PDA

View Full Version : I wish I found this site sooner

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

vm649
Sat, Jan-25-03, 09:49
I started on Adkins in April 2002, and wish that I had Found this support in the beginning.

I am a 47 year old male, 5 ft 6 in, and weighed in at 250 + lbs (I stopped getting on the scale at 250) with a 42 inch pant size (I wore size 40s but should have bought bigger pants) I suffered with high blood preasure, and hypoglycemia. I now weigh 160 and have a 30 inch waste, am no longer on bp meds, and my low blood sugar is always under control. My Dr. is happy with my weight loss, and have just had another set of blood test run (Should get them back next week) My BMI is still just a shade high.

My problem is that my wife, family and friends think I have lost too much weight and they say I look Sick. I work out 3 days a week at the local YMCA, and have never felt better. They are always trying to get me to eat things that I shouldn't.

I need the support this group offers.

ps . . . I wish this thing had spell-checker

Talon
Sat, Jan-25-03, 10:09
Hello and welcome to the forum from a fellow Kentuckian! :wave:

At 160 pounds and at 5' 6'', depending upon your build, you may be getting to that just right or too skinny stage. Your family is probably just generally worried - Low-Carb eating is still not considered safe in some circles. (but not here!)

BrewWa
Sat, Jan-25-03, 10:18
I'd like to join Talon and say hello and welcome you to our forum.

Congrats!! You done a great job!! I bet you feel super. Peaople like you inspire the rest of us!!

I guess the temptation to eat things we know we shouldn't will always be there. I would think they would like the "new" you better than the "old" you.

Good luck with the temptations.

BrewWa

Kristine
Sat, Jan-25-03, 11:53
Hi there! Congratulations!! :Party: If you feel like sharing more of your story, do consider posting to the "success stories" forum. :thup:

So your doctor is happy, you're happy, and everyone else isn't? I hope they get used to your new lifestyle. ;)

Welcome aboard! :wave:

Puggy
Sat, Jan-25-03, 19:06
I wonder , VM649, if your family is just having a hard time acclimating to a more pro-active and health conscious you?

Sometimes, it can be very intimidating and overwhelming to watch someone close to us experience a major atittude shift, personal success, weight loss or other life adjustment.

Even postive and healthy changes can put stress on relationships because changing how we perceive others means we cannot ride on old assumptions about predicted behaviors and responses.

The dynamics of all your relationships change when YOU change. The result of the change may be comments or actions that are more relevent to who you used to be before you decided to adopt new behaviors and goals. At times it might even seem that those close to you "miss" your old shape and habits and may even knowingly or unknowingly sabotage you with comments, because they are still adapting to a "new" you.

If you are comfortable with your body, your health is good and you are commited to maintaining your loss, just give your friends and family more time to get used to your new shape and priorities.

T. Beth

lawoman
Sun, Jan-26-03, 12:54
So glad you joined us as you seem to need someone to acknowledge that you feel good,are looking great and do not want to go back to where you were.There are a lot of reasons behind people who seem to want to sabotage us but if you are strong and happy...well,that is the main thing! I had yo-yoed many times and this time I did it for me!! :D The problem was that I got too cocky about adding carbs and gained back 20 out of 68 lbs. The difference is that I did not gain it ALL back.. but rather got back on track instead.Please do not let anyone sway you into going back..it is waaay harder the second time around.I wish you a big welcome and lots of luck in your LC WOL!

Linda

vm649
Sun, Jan-26-03, 16:11
Thank you, to all of you . . . When I get time, I'll try and post a picture. I am currently back on the induction diet, I had gained up to 168, and am currently back down to 163.5 and hope to hit 160 again soon. I really, really, really, do not want to gain this weight back, the Holiday's were rough. My family seems to think I am anorexic, because I don't eat what they think is "healthy". (We went another round again today) I have re-read parts of THE BOOK and realised that I was so afraid that I would gain weight, that I was not eating enough calories, and my body started to store fat. I have increased my protein calories.

My schedule had gotten to busy and I was skipping meals, and was getting hungry. Now that I am eating more, the weight is going down again.

Thanks

lynzee
Tue, Jan-28-03, 18:19
Wow, you've come a long way and have accomplished so much. Congratulations!!!!

It was very enlightening to read your post regarding your body's response to the low calorie intake. I have noticed that I started having a HUGE appetite since last Sunday. But after reading your post and reviewing my diet journal, I can see that I hadn't been eating as much protein.

I'm going to go cook a chicken now... :D

Hope to see on the boards again soon!