PDA

View Full Version : Looking for supplement suggestions

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LA125
Sun, Jan-12-03, 10:15
I am either a turtle or in an induction stall. I have taken out frankenfoods, dairy, caffeine, and artificial sweeteners and am about to give up butter and blue cheese dressing. I am desperate to lose something. I am hoping supplements can help me. I do have hypothyroid that is being managed with both Levoxyl and Cytomil (sp.?). Both T3 and T4 is being balanced.

I am presently taking: Xenodrine 2-4 a day
Green Tea Extract, 800 mg.
A good multi (especially for Low Carb eating) and B Complex
Zinc
C-1000
Omega 3 Fish Oil, 2 with each meal
Potassium, 3 x a day
I want to add: L-carnatine
Thyrolean
Guggulcomplex
COQ10
L-Tyrosine
Lipoderm-Y
DMAE
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Flaxseed Oil

Which supplement should make the biggest effect on metabolism? If I was to spend $50- where should I put my money? I want to add one or two at a time, so I can understand what is creating the change or not.

Natrushka
Sun, Jan-12-03, 12:45
Originally posted by LA125
If I was to spend $50- where should I put my money? The biggest proven supplement to increase metabolism is green tea extract. It can raise metabolism by 4% - you want to be sure that you're using something that is standardized to 60% polyphenols and is caffeine free.

Guggulesterones can help increase thyroid uptake, but should be cycled for that purpose.

The other big proven booster is of course the ECA stack. Is your Xenadrine the one with ephedra? If so, that with the green tea is a powerful combination.

You could spend even more $ but IMHO those are all you'd need.

Nat

LA125
Sun, Jan-12-03, 13:12
Thanks Nat,
Yes my Xenadrine has Ephedra and I am taking standerdized at 60% Green tea. How long should it take to expereince benefit? I have been on the Green Tea for less than a week and Xenadrine for a month. I am still stalled.

Natrushka
Sun, Jan-12-03, 13:59
LA125, at 5'8" 150 lbs your body might be trying to tell you something.

Have you had your body fat % tested lately? You might be surprized to find out what it is. It's entirely possible that scale loss for you isn't a) a good idea or b) going to be easy. I'd say definitely b and possibly a. What you might want to try to do is change your body composition. Exchange some fat for muscle and lean out.

You can accomplish this by lifting weights and eating a diet balanced for this (higher protein, moderate carb, moderate fat). It's possible to lift weights and change your shape so you fit into a smaller size while the scale doesn't change. Just something to think about.

Nat

LA125
Sun, Jan-12-03, 15:32
Hi Nat!
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I do know I looked and felt better at 135. I am willing to weigh 150 if my size 6's fit again. When I weighed 135 i was doing a lot of Firm tapes ( lots of weights). I am really not a gym person. I have weights from 3-15 lbs. I actually did a Firm tape today, it was the first time I have done one in a long time. Then Pilates after ( intermediate level).
I need to get one of those scales that measures body fat and weight. That might help my motivation. If I see no movement in the scale in the next two weeks I will have to rethink my program. Perhaps induction levels are too low for me--carbs that is. 2-4 more weeks of exercise and I will get my body fat levels checked.
I read today that you should set 5 other goals for your weight and fitness program other than weight loss, to keep motivated. So here I go:

1) To be able to do an advanced Firm tape easily.

2) To see more of my clavical bones and less hip.

3) To be able to get my nose to my knees when I do yoga. More flexible.

4)For my 8's to be really big on me.

5)More muscle on arm and less droop.

I am off on a 7 day trip. I hope I will have web access wher I am., so I can access the support forum. If not, I'll be back next Sunday.