PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Wings

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

gammite
Wed, Jan-22-03, 18:00
Hello Folks

After browsing this forum for a while looking for food ideas I noticed that I did not see anything regarding home made buffalo wings.

These are a great idea. I had them two times last week and once this week and it has not effected my loss at all.

Here's how I do it.

20-25 wing pieces
1/2 cup Frank's Hot Sauce (No carbs, No Sugar)
1/3 cup butter

Cook the wings by either frying them for about 12-15 minutes on a stove top or baking them for about 25 minutes at 400. Melt the butter and mix the Frank's Hot Sauce with the butter. After the wings are cooked salt and pepper to taste then smother the wings with the sauce.

This was a great idea for me. I also like the wings with no sauce at all. Sometimes I just eat them with no seasoning. This got me away from the beef, egg and bacon routine. If I never eat bacon again I will not be dissapointed.

Also, I really believe that developing a diverse way of low carb eating early is the key to staying on the program. I swear if I was not making an attempt to be creative this WOE would be difficult to maintain.

Happy B-Wingin!

gammite

Iowagirl
Thu, Jan-23-03, 13:48
Variety is the spice of life! Have you tried the recipe for Deep Dish Quiche Pizza? Very good (and real men can eat it). :D

Where do you find the Frank's Hot Sauce and how hot is it?

gammite
Thu, Jan-23-03, 19:49
Hi Iowagirl,

Frank's Hot Sauce can be found in any major grocery market, right along with the other hot sauces.

Frank's by itself is pretty hot. However, it also has flavor. In contrast, Tabasco sauce is just hot and really no flavor. I have always preferred Frank's.

If you do not like your wing sauce hot you can always dillute the Franks with more butter. It is good either way!

Have a good one,

gammite

Iowagirl
Mon, Jan-27-03, 10:49
Thanks - I will look for this. You know another thing you can do for those wings is to make your own BBQ sauce. I have used sugar free ketchup (in store by diet stuff), splenda, liquid smoke, garlic. It tastes pretty close to Cookie's.

ReneeTN
Sun, Feb-02-03, 23:55
Thanks for the wings recipe...finally something I can fix that the rest of my family can enjoy!

I'm not sure Franks is in my area (Tennessee) but I'll look for it...your right Tabasco hasn't any flavor!

joanne42
Mon, Feb-03-03, 06:45
I make these wings are the time.. It's a wonder I haven't sprouted wings or feathers by now :D I also don't find the sauce hot enough and add some cayenne pepper to it...Just call me a spicey kinda gal :D

ImOnMyWay
Thu, Apr-26-12, 18:36
This is a good basic recipe, but I had to cook the wings for twice the recommended time. Oh, and I did not find it very spicy. Just spicy enough!

Cuse
Mon, Jun-11-12, 06:30
What is the actual carb-count in them, do you know?
Otherwise, sounds beyond delicious! I crave buffalo wings 6 out of 7 days of the week! :p

ImOnMyWay
Sun, Jun-17-12, 11:57
What is the actual carb-count in them, do you know?
Otherwise, sounds beyond delicious! I crave buffalo wings 6 out of 7 days of the week! :p

Zero carbs for the chicken and butter. Hot sauce depends on your brand.

becky7474
Sun, Jun-17-12, 12:27
I bought some lard and deep fat fry mine. :D

shannone10
Sun, Jun-17-12, 18:43
Thanks for reviving this goodie! I made a batch tonight, and all my fussy eaters inhaled them!

I prefer to bake them. IME, this gives the crispiest skin. Which is also a matter of preference.

I had four, and luckily was interrupted. Ten minutes later I was totally "full". That was dinner. Perfect!

neek87
Sun, Jul-22-12, 14:10
I love making wings. I bake them in the oven. My grocery store has a good selection of wing sauces so I use several different kinds. Still haven't tried Frank's, but I'll have to try it soon.