PDA

View Full Version : Stumbling along the way

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

voodoo
Sat, Jan-18-03, 21:46
Hello everyone I am a new member. I started doing the Atkins Diet on Monday 1/13/03. Until today I was doing well by keeping my daily carb intake amount to about 10. Early this morning I had a good breakfast consisting of 2 soft boiled eggs and 3 small slender sauges. My wife and I were out all day searching for a new home to move into, as we were running around all day I didn't have anything to eat. So I purchased a large can of planters peanuts and had about 4 or 5 hands full of these nut, I really love peanuts. Afterwards I began to really feel bad because I had been doing so well all week. Can anyone share with me of any simular experiences as well as tell me if I made as big of an mistake as I think or am I making a big deal of it. "voodoo" :(

penelope
Sat, Jan-18-03, 21:56
Hello Voodoo, :)
Click on the orange bar above then scroll down and Click on Low Carb Support Focus Group. Then click on Confession Booth. You will be with many people feeling bad about going off course.

Good Luck :)

Pene

kypraia
Sat, Jan-18-03, 21:56
Don't be so hard on yourself!!

There's always a period of transition where you have to get used to all the rules, you get used to making sure you have low carb snacks ready (a few bars in the car, etc). Don't worry about the peanuts. Just rededicate yourself to the plan, and you'll be fine.

When I first started LC, my mother and I went out to dinner (actually it was the night before) and we went to a restaurant, and I sat there and went through every single item on the menu and we discussed why I couldn't have a single dish on the entire menu (as served). I had to get used to the idea of saying "can I have steamed broccoli instead of the potatoes--don't bring the bread--is the iced tea unsweetened?--could you show me the nutritional information for this dish?, etc at restaurants. For me, that was a tough thing at first, because I don't like to cause problems for people. At first, I was more willing to sabotage my diet rather than stand up for myself. Everyone has to adjust, and all this takes a few weeks to become second nature.

It was just peanuts, which are pretty Low carb anyway. Stick around the forum--there's a ton of great advice, experience, and support here.

Good luck w/ the house search, btw!

Best, Kypraia

tofi
Sat, Jan-18-03, 22:00
Hi voodoo. Considering that you could have stuffed yourself with pizza, hamburgers or potato chips, you did OK. Nuts are not recommended on Induction so it wasn't exactly keeping to the plan, but better than many alternatives.

Don't get upset about it. Just make sure that you go back to the Induction List for tomorrow and drink lots of water. You won't suddenly start gaining, but it may be a day before you start losing again. Carry on.

By the way, Dr. Atkins experience over 30 + years is that it doesn't accelerate weight loss to go down to less than 20 grams of carbs daily. In fact, it may worry your body that you are getting enough calories and fiber and just good food, and it could resist losing anything. So please go to 20 grams daily as recommended. He put it in the books for a good reason: it works better that way.

:wave:

voodoo
Sat, Jan-18-03, 22:09
Thanx very much for your words of support. As of right now I am 5'9" and weight 280, I have been a big guy ever since college and have repeately tried to loose weight. My wife and I are expecting a baby in April so I would like to loose as much weight as I can before our baby becomes mobile. Once again thanx!! :roll: