PDA

View Full Version : All Meat Chili

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Birdy...
Thu, Jan-23-03, 13:28
This recipe does have a 4 oz can of tomato paste and a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes in its own juice, so there are carbs in it but it makes a lot of chili and is very tasty too.

2.5 pounds ground beef
1 onion chopped
2 Tablespoons Chili powder or to taste
1 Tablespoon Cumin or to taste
1 Tablespoon dry cocoa powder
1 teaspoon granulated garlic (we like garlic)
1/4 teaspoon ceyenne pepper (ground)
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 4 oz can tomato paste
1/2 cup water
2 packets Splenda
1/2 teaspoon salt or (omitt if you wish)

Fry ground beef and onions until no longer pink.

Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for at least 30 minutes. I like to give it an hour to really pick up flavors.

This is really tasty but you must add ALL the ingredients listed in order to enjoy its unique flavor.

Enjoy!

Birdy...

DWRolfe
Thu, Jan-23-03, 16:31
Sounds good to me! I'll give it a try. Many thanks--

Donald :wave:

LadyBug555
Thu, Jan-23-03, 21:52
Hi Donald,
Are you married? I have this single sister............:o

Hey do yopu have any idea on the carb count on this?

Luckysis
Thu, Jan-23-03, 22:10
Watch out now..........LOL

ptjody
Sun, Jan-26-03, 19:06
This sounds really good. Another delicious meat to add to a hamburger chili is chopped chicken breast. You can also buy the larger chunk stew meat..that is always good and helps to fill you without the carb beans.

Bobsleder
Tue, Jan-28-03, 02:42
Hello Birdy,

Like you I am a new member and are scanning the receipie suggestions. Thanks for such a great idea but I'm not sure what one of the items is. What is Splenda?

I pride myself on my cooking abilities but this one is new to me.

Kathryn in Germany

PS - Donald, I have enjoyed all of your suggestions and posts. It's people like you that give people like me hope. Thank you!!!! :wave:

UAGirl
Thu, Feb-27-03, 12:13
This recipe does sound yummy. I think I'll make it and throw in some ground turkey too. Mmmmm I need to stop surfing the recipe section, I'm craving all sorts of stuff now!! :D

Birdy...
Fri, Mar-28-03, 20:23
Hi Kathryn,

Sorry I haven't been back to answer your question about "What is Splenda?"

If you haven't found out by now it's a sweetner like sugar and it comes in loose granules (bulk) or in small yellow packets. And you use it like sugar.

If you can't find it in Germany, you can order it directly from http://www.splenda.com/.

Birdy...

Originally posted by Bobsleder
Hello Birdy,

Like you I am a new member and are scanning the receipie suggestions. Thanks for such a great idea but I'm not sure what one of the items is. What is Splenda?

I pride myself on my cooking abilities but this one is new to me.

Kathryn in Germany

PS - Donald, I have enjoyed all of your suggestions and posts. It's people like you that give people like me hope. Thank you!!!! :wave:

oakejs
Sat, Mar-29-03, 10:43
Anyone know the carb count on this recipe? :)

NOT_MINIME
Sun, Apr-06-03, 17:34
This looks delicious. Think I'll make it for supper tonight . Thanks!:heart:

Birdy...
Mon, Apr-07-03, 09:29
I was out of town this past week and made this chili at a family members house.

She didn't have

So we left it out and she added 1 1/2 pounds of ground pork and 1 pound of ground beef.

and added a small green pepper diced very fine.

I tell you this was even tastier. I'd truly give this one a try too.

I should probably post it separately so everyone will see and try it too.

Sooooo Good! :roll:

Birdy...

Iowagirl
Mon, Apr-07-03, 10:06
Think this will work in the crockpot?

Birdy...
Mon, Apr-07-03, 12:10
I would bet it a crock pot would work just fine for this recipe.

If you try it let me know how it comes out.

Birdy...

tripletmom
Tue, Apr-08-03, 18:31
Guess I should be glad that I found this program in the $5.00 bargain bin (MasterCook) I assumed 10 servings, since you said it makes a lot!

All Meat Chili

Recipe By : Birdy
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 medium onion -- chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
14 ounces diced tomato
4 ounces tomato paste
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons splenda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Per serving: 381 Calories; 31g Fat (72% calories from fat); 20g Protein; 6.2g Carbohydrate; 1.9g Fiber, 96mg Cholesterol; 266mg Sodium

ECC: 4.3g per serving

Karen

MrMsgirl
Thu, Apr-10-03, 16:00
I'm going to try this tonight, as i am a native Texan, and love chili. i thought it might be interesting to put ground beef, ground turkey, pork, and chicken in it. kinda like combination chili. its sounds so yummy to me, as i have been craving something "normal"...lol. thi sounds like it might be just the ticket!
Thanks a bunch!
Rachel :p

Iowagirl
Fri, Apr-11-03, 10:18
This is on the menu for Saturday. Thought I'd use ground turkey, then throw in some kidney beans for the servings for my non low carb guests. (and yes, I'm using the crock pot!)

Iowagirl
Sat, Apr-12-03, 19:33
made this in the crockpot and it turned out great! Thanks for posting this recipe - it's a keeper!

nitrovixen
Mon, Apr-21-03, 19:15
This recipe is delicious..
I prefer more bite so added plenty of cayenne pepper and also some espresso powder to round out the flavor a little more.
My husband loved it too!
thanks!

Sheri

gracecame
Tue, May-06-03, 23:45
Sounds delicious! Think I will throw in some celery and cauliflower for texture.

Thanks so much! K :thup:

SummerYet
Fri, Aug-29-03, 11:04
This is absolutely wonderful and a regular staple in our house now. Thanks!!
~Michelle

mariejoe
Fri, Sep-05-03, 09:38
This recipe does have a 4 oz can of tomato paste and a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes in its own juice, so there are carbs in it but it makes a lot of chili and is very tasty too.

2.5 pounds ground beef
1 onion chopped
2 Tablespoons Chili powder or to taste
1 Tablespoon Cumin or to taste
1 Tablespoon dry cocoa powder
1 teaspoon granulated garlic (we like garlic)
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 4 oz can tomato paste
1/2 cup water
2 packets Splenda
1/2 teaspoon salt or (omitt if you wish)

Fry ground beef and onions until no longer pink.

Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for at least 30 minutes. I like to give it an hour to really pick up flavors.

This is really tasty but you must add ALL the ingredients listed in order to enjoy its unique flavor.

Enjoy!

Birdy...

From fitday, stats for entire recipe:

source grams cals %total
Total: 3378
Fat: 211 1897 58%
Sat: 82 736 22%
Poly: 10 88 3%
Mono: 91 820 25%
Carbs: 79 226 7%
Fiber: 23 0 0%
Protein: 290 1161 35%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

This does not include the splenda, which adds 2, so 79g + 2g carbs = 81g carbs, less 23 g of fiber = 58g NET CARBS, total recipe, or for 6 serving, approx 10g NET CARBS. :thup:

Chillygatr
Tue, Sep-23-03, 11:33
What is "granulated garlic"? Garlic powder? Garlic Salt? I think I'll just substitute 2 fresh cloves minced.

Jo-Ann 2
Tue, Jul-03-07, 18:01
I had to bring this one back to the forfront. It is delicious, it freezes in individual serving and can be microwaved right from frozen. This makes it a great snack. I put a small dollop of sour cream on the top.

I've never put cocoa in a chilli but I can now see why it calls for it. I didn't put in the onion, the splenda or the allspice. I just didn't have them on hand at the time.

This one is a definite keeper.

JoeHead
Wed, Aug-01-07, 18:21
Delicious! Thank you

losenow
Sun, Sep-23-07, 10:51
Does this make 10 servings? I think I missed it.

Semperfi
Fri, Oct-12-07, 16:30
Cant wait to make it! I was looking for a chili recipe! Thanks for posting this!

ScotiaGirl
Wed, Jan-07-09, 09:58
I'm new to this and after reading the posts about this recipe I thought I'ld give it a try. Wow, it is really good, the smell and the taste make this a keeper.
Didn't add the splenda and lessened the tomato paste and onion to lower the carb count.
There seems to be a bit of a difference in the carb count for this recipe ranging from 4.3 net carbs for 10 servings to 10 for 6 servings (the first seems like a small serving and the second seems huge). I doubled the recipe and figure I have about 16 servings. I think my carb count would be approximately 7 net per serving based on the numbers I got. It is worth every carb for that taste.

Scotiagirl

ICanDoThis
Thu, Nov-12-09, 14:46
I'm crockpoting this right now. It's amazing I actually had all the ingredients. Smells so yum!

Cleveland
Thu, Nov-12-09, 19:31
this is essentially Cincinnati chili :yum:

Tecumseh
Tue, Dec-08-09, 22:53
Tag so I can find it later.

3shewolf8
Sun, Jan-31-10, 10:09
I am making this for Superbowl Sunday!!!! Now I can chow down with the "high carb" crowd!! thanks a bunch!

Nancy LC
Sun, Jan-31-10, 10:47
There is a Cincinnati chili recipe here that's really good. Looks almost identical to this one.