PDA

View Full Version : My life of kicks, flips, livers and gallbladders!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

beta1637
Sat, Jan-18-03, 18:54
Hi all,

Just a quick introduction of myself...I plan on using the forum often so I may as well get the formalities out of the way!

I start my LCing in two days, Monday the 20th of January. I'm excited for it, I need a good change. My primary motivation right now is weight loss. I was in very good shape a couple of years ago, but then injured myself doing martial arts. I decided to take "a little time off" and recover. Well, two years and 40 pounds later, it's time to get back into shape.

I turned 30 last year, which really didn't seem like a big deal to me at all. I figured that I would feel the same as I did in my twenties. <b>Was I ever wrong!</b>

Within the last couple of weks, I have discovered that I have liver damage from a medication that I was taking 1 1/2 years ago (for my injury), I need to have my gall bladder removed (the consult for surgery is next Friday), I developed "severe" pneumonia (the doctor's words, not mine) and my hip injury was never that bad, instead I have a disease called Ankylosing Spondylitis (essentially, a painful and progressive rheumatic disease...kind of like arthritis in your spine and hips, but certainly not life threatening).

So I guess that my theory about turning thirty not being a big deal was wrong! ;) However, I'm getting healthier now, and both my GI and my orthopedic surgeon have told me to drop weight NOW. The GI wants me to for issues related to my liver, my OS wants me to so that I can increase my flexibility and start exercising again (ironically, back to martial arts, the same things that we thought originally injured me!)

But enough boo-hooing; and no, I don't have Munchausen Syndrome (a little medical joke...if you don't know what it is, look it up). I'm excited to start LCing! I'm anxious to get back in shape, and I'm sort of hoping that the LC lifestyle will help some of these other issues that have popped up.

I want to thank those of you (and obviously there are many) who have publically displayed their successes and defeats with LCing here on the board. It's great to read about how others are doing things, and to learn from them.

I look forward to many post to the forum!
Matt

Talon
Sat, Jan-18-03, 20:54
Welcome to the forum! :wave:

May you have many successes on this way of eating.

kypraia
Sat, Jan-18-03, 22:05
Welcome to the forum, Matt,

You sound like you've got really good reasons to get your weight under control. Congratulations for deciding to do low-carb. It really does work, and you'll feel a LOT better in a few weeks. Just stick with it, because the first two weeks are tough but important, and you will soon get used to everything, I promise.

If you have any questions, there are always a LOT of people on here who can help out.

Kali orexi :D
Kyp.

beta1637
Sun, Jan-19-03, 15:11
Thank you both for the encouraging words. I've posted elsewhere in the forum and was pleasantly surprised at the quick responses of others...I'm looking forward to being a "success" story within this community!

BrewWa
Mon, Jan-20-03, 10:01
Welcome to the forum!

We have a few things in common. We live in the Pacific Northwest, do low carbing, and have AS. I was diagnosed about 10 years ago (I'm 48 now). The disease is present in my back, hips and shoulders. Losing weight is helping a lot. You seem to have a good plan to combat AS.

Good luck with your plan!

BrewWa

beta1637
Mon, Jan-20-03, 10:55
BrewWa,

I'm very new to the world of AS, but I think that I understand a good routine to prevent it from getting too bad. Flexibility and constant excercise seem to be the keys...have you found anything in your experience that might be helpful? I know this isn't an AS board, but heck, since somebody posted info about this obscure condition, I might as well ask some questions!

Mine affects mostly my lower back and left hip right now. Some days I cannot even walk without a cane, and even then it's a slow move. Other days, I do not notice any pain whatsoever! A very stange disease.

I hope that dropping weight and improving my eating habits will lead to greater flexibility and the desire to exercise even more, thus improving my mobility.

BrewWa
Mon, Jan-20-03, 12:39
Matt,

You are on the right track with flexibility exercises. Keep moving the joints; it can help delay the problems. I can relate to the some days are better than others.

Having A.S. can really be trying at times, but I keep a positive attitude. I still believe that I am a very fortunate person. I have great friends and family that understand my approach to the situation. I don't want any special treatment or sympathy, like you said it's not life threatening. Save your sympathy for the people who really need it.

In some ways having A.S. been a blessing. I've learned to enjoy life a little more. I hardly ever vacationed for the first almost 40 years of my life. Now we take a major vacation each year (Hawaii in 3 weeks).

I hope this helps you understand my approach to dealing with A.S.

Keep in touch, OK?

BrewWa

Kristine
Mon, Jan-20-03, 17:10
Hi Matt, and welcome! :wave:

I'm 28, and you're scaring me! :rolleyes:

beta1637
Mon, Jan-20-03, 17:17
Hey Kristine,

Sorry to scare you! I was just pointing out the irony of the fact that I was probably the only one in my group of friends who didn't really care about turning 30. Now, I am of the poorest health in that same group. Funny in a pathetic and sad sort of way! :cool:

I'm sure you'll be just fine. I really abused my body in my early twenties. Between martial arts, rugby and fraternity life...well, let's just say that I could have taken better care of myself. But that's what I'm ready to do now.

"Let not your heart be troubled"; great words to live by. Thanks for popping into my "intro"! It's nice to see some new faces.

Matt