PDA

View Full Version : Grave's Treatment & Atkin's

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Trish L.
Sat, Jan-25-03, 15:03
I am being treated for Grave's Disease (hyperthyroidism) with Tapezole. I flat-out refuse to have the RAI treatment, have been treated unsuccessfully with PTU in the past, and am having some success with the Tap. In fact, I am probably hypothyroid right now. I also quit smoking 6 months ago, which is in all likliehood affecting metabloic rates as well. (Although I also gain weight when hyper. Sigh)
My question is though, do I have any chance of LC success given the meds I'm on? I'm coming up to the end of two weeks of induction with very little scale or measurement success. I'm really crabby and very discouraged.
I am scheduled to be on these meds for another 3 months.
Any advice?
Thanks.

MorganUK
Thu, Mar-06-03, 07:13
I also am Hyper thyroid and have been following this woe since july 2002. I had my reservations about the sucess I might have due to the drugs that I take.

I have so far lost 57lbs - and many symptoms of my hyperthyroid/graves disease have disappeared. my THyroid eye disease is hugely improved - I still have the pretibial myxedema - but it is much improved also..

To be honest this woe has changed my life.

unruley
Thu, Mar-27-03, 22:16
Why are you refusing the RAI treatment for Hyper thyroid?
It was a tough decision for me but I had it done Nov 2001 and have been in the normal range since May 2002. All I know is that the hyper symptoms were unbearable for me, especially the heart meds I was on to control the rapid heart rate.
I tried the "natural route" but it didn't go too well and I was tired of being sick. I am grateful now that my life is back to normal.

Pug4Life
Fri, Apr-04-03, 16:05
I too am hyper. Went into remission for the past year and a half, after taking tapezole for a year. I didn't want the radiation either because according to my endo, they don't know the exact amount to give you and so you could end up very hypo-something I definitely did not want!
Thankfully, like I said, I went into remission. My endo said that if I didn't get better after a year on tapezole, he would STRONGLY (almost forcefully) tell me to get the radiation. Phwew!
Anyway, I am drug free at this moment and getting my blood checked every 6 months now. So far so good.

My only worry is that I have packed on quite a few pounds these past few months and am about to try coconut oil. (Other members of this board and other places recommend it for weight loss and general health). Has anyone with HYPER ever had success with it not kicking them back in?

smileygrl
Tue, Apr-29-03, 07:26
I am also Hyper/T Graves. And of course we are suppose to lose weight Ha! not so for me either I heard a lot of good news about Atkins and Lc diets for Thyroid disease so I am starting now. I am also on Tap, and I feel real good at the present time. I actually went shopping the other day without a anxiety attack Yeh.
I also joined Curves weight loose center it is a lot of fun and all the women are ALL sizes. I lost 98lbs and 8inches in 3 weeks which was WOW for me. But I relapsed and cheated so now I am starting new also with the LC and curves hopefully I will lose more. Good luck. :sunny: Brighter days ahead