PDA

View Full Version : Provera

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tlawson
Sun, Jan-05-03, 15:56
Hello everyone,

I just thought I'd pop in here and see if anyone has any experience with my problem. I have PCOS and have to take Provera every 2-3 months to induce a period. I have tried Metformin, but truthfully the side effects far outweighed any benefit (I couldn't find any!!). Anyway, I have been doing the Provera thing for a number of years now and have always had the same thing - take the pills for 5-7 days, wait around 5-7 days (with major cramping, bloating, mood swings, etc.), then have a 5-7 day period. When I first started this, I was confused about the 5-7 days after stopping the pills because the pharmacist told me that "theoretically" I should be getting a period the very next day after I stopped the pills (never happened that way for me).

However, it seems lately that this is not working quite the same for me. I even had one time where I barely had a period after the Provera. I asked my GP about this and she said it could just be less estrogen build up etc. as I'm getting older (32 now, started this when I was about 22). Anyway, I'm concerned. I'm going to phone my doctor on Monday, because again I've taken the Provera for 5 days, but as of yet, nothing. I have terrible cramps etc., but no period yet.

Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with Provera?

Thanks,

Elizabeth2
Tue, Jan-07-03, 11:34
Teresa,

I read your post and wanted you to know that you are not alone. I, too, have PCOS and have been on Prescribed Provera since I was 16 or 17. I am now 33. I am souuposed to take it every 2-3 months, but often times, I go longer than that. I been instructed to take it 2 different ways - 1 pill a day for 10 days, and 2 pills a day for 5 days. Either way, it works just about the same for me.

I ususally start my period anywhere from 5-21 days after the last Provera pill, and usually suffer with cramps, bloating, etc., as you described. The periods usually lasts anywhere from 5-14 days, and are usually quite heavy.

I think what you are describing is likely very normal for a PCOS person, but I agree that you should follow up with your doctor if you have questions or concerns.

By the way - I just restarted taking 1500mg of Met. It does have awful side effects that do not dininish for me, either. The reason that I continue on with it is because I think the side effects - as unpleasant as they are are helping me to lose some weight.

-Beth

Elizabeth2
Tue, Jan-07-03, 11:40
Teresa,

I read your post and wanted you to know that you are not alone. I, too, have PCOS and have been on Prescribed Provera since I was 16 or 17. I am now 33. I am souuposed to take it every 2-3 months, but often times, I go longer than that. I been instructed to take it 2 different ways - 1 pill a day for 10 days, and 2 pills a day for 5 days. Either way, it works just about the same for me.

I ususally start my period anywhere from 5-21 days after the last Provera pill, and usually suffer with cramps, bloating, etc., as you described. The periods usually lasts anywhere from 5-14 days, and are usually quite heavy.

I think what you are describing is likely very normal for a PCOS person, but I agree that you should follow up with your doctor if you have questions or concerns.

By the way - I just restarted taking 1500mg of Met. It does have awful side effects that do not dininish for me, either. The reason that I continue on with it is because I think the side effects - as unpleasant as they are are helping me to lose some weight.

-Beth