PDA

View Full Version : Cardio vs. Strength Training

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Betty2003
Sat, Jan-11-03, 13:56
I'd like some opinions...I halted exercise during my two week induction, because I wanted to see if weight loss really could be linked to the diet (and a whopping 8 1/2 pounds thus far says a clear YES). I have two days left in my two weeks, then plan on continuing to follow induction rules but add exercise. I am only 6 1/2 pounds from my goal weight--but I can tell that 120 now will not look the same as my old 120, as I used to be all muscle. I had originally planned on doing a week of just cardio, then add strength training the next week. I was going to do that mainly to avoid a slow down in weight loss (for psychogical reasons, of course). Now I'm thinking I could really see the inches drop fast if I started the weight training...but it would likely "stall" the scales because I'd be putting on muscle. Should I go with a week of cardio then add strength training? Should I do both this week? Should I skip the cardio and just focus on strength training? Will strength training speed up weight loss initially (I know in the long run it will help)? I have an elliptical machine and bowflex at home--and workouts are limited to 30-40 minutes a day (I have a 1 year old on and work part time). Thanks for any input!

rspacher
Tue, Jan-14-03, 14:18
I am new to this board, but have been strength training on and off for 25 years, have been cocsistently for the last 7. Use the bowflex as your primary exercise, dont worry about what the scale says, as long as the inch's go away, what the number on the scale says does not matter so much. Use the cardio machine to warm up for your strength training and you should do just fine. I dont do any cardio at all, but due to the intensity level I am able to achieve with my strength training, I get a very good workout. I can play with my kids all day long, 11 yr old son, 9 and 7 yr old daughters, I wear them out before I wear out, not for long though they have youth on their side. Dont worry you wont bulk up and build large muscles, you will just become very toned and fit.

Thanks

Richard