PDA

View Full Version : KJTurner????????????Plz. come in

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

rosethorns
Tue, Jan-07-03, 12:03
I am what my Dr. calls a true hypoglycemic ( whatever that means) anyway I was on a hypoglycemic diet 15 years ago did really great until I got married to a fellow chocolaholic that did it for me I gained. I went from 140 lbs. to 242 ilbs. in 5 years. Well that diet was not very good too many fruits and wrong things. Now I've been on Dr. Atkins since 9/25/02. I did very good until Thanksgiving when I got an allergy , I couldn't figure it out until last 2 weeks. Blue ch. dressing!!!!! so took it out and 2 days ago got some ceasar creaming dressing , now spots are back and itch. So I tink it is buttermilk. Hope I have figured it out. I have not lost anything since 11/25/02. My questions is should I go back to induction ot try the meat fast then induction again. Anything you could tell me would help. Thanks Esther

Lisa N
Tue, Jan-07-03, 13:35
Hi Esther!

I'm not KJTurner, but I have a couple of suggestions. Do you eat cheese just by itself and not get a rash? The reason that I'm asking is that I'm wondering if it's the cheese mold in the salad dressing that is causing the problem (there's parmesan cheese in Caesar dressing). If you're eating something that you're allergic to, that could very well be what's causing the stall. Allergies provoke a histamine response that will make you retain water. The trick is finding out specifically what you're allergic to. Molds are a big allergy for a lot of people. It could also be the vinegar in the dressing (I'm trying to think of things that both dressing would have in common).

rosethorns
Tue, Jan-07-03, 16:58
Hi Lisa Thanks for replying so quick. I don't think it's the vineagar but I'm not sure. Forever I've made oil and vinegar& spike and have done well with this. I love Blue ch. dressing so tried it I've been trying to find out what I am allergic to for about 6 weeks. The only thing in both that I have never really eaten is buttermilk. I have some blue cheese in a block so when i heal all the way , my feet are red and purple and my back and tummmy have a beautiful rash. I'm reading both bottles. But my mom said I may have eaten it for a long time and can suddenly get allergic. I was doing so good now I'm just fustrated. Thanks so much for your help. Esther

Lisa N
Tue, Jan-07-03, 18:25
Hi Esther!

Your mom is right. You can suddenly develop an allergy to a food that you have eaten for years without a problem. My DH had that experience last year and wound up having allergy tests because of it. He started having his throat swell whenever he ate raw apples, peaches, carrots or celery and he'd eaten them all his life. Unless you have an allergy to all dairy, it's probably not the buttermilk. Buttermilk is just milk that has been soured by adding a bacteria culture or vinegar. Hmmm...there's that vinegar again.
Unless you're willing to get tests for allergies, the only way to find out what you're reacting to is by trial and error and since the reaction tends to be stronger each time you're exposed to an allergen, that can be risky. You might want to contact your doctor or an allergist before experimenting on your own or at least have some Benadryl handy. If you happen to experience any tight feeling in your throat or chest or have difficulty breathing along with the hives and itching, get to an ER right away.

rosethorns
Wed, Jan-08-03, 10:27
Hi Lisa Thanks!!!!! I'm going to get some benadryl. I have the cream. And making a Drs. appointment today. Tahks again. Esther

kjturner
Tue, Jan-14-03, 03:36
GEE...I'm honored! (blush) I've been on vacation and I just flat out missed this discussion. I'd been on the forum only a couple of times and then only to go back to a couple of threads I'd been following, so I didn't even see this. I see my fellow forum posters jumped right in there and gave you some good answers. But anyone is free to email me personally if you need to.....