the cheese mixture over the broccoli. Cover. Bake for 35 minutes.

Okay..now the CHANGES..I plan to substitue heavy cream for the milk, and about 1 cup of parmesean cheese for the bread slices. Originally the recipe stated that it was 80 carbs for the entire recipe....can someone help me out and tell me what it would be now with my changes?

Thanks!...Lisa

Kristine
Sun, Jan-26-03, 17:13
What you plan on doing sounds good. :thup: Let us know how it turns out. I would just water down the cream a tad, since it's so much thicker than milk.

To get the carb counts, the easiest thing to do would probably be to enter it all onto www.fitday.com . Go to tomorrow's date, enter all the ingredients, and then you have the entire recipe's counts. Divide by the number of servings.

HTH. :cool:

Karen
Mon, Jan-27-03, 01:16
You could always use pork rinds or a low-carb bread in place of the bread slices.

By the sounds of it, the bread would form a "crust" and absorb some of the liquid. The proportion of eggs to liquid as is would make a firm custard, so you don't need the Parnesan as a stand in for the bread. But by all means, use it if you want to. It would be cheesey and good!

Karen