PDA

View Full Version : SF gelatin made with KoolAid

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

JudyAnn
Tue, Jan-07-03, 20:00
I'm trying not to use aspertame but I'm on induction and sf jello would be good. But I don't want to pay so much to order it! So I decided to try to make my own.

I made this the other night and it came out pretty good. I wasn't so sure about the measurements though.

1 pkg unsweetened KoolAid (any flavor, I used Mandarine Orange)
1 pkg unflavored gelatin (Knox)
1 cup boiling water
2 cups cold water
1/2 cup Splenda (or to taste)

I mixed the KoolAid with the Splenda then added the hot water and stirred till dissolved. Then added the cold water, poured into custard cups and refridgerated overnight. It came out really good! A little strong on the flavor. Could try using less KoolAid.

If anyone is good at this stuff, maybe you can give me some pointers.

Kemss
Wed, Jan-08-03, 15:23
Most grocery stores have the sf jello ... and this week Albertson's has it on sale for just $1 per large pkg.

JudyAnn
Wed, Jan-08-03, 19:54
Do you know any brands that don't have aspertame in them? I'm really trying not to use it. TIA

Sulli
Thu, Jan-09-03, 10:03
I've had really good luck using Diet Rite soda and plain gelatin. I used the package direction that calls for fruit juice. I use 1 cup of cold to soften the gelatin and microwave the rest (about 4 minutes in my 17 year old microwave). Add 2 packets of Splenda to softening gelatin. Add hot soda to softened gelatin. Stir really good to melt the gelatin. It will foam. Let it sit for a couple on minutes before pouring into container to be refrigerated.

Also...I'm a gummi nut! I've modified the above recipe to created what I call Almost a Gummi

use 1 1/2 cup hot soda
1 cup cold soda
2 packets Splenda
follow heating/mixing directions as above. Pour into 9X13 glass pan and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Cut into very thin strips for "worms" or cut very thin strips in opposite direction for mini blocks.

I keep mine in a baggie in the frige. Enjoy!

JudyAnn
Thu, Jan-09-03, 21:25
I thought about doing that too! Now I can use your recipe and won't have to make one up. I remember Jello used to advertise using soda to make sparkling Jello.

I like gummy stuff too. I'm going to try this. Thx for posting it.

Sulli
Thu, Jan-09-03, 22:25
We lo Carb ers have to stick together. Let me know what you think.

Have a great weekend!
Sulli

squeak
Tue, Jan-28-03, 09:38
You may all be doing this - But I just thought of it.

I like the fluffy jello desserts, but cool whip is off limits. So I made it with cream cheese and whipped cream. So yummy. Really basic instructions for anyone who wants to try it follow.

Make the jello and let it gel.
Soften ~1/2 package cream cheese in a bowl.
Mix in 2 tablespoons of heavy cream.
Whip the cream mix until smooth (i just use a fork)
then scramble it into the SF jello.
Finally you can add as much splenda and nuts as suit your taste.

akyser
Fri, Feb-20-04, 15:17
I like the fluffy jello desserts too. I use cool whip though. Heavy whipping cream has sugar in it too. 1g. per serving to be exact. What's the difference? I was just wondering.

huggs2ewe
Fri, Feb-20-04, 15:29
whipping cream has sugar in it too. FYI
The 1gram/ 2 tbsp of carb is from the natural lactose. Whipping cream (unless you mean the commercial stuff in a can) in it self does not have added sugar. Cool whip on the other hand is an edible oil product and has a lot of added chemicals and sugar.

I personally love and use a lot of heavy whipping cream, it's natural and adds lots of flavor. It is also on the can have list (in moderation of course) for Atkins. There are some things you got to just love about this WOE.

hope this helps