PDA

View Full Version : Cottage Cheese and Yogurt

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lessara
Tue, Jan-21-03, 12:00
I was under General low carbing that yogurt with its active cultures is low carb, my question is this. Can we eat it and does Cottage cheese have the same cultures? I'm still finding my breakfast solution... Thanks

Zuleikaa
Tue, Jan-21-03, 12:41
CAs can react to cottage cheese and yogurt. Yogurt is not allowed. Cottage cheese is YMMV. I serving is 1/2 cup. You can not have two, it puts you over the carb count. How about trying a Keto shake or whey protein shake if you're desperate.

TeriDoodle
Tue, Jan-21-03, 15:24
Lessara- What Zule says may be true by CAD standards, but the Hellers may not be calculating the carbs correctly, either! (See this article (http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/yogurt.html) .) I don't know for sure. If cottage cheese is a YMMV, and yogurt with active cultures technically has fewer carbs (4g/cup) than cottage cheese, I'd say go for it. It's very, very good for your intestinal health and a delicious breakfast alternative. Buy whole milk yogurt WITH ACTIVE CULTURES. You may have some difficulty finding it... I have to go to my health food store to get it.

And by the way, cottage cheese does not have active cultures.

skyspinner
Tue, Jan-21-03, 16:07
From what I've read in the Hellers' books, they feel that cottage cheese frequently contains MSG act-alikes, and they no longer recommend it. Carageenan usually appears as an ingredient, and "Natural Flavour" means MSG.

So, it's truly YMMV!

tsfairy
Tue, Jan-28-03, 18:02
What does YMMV stand for?

(Sorry I'm new to this LC thang :daze: )

skyspinner
Tue, Jan-28-03, 21:10
Oh, sorry.....it's really not LC, just "netspeak" for "Your Mileage May Vary", meaning it may or may not work out for you on your plan. :)

tsfairy
Thu, Jan-30-03, 17:52
Originally posted by skyspinner
Oh, sorry.....it's really not LC, just "netspeak" for "Your Mileage May Vary", meaning it may or may not work out for you on your plan. :)

:lol: I like that.
Thanks!!!

skyspinner
Fri, Jan-31-03, 22:34
There's a lot of "listening to your body" that goes a long way towards finding your personal success on CAD. Follow the plan the way the Hellers wrote it, sure, but also remain aware of how your body reacts to what you put into it.

Some things they recommend may simply not work for you, hence "YMMV"!

:)

rainbird
Sat, Feb-01-03, 19:35
I seem to be able to eat 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with a meal and do great. I buy the organic kind...no added ingredients... Does not start cravings for me. I have not tried to eat yogurt yet?...what kind? Surley not yoplait, right? sugar? do you guys mean plain yogurt? thanks