PDA

View Full Version : Introduce myself

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

HawksNest
Sat, Jan-11-03, 09:33
Good morning......... My name is Janise(pronounced Ja-niece)..... and I am a carb-o-holic! I hate to say it, but it has to be true, as I ever so slowly keep the dial on the scale moving to the right. I spent five hours on this site last night before I signed up. Weird, I was the 20,000th person to join. What do I win????????? What do I win????? AHHHH, the opportunity to read this great site! And what a great site it is. Very informative.

My goal is to get down to 145. I know for my height I should be between 125 and 130. Maybe once I hit 145 I will be JAZZED enough to continue.

In 1994, my husband(whom I have been with since 1972, married in 1989) died. Who would have thought.. a widow at 38. We worked long hours(I still do) and ate most of our meals out(I still do but am trying not too). The least I've weighted in years is 152 in 1995. So, I need to retrain my brain. I feel I am the opposite of an anorexic. I don't think I am fat.... unitil I see a picture.

I am not working with good genetics as both parents have had heart attacks and are diabetic. That in itself should whip me into weight loss. OK enough of me.

Thank you for this site.. Janise

Talon
Sat, Jan-11-03, 09:40
Welcome to the forum! :wave:

This is a great forumfor motivation and is a wealth of knowledge.

.. And congrats on being the 20000 member! :)

Zuleikaa
Sat, Jan-11-03, 10:30
Welcome!
There's a lot of information and support on the forum. Read, read, read!

clrmind
Sat, Jan-11-03, 11:22
Hi Janise :wave:
Your story sounds so familiar--it could be mine. I just slowly let myself go. Ate myself low-fat style right up the scale. In my mind, I wasn't fat, but the size 22 pants said otherwise! I ate whatever I saw, whenever I wanted with no thought of the reprecussions. Let me tell you--it is so worth giving up those carbs I loved so much. Have not had not even one full bite of anything that remotely resembles bread, pasta or cereal since May 18,2002. As of last weigh-in, I am down 65 pounds and have never once had that hunger-starved feeling in my gut. The minute I feel it coming--am allowed to just go grab one of my legal treats to nip it in the bud.
:rose:
It is a mind over matter thing. Once you throw everything you have ever been taught about weight loss right out the window, and equip your mind with the new facts, following it is not so hard. Low-fat usually equals high-carb, make yourself aware of carb counts and jump right into the induction phase.

Enuff of me. Best of luck with this new lifestyle. Start a journal from the beginning and keep track of your losses and feelings, meet new people for support and generally have a great time while you make yourself healthier. I did not discover the forum until I was about 6 months into this WOL and can tell you it sure is a lot easier with support like no money can buy!
Come visit any time. :)
TTYL

GeorgiaB
Sat, Jan-11-03, 12:38
Welcome Janise!

I can definitely relate to your story. I've got diabetics and people with heart disease coming at me from both sides of my family...the skinny and fat ones alike! My mom died last year at the young age of 54 (heat attack...and we didn't even know she had heart trouble, but the autopsy showed arteries so thick that the blood flow area was the size of a pin-head). Something like that will definitely scare the bejeebees out of you...it did me!

I think we've come to the right place. Good luck and welcome!

HawksNest
Sat, Jan-18-03, 08:02
It is very nice to read the greetings I received. Strange how we are all linked by the good and bad of carbs. I had a bad week as a dear friend and retired co-worker passed away. I did not stick with anything this week except her daughter and tissues. Hope I can get into the swing of things now. Thanks.

HerbNurse
Sat, Jan-18-03, 13:45
Welcome HawksNest

First of all congratulations on choosing this way of eating for the rest of your life and for being the 20,000th member.

I too have a family history of heart disease and did have the scare of my life back in 1996 which started my road to weight loss.

You will love all the support you get from everyone here. You will help yourself by starting a journal and recording all your thoughts and food if possible.

If you haven't read Dr. Atkins book I recommend you do first, then it will all down hill from there.

We all look forward to following you in your success story.

HN