PDA

View Full Version : coarl calcium vs cal/mag supplements

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Flintstone
Sun, Jan-12-03, 11:07
Hi All...

Does anyone know if this new "Coral Calcium" can be subsituted for the recomended Calcium & Magnesium while doing Atkins or PP?

All the claims to this seem to be too good to be true...but I'm willing to give it a try.

Natrushka
Sun, Jan-12-03, 12:18
The calcium part can probably substitute, but I'd be hesitant to say that it could take care of the magnesium part. Magnesium, if you recall PPLP, is one supplement most of us are deficient in, and it's something we need. W/o magnesium other minerals, like calcium can't do their jobs effectively. All I can suggest is trying it but keep the magnesium handy, you may find you need it.

Nat

Flintstone
Sun, Jan-12-03, 16:58
Thanks Nat..

IYHO..do you think taking both would be too much calcium?
I currently take 2 - 333/133/5 calcium/mag/zinc supplements daily. I don't know the level of coral calcium (not bought, yet). Does calcium build up in the system or does it flush out what it does not use...as in Vitamin C.

Deb

Natrushka
Sun, Jan-12-03, 19:19
Deb, there are problems associated with too much calcium (regulara calcium) but it's in the range of doses exceeding 2,000mg. As for the coral calcium, this is from the FAQ of the supplier for Barefoot Coral Calcium:

Q - Are there any side effects of coral calcium?
There can be side effects of taking too much coral calcium (three to four times the usual dose) can lead to such side effects as constipation, dry mouth, a continuing headache, increased thirst, irritability, loss of appetite, depression, a metallic taste in the mouth, and fatigue. A normal daily intake of calcium (1,000-1,500 mg) along with magnesium and potassium is all that is needed to experience the healthful benefits of providing the body with adequate calcium. Higher doses of calcium are not better, and in fact the unnecessary calcium is not utilized by the body.

The body does have mechanisms to deal with too much calcium being ingested, however doses exceeding 4g per day can override this. The two most serious effects of calcium overdose are renal damage and the deposit of calcium in other areas of the body besides the bones. Anyone taking too much calcium might experience constipation or acid stomach (which is why it's good to take the magnesium, as it has an opposite effect with regard to constipation). It's best to keep supplements limited to 1500mg.

I would think if you took 600mg of regular cal w/ the mag and 600mg of the coral you'd be in the clear, though, Deb.

HTH
Nat

Flintstone
Sun, Jan-12-03, 21:00
You are so awesome, Nat.

Thanks

Deb