PDA

View Full Version : New and Need Help

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

WindFlower
Tue, Jan-14-03, 07:36
Hello,
My name is Wind and I really need help understanding how this works.I have been on Weight Watchers,and I have lost a few pounds on it,but after a week it makes me feel sick.I usually get dizzy.I know that I need to cut out sugar totally.I suffer from Seasonal depression,and I'm finding it hard to concentrate on loosing weight,I am extremely obese and really need to lose weight,but I also want to feel energized and not dizzy losing it.I don't understand how the low carb plans work,do you follow some kind of points or rule or how much do you eat type thing,if anyone can help I would appreciate it.I really feel sick,between being overweight and depression.Thanks

Natrushka
Tue, Jan-14-03, 07:58
Originally posted by WindFlower
I don't understand how the low carb plans work,do you follow some kind of points or rule or how much do you eat type thing,if anyone can help I would appreciate it.I really feel sick,between being overweight and depression.Thanks

Wind, welcome to the forum. Hopefully LC will prove to be the answer for you, I know it's turned my life around.

I notice you have read Dr. Atkin's book. I suggest you pull your copy out and go over it again with a fine tooth comb - make it your best friend.

The long and short of LCing is this. It works by controlling your blood sugar and insulin levels. Carbohydrates are turned into glucose in the body and glucose causes insulin to be released. Too much insulin coursing through your body can negatively effect all kinds of things, not the least of which is how you store fat. Unchecked this can lead to cardio vascular disease, high blood pressure, type II diabetes and mood swings, just to name a few. By changing the balance of the nutrients coming into your body by following a LC WOE (Low carb way of eating) you control insulin and shift the balance of hormones toward fat burning, instead of fat storing. The net result is you feel better, you are no longer plagued by mood swings and uncontrollable hunger, and you burn fat for fuel.

There is no 'points' system. There doesn't even have to be calorie counting. You eat until you are full but not stuffed. You eat often and you eat reall, wholesome, natural foods. You avoid refined carbs (if it comes in a box or wrapped in cellophane you don't eat it!).

Again, this is just the Readers' Digest version. The book goes into great detail and should be your first place for information.

I hope some of this helps,
Nat

CanadianT
Tue, Jan-14-03, 08:17
Hi Wind,
The best way to start off is by doing some research into different plans that are available. Just by reading posts and going through all the info on this site, it should help direct you to a specific plan that will work for you.
2 years ago, i hit my lowest point, i was so depressed and I finally was ready to do something about it. I started off doing the 'normal diet', eating foods low in fat, but high in carbs. I initially lost some weight, but then i hit a stall and was starting to get really frustrated. I came online, and started to search different types of diets, and came across the name Atkins. I ended up buying the book and reading it. It helped me realize that my problem was the Carbs i was eating. I always thought that fat is what made you FAT, but it was actually the carbs. What i started to do, was avoid all pastas, breads, starchy veges, no fruits (anything that had refined carbs) and i noticed my weight start dropping again. This diet has been very hard for me at times, especially coming from an Italian household where fresh homemade pasta and bread is always available, and add the fact that i live on a fruit farm, lol.
But if you are really ready, and you want to do something about it, take action, do some reasearch, see what plan will work for you. If one doesn't seem to suit your needs, try a different one. Atkins is not for everyone, my sister tried it, and she quit after afew days. But look at me, 2 years later and i am down over 240lbs.
Another thing that might help you is by starting a journal. I started when i was 470lbs, and i still keep writing in my personal journal everyday. I write down everything i eat and then daily stuff that goes on in my life. When i gain abit of weight or have a stall, i like to review what i was doing, and if needed, make some changes and see if that helps. You can start a journal on here also, i have been thinking about doing that as well.
Just know, you are making the first step, and there are hundreds of other low carbers on this site that will help guide you along the way.

Toni :roll: